rebarreling 270 to 280ai

MThuntr

I'm trying to talk myself out of a Kimber Hunter in 280ai so I'm considering having my 270 Win Model 70 featherweight rechambered/rebarreled to 280AI. I'm also thinking of having it cerakoted while they are messing with it.

Anyone have any idea of what this would cost? Recommended guys?

Side question would you just have the factory barrel rebored or go full rebarrel with a similar profile?

Last edited:
You’re looking at about $800-850if you go with a Krieger/bartlein. You could save a little cash on the barrel but if it were me, I’d just go with the top end. Personally I wouldn’t mess with a rebore but that’s just me. My brother has been cranking out rifles for a few years. No website but he’s got a Facebook/Instagram, four o six gunsmithing

I had a Rem 700 25-06 re-barreled to 6.5x06. Had a Shilen barrel put on it and provided a dummy cartridge for how I wanted it chambered. Number of years ago and seem's to me it was around $800.

Definitely rebarrel with an aftermarket barrel. Are you looking to keep it the same weight? Using the factory stock? There are a few companies that will duplicate the m70 featherweight contour or you can get pretty close with a few other contours.
I’d rechamber to the specs of 280ai Nosler brass and not worry about fire forming if I went AI again.

Not sure they'd rebore a barrel to one that close in diameter. IIRC, one of the rebore guys had a minimum difference clause before he'd rebore.

I'd opt for a rebarrel if I was wanting to go to that cartridge so as to be able to have more choices on barrel length, profile and twist. The first and the last of those would depend on what you are planning on as far as a stock goes and planned usage.

Then again, R26 will reportedly get 150gr bullets close to 3000fps. That covers a whole lot of territory...

Rebarrel for sure. Get a stainless custom. 9” twist. It’ll handle even the 195 EOL, and probably other brands longest bullets as well unless you plan on shooting it at sea level in the cold.

Unless you wanna keep the .270 Win.

Not sure they'd rebore a barrel to one that close in diameter. IIRC, one of the rebore guys had a minimum difference clause before he'd rebore.

I don't think its even possible. They have to have enough metal to scrape out so that the rebore completely cuts new lands and grooves. 0.007" ain't gonna get you there.

I'm partial to the M70. Compared to most of the rifles I've shot, I've never found an action as smooth as that one. Although, I know they exist. Re-chamber/re-barrel the old girl!

Additionally I'm jealous that you're having to make this choice.

These words confuse me ;).

Economically, the rebarrel is going to cost just as much as the Kimber Hunter. Having 2 rifles v. 1 > than the cost of a scope.....

I know...I'm always trying to talk myself out several rifles (today it's the Kimber Hunter and last week it was Rem 700AWR in 300RUM). The 270 shoots ok it's not as magical as the 280ai to me but maybe that's the way it'll have to be since the estimated price of a rebarrel is rapidly approaching a new rifle. I think I'll have to wait on either option until we find out the results of the Alaska draw next month.

Having shot a number of elk and a pile of other critters with both a 270 and 280... the magic is between the ears. :) That said I do prefer the 280 because I have a few .284 bores and I use the same bullets.

I would pick up a Montana over the Hunter if it was me. The stock is worth the extra coin, IMO. The Hunter stock is really cheap feeling, IMO.

Having shot a number of elk and a pile of other critters with both a 270 and 280... the magic is between the ears. :) That said I do prefer the 280 because I have a few .284 bores and I use the same bullets.

I would pick up a Montana over the Hunter if it was me. The stock is worth the extra coin, IMO. The Hunter stock is really cheap feeling, IMO.

That's obvious of course especially since I have a host of other rifles that already fill the niche but there is an infinitely small space between a couple rifles that I feel the need to fill.

Personally,
If the 270 shoots well, i'd keep it and save for the Kimber.

I know a lot of people on the forums exclaim to "buy nothing but the best" and that would include barrels. Bertlein, Kreiger, Pac-Nor, and others do make some darn fine barrels.
But....
I'm one with a financial deficit. I like good, less expensive products that get the job done.
Hence i'm a fan of E.R.Shaw barrels.
And the ones i've gotten from them thus far shoot sub MOA to 600 yards.

Let the "buy once, cry once" griping begin....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back