Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I know, right? wllm has me feeling like I'm not putting near enough thought into my process. He also has me dying to know what's in his pack, other than 54.6 lbs of the good stuff and a sleep system. I feel like he's pretty dialed in for a guy that needs more time in the gym and at his high school track.

Last edited:
Good stuff. I’d like to try the backcountry hunting camp thing one day. Was there anything in your pack you didn’t use or would not take again? All seems like it has a purpose, whether it turns to “survival” or had a current use. What about food? I may have looked over it somewhere.

Below average hunter, above average camper.

The camping skills aspect is an overlooked part of successful back country hunting I think. Knowing how to be comfortable in an uncomfortable area, and knowing the right things you need in order to do that is important, and something only won with experience. You can tell guys "you won't need that, it's just added weight" but until they carry it up the mountain, and the mountain kicks their ass a few times, they don't know how to distinguish between need and want. At least in my experience.

Good stuff. I’d like to try the backcountry hunting camp thing one day. Was there anything in your pack you didn’t use or would not take again? All seems like it has a purpose, whether it turns to “survival” or had a current use. What about food? I may have looked over it somewhere.

I don't use the leatherman, lens cleaner, bore snake, or hand saw very often... but when I do it tends to be a make or break situation for the trip so...

If it's hot I will drop the puffy pants, in october I will add a soft shell jacket. I won't go in the back country without rain gear.

I updated the gear list and back calculated food + water, it's a WAG but I didn't weigh it when it came out of my pack... I had 2-3 days of food left.

Also the Ursack is totally unnecessary and I only had it because of legal requirements in that unit.

Last edited:
Great post and full of useful information.

It is amazing how many hunters tell you about packing out 150 pounds of boned out meat from an average sized mule deer. They have never weighed anything. We are lucky to get 50 pounds of cut and wrapped boneless meat from a California mule deer and sometimes it might be 40 pounds.

I agree. I feel like 55 pounds is a pretty good buck. I don’t think most people weigh it, and just take a guess.

Good info!

Yeah I would be interested in what a big muley weighs, maybe 30lb more?

I wanna say the boned out meat off of a buddies 187” buck was 75 lbs. Right around there.

You can always decipher the credibility of a handle by how much meat their buck/bull yielded..

Great right up and congrats, neat country.

Thank you for the high-quality thread Wllm!! I appreciate the knowledge dump.

This was my 7th muley, and I think the 2nd smallest in terms of body size. The largest was this massive 3 pt I shot (29in spread) I think that guy would have been 80ish... well at least 70...

Good to know. I guess I always shoot the dinks! :LOL:

I don’t weigh all of my boned out meat, but on the ones that I have they’ve usually been in that 50-60 LB range. I should start weighing them more.

Below average hunter, above average camper.

Dont sell yourself short. It look like you did great on both sides this time.

This is very helpful information for me. I still have a lot to learn about hunting without horses and what it takes. Did you happen to take and weights of the quarters with bone in?

Good job on the hunt. Exceptional job on the detailed write up and camp/pack details. The amount of time, effort, and attention to detail applied not only to the hunt but the informative explanation is much appreciated. You my friend, are MVP so far this season.

Back