MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Reccomended Gear for 1st Elk Hunt in 2020

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Hello everyone and thanks for taking time to read my post and answer questions for a rookie.

I am new to the forums and new to Elk hunting. It's always been a dream of mine to go to Colorado for an elk and it's finally going to happen in 2020. Good Lord willing, that is....

My questions are, what are the necessary gear items that you wouldn't go without on a SW Coloado drop camp hunt in wilderness area?

I don't have the final details on the area or the elevation we'll be hunting yet, but I know it will be about 7 miles in on horseback. 2nd or 3rd rifle. Camp will be provided with everything except for food, sleeping bags, etc...

I whitetail hunt in VA, and have pretty much everything I need for that, but not exactly sure what is a necessity for out there.

Looking for recommendations on heavywight base layers (wool or whatever you use), heavyweight camo (wool or whatever you use), heavyweight gloves, walking poles that maybe I can customize into a shooting rest, bino harness, spotting scope, tripods, water purification or whatever else you feel you need to be comfortable.

Please give brand info, why you think it's a necessity and why you think that brand is better than the other brands out there.

I have a .308 with 4x12 scope, roll my own reloads, 8x42 Leupold bino, Cabelas multi day pack with meat hauling compartment, my own personalized first aid/survival kit, leight weight base layers and camo, medium weight base layers and camo.

Are you going with someone who sets up camp for you or a outfitter?

Who ever that is, is the best person to ask.

But what you listed you already had is fine.

I would take multiple layers of lighter weight base layers and Camo than fewer heavier layers. It could be warm or bitter cold and snowy. You won’t know for sure till you’re on the mountain. Enough layers could have you ready for -10 to 70 degrees. High quality gear is made by Sitka, kuiu, and first lite. I have some of each. Hiking gear works well as well, just stay away from cotton if you can. That said, lots of game has been killed by men in blue jeans with a lever action.
Have a great hunt.

Unfortunately the weather that time of year is not always predictable. It could still be quite warm or quite cold. From a cold weather perspective, I'd make sure I had:
-warm boots that you can side hill with
-puffy coat with a hood (doesn't have to be camo)
-lightweight rain gear (pants with full leg zips)
-mittens for glassing

A good backpack and pair of boots are deal breakers for any western mountain hunt really. I use Mystery Ranch Metcalf for a pack and Scarpa Kinesis (I think). Foot issues can take you out of the game in a nanosecond so it's good to get that right. I used the Metcalf this past weekend to haul out a mule deer in one load. It was close to 100 pounds with all my gear and while it wasn't necessarily comfortable, I've had worse experiences with way less weight. I'd bring a good 0 degree (at least) sleeping bag and an insulated pad. Good sleep is paramount if you're hunting more than a couple days. As far as layers, I like a light wool baselayer (First Lite wick or fuse), then Sitka Core heavyweight hoody, then First Lite Sawtooth Vest and a huge Outdoor Research puffy (for morning and evening glassing). I'll also throw a light rain jacket in the mix but I really never use it. On bottom I go First lite Boxers that are long and go right above the knee (best things ever) and a over the calf sock. This combo really eliminates the need for long underwear, which I don't like to wear if I can help it. I also rock the First Lite Uncompahgre puffy pants which are unbelievable. An orange beanie and ball cap and light liner gloves and heavier mittens round it out.

I don't think any one brand of high end clothing is really better than the other and I mix and match based on my needs and fit. On a rifle hunt camo isn't a necessity so you can get away with hiking/mountaineering brands too (Outdoor Research, Patagonia, etc.) Another thing that really helps a lot is a tripod for your binoculars. Not sure how I lived without one for so many years. Good luck

As was said earlier, go with layers rather than one or two heavy garments. Western hunting is no different than hiking the ridges around Fulks Run. The mountains are just taller. Make sure you have good boots. I like uninsulated Kenetrek Mtn Extremes. If you feel like you have to have insulation, keep it to 200-400 grams. You will be active anyway and too much insulation will make your feet sweat and then get cold.

Just get regular trecking poles. The ones that convert to a shooting rest are heavy and not that good for long distance shooting anyway. Spotting scope is not a necessity and you probably will get tired of carrying it. Get a jet boil stove and throw it in your pack. Nothing better than a hot cup of beverage or warm food on the moutain.

My go to layering system for my upper body consists of synthetic or lightweight wool long sleeve T-shirt. Fleece pullover, softshell jacket, down vest, and a waterproof/windproof shell for when the weather is wet or windy. Carry at least one or two extra pairs of wool socks in your pack and switch out at lunch time. Happy feet, happy hunter.

A lightweight foam pad to sit on while glassing or waiting can keep you on stand for a lot longer than freezing your keister on snow or wet ground.

Carry a small camera or your phone to take pics with.

Don't forget a rangefinder.
I forgot to mention I have an 850 vortex rangefinder. Not the greatest but it's what I could afford at the time. I mainly use it for bow hunting here. Idk how well it would do at longer distances, but it'll have to do because it's what I have.

A good backpack and pair of boots are deal breakers for any western mountain hunt really. I use Mystery Ranch Metcalf for a pack and Scarpa Kinesis (I think). Foot issues can take you out of the game in a nanosecond so it's good to get that right. I used the Metcalf this past weekend to haul out a mule deer in one load. It was close to 100 pounds with all my gear and while it wasn't necessarily comfortable, I've had worse experiences with way less weight. I'd bring a good 0 degree (at least) sleeping bag and an insulated pad. Good sleep is paramount if you're hunting more than a couple days. As far as layers, I like a light wool baselayer (First Lite wick or fuse), then Sitka Core heavyweight hoody, then First Lite Sawtooth Vest and a huge Outdoor Research puffy (for morning and evening glassing). I'll also throw a light rain jacket in the mix but I really never use it. On bottom I go First lite Boxers that are long and go right above the knee (best things ever) and a over the calf sock. This combo really eliminates the need for long underwear, which I don't like to wear if I can help it. I also rock the First Lite Uncompahgre puffy pants which are unbelievable. An orange beanie and ball cap and light liner gloves and heavier mittens round it out.

I don't think any one brand of high end clothing is really better than the other and I mix and match based on my needs and fit. On a rifle hunt camo isn't a necessity so you can get away with hiking/mountaineering brands too (Outdoor Research, Patagonia, etc.) Another thing that really helps a lot is a tripod for your binoculars. Not sure how I lived without one for so many years. Good luck
Thanks for the detailed info

As was said earlier, go with layers rather than one or two heavy garments. Western hunting is no different than hiking the ridges around Fulks Run. The mountains are just taller. Make sure you have good boots. I like uninsulated Kenetrek Mtn Extremes. If you feel like you have to have insulation, keep it to 200-400 grams. You will be active anyway and too much insulation will make your feet sweat and then get cold.

Just get regular trecking poles. The ones that convert to a shooting rest are heavy and not that good for long distance shooting anyway. Spotting scope is not a necessity and you probably will get tired of carrying it. Get a jet boil stove and throw it in your pack. Nothing better than a hot cup of beverage or warm food on the moutain.

My go to layering system for my upper body consists of synthetic or lightweight wool long sleeve T-shirt. Fleece pullover, softshell jacket, down vest, and a waterproof/windproof shell for when the weather is wet or windy. Carry at least one or two extra pairs of wool socks in your pack and switch out at lunch time. Happy feet, happy hunter.

A lightweight foam pad to sit on while glassing or waiting can keep you on stand for a lot longer than freezing your keister on snow or wet ground.

Carry a small camera or your phone to take pics with.
Thanks for your detailed response

A few odds and ends that may have been missed:

For a second season/3rd season drop camp I would swap my bag for a 0 degree synthetic bag, add a puffy vest, and change out my wool mittens for some leather choppers.

Second Page.

I’m also from VA and a buddy and I did our first elk hunt during second rifle this year. We packed in 5 miles with a forecast of 1-3 inches and by day two we had 16”. Day three we packed out which was miserable in snow that was to our knees in spots. Point being the weather is just as unpredictable there as it is in va beach. We had a wall tent setup at the car which is where we took residence for the rest of our trip.
Indera makes great base layers and meriwool makes a good 400g merino top and bottom for sitting or sleeping. We went back and forth on puffy jackets and honestly ended up ordering “amazon essentials men’s puffy jacket” which was synthetic and they also make a down. Wore the synthetic overtop of the down while glassing during the snow. Both jackets will run you about $45-50 a piece and I was shocked at the warmth they provided. While saving some coin between thejackets I did buy a nice sleeping bag. Nemo disco 15* bag with a thermo lite extreme 25* liner. I only used the liner two nights in the back country. A good set of gators is a must and I used the “outdoor research croc gaiters”
An Anker charger off of amazon as well to charge phone. (If you have a Garmin inreach they will not charge from aknee chargers) but the batteries last for 4 days easy with it constantly on.
North Star makes great chopper mits and heavy wool mitts.
The camp chef Stryker stove worked great for me and mountain house or peak refuel we’re both great meals.
pyro putty and a few diff fire source options. Honestly we both brought entirely too much but there were things we were glad we brought.the entire experience including the 1,900 miles each way was a blast and the amount of game we saw was unreal. Shoot me a message if you have any questions

When picking your boots remember that you might have 100 pounds on your back...(hopefully). I loved my danner pronghorns until I had to pack out an elk. I now have something much stiffer (Mendel Denali) to deal with the extra weight.

An Anker charger off of amazon as well to charge phone. (If you have a Garmin inreach they will not charge from aknee chargers) but the batteries last for 4 days easy with it constantly on.

Really? Are you talking about the older units of the brand new one that is a full GPS and InReach in one package? Did it just not charge or did you get an error or something?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back