Range Time?

ThunderNocked

Hey guys, I try to do more lurking then posting but I'm also trying to be active on here. I think there is value in different opinions, ideas, skill level, environments and backgrounds. I try to search on here before posting as well to make sure I'm notcoming up with the same questions that has been asked a million times.

Having said all that my question for you guys is this - I am wanting to improve my shooting and extend out to 450 yard ranges. After my Sheep Hunt this October I realized even though I hope to get within 300 yards that it would be very beneficial for me to be accurate out that far. The local range here goes to about 300-335, and I've never consistently shot that. With Ammo shortages what they are - what are some things we can do to become (specifically me) better shooters. I was going to start by spending more times at the range - pure and simple. I've never been someone who has shot enough since I started hunting - between my 5 kids and wife I just haven't dedicated enough range time. I was going to shoot A LOT and start with a lot of range time with my 22LR, an old Remington 511 Score Master, bolt action, iron site. I am considering picking up a 223 or something else that shoots cheap and can throw alot more lead down range. Then my hunting rifle will hopefully be done soon and I can look at shooting it as well on a smaller scale to get familiar with the gun, keep me accurate and more.
So what 'drills', skills, etc are good to help get you more comfortable, to get you more set and help me (us) become more accurate and competent shooter which intern makes us more lethal hunters?

I like the idea of shoot 22LR at extended ranges. It will give one the sense (drop and drift) of shooting a centerfire at a much further distance. My 22 and the big game rifle I'll use most often are set up the same. Same action, same scope.

For an understudy centerfire rifle I'd look for a cartridge/load combination that flies (drop and drift) similar to what your primary big game load is. A fast twisted .223 shooting 75+gr bullets will likely mimic the ballistics of your big game rifle.

Then shoot them from the same positions as you would in the field. I try to stay off a bench as much as possible once I am sighted in how I want to be.

PS- Cheap and available, even with 223, are not good ammo adjectives currently...

Buy a piece of ar500or550 steel and take it out and ping it! Take kids and place it at longer distances and shot all kinds of different positions. That gong sound just makes it fun. Buy a can of black and a bright color spray paint(cheapest or leftover old stuff) and repaint target as needed. In long run SUPER cheap!

Practice matters, caliber not as important!

Buy a piece of ar500or550 steel and take it out and ping it! Take kids and place it at longer distances and shot all kinds of different positions. That gong sound just makes it fun. Buy a can of black and a bright color spray paint(cheapest or leftover old stuff) and repaint target as needed. In long run SUPER cheap!

Practice matters, caliber not as important!
this was kinda my though. Just more range time, more shooting, getting more comfortable shooting all the rifles, etc.

Get behind your gun and shoot improvided, sometimes I do a 10 push up and shoot one or two shoots. Practice!

That’s the hope.
Did you mean Improvised? I want to shoot 200-300 rounds just through it but with ammo shortages I don’t think I’ll be able to do that. I’m going to possibly try to reload later but I gotta find bullets and primers.

That’s the hope.
Did you mean Improvised? I want to shoot 200-300 rounds just through it but with ammo shortages I don’t think I’ll be able to do that. I’m going to possibly try to reload later but I gotta find bullets and primers.
Thank you , I mean improvised!

Personally I find that dry firing is a huge skill builder.
I have poor breath and trigger control and just 20-50 dry fires a couple times a week causes noticeable improvement.
I set up a miniature deer silhouette down my hallway and crank the focus way in then set up on a bipod, pack, offhand or whatever else in feeling that day.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. The safety considerations should be obvious, hell of a lot of bad guys have been killed by killing the TV. Been quite a while since I’ve been up to North Pole But my guess is you can probably go out behind the house or open up your garage door and not generate a SWAT call out While doing your dry fire drills. Perfect practice makes perfect; if you’ve never had any formal instruction in position shooting google it. For what ever it’s worth, all you all paid me to shoot once a week for twenty years, you sent me to schools all across the country so I could make the shot and teach others as well. Even the hi speed MP5 schools and 360 degree shoot houses started with basic fundamentals. Dry fire was always on the list.
you‘ll know you’ve arrived when you can go prone with a proper sling, have one of the kids balance a coin { flat, not on edge} near the muzzle and have it stay when you drop the hammer.
Good luck on your sheep hunt;
My first Caribou, some place between North Pole and Circle circa 1961

Attachments

• A0FCD929-03E7-479D-8A6B-960A8223FF25.jpeg
    A0FCD929-03E7-479D-8A6B-960A8223FF25.jpeg
    781.8 KB · Views: 13
Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. The safety considerations should be obvious, hell of a lot of bad guys have been killed by killing the TV. Been quite a while since I’ve been up to North Pole But my guess is you can probably go out behind the house or open up your garage door and not generate a SWAT call out While doing your dry fire drills. Perfect practice makes perfect; if you’ve never had any formal instruction in position shooting google it. For what ever it’s worth, all you all paid me to shoot once a week for twenty years, you sent me to schools all across the country so I could make the shot and teach others as well. Even the hi speed MP5 schools and 360 degree shoot houses started with basic fundamentals. Dry fire was always on the list.
you‘ll know you’ve arrived when you can go prone with a proper sling, have one of the kids balance a coin { flat, not on edge} near the muzzle and have it stay when you drop the hammer.
Good luck on your sheep hunt;
My first Caribou, some place between North Pole and Circle circa 1961
Awesome Caribou!
And the coin tip is nice! Thanks for the insight

And dry fire again!
Evert trigger feels different, dry firing get you comfortable with that pull. Had a good friend, just passed away from covid. He was a retired military marksmanship trainer. Started shooting with him way too late, breathing, dry firing and patience were all stressed. Until it was pointed out to me, never realize what the trigger pull could do to placement.
Good luck!

And dry fire again!
Evert trigger feels different, dry firing get you comfortable with that pull. Had a good friend, just passed away from covid. He was a retired military marksmanship trainer. Started shooting with him way too late, breathing, dry firing and patience were all stressed. Until it was pointed out to me, never realize what the trigger pull could do to placement.
Good luck!
sorry for the loss of your friend. Glad you have those memories and things to stick with you.

I agree with the majority of what was previously posted. I would add that there are good ways to maximize training value with limited ammo budgets. Focus on first round vital hits. cutout some scaled deer/elk silhouettes and set up scenarios where you need to take a shot. start with your pack on and rifle slung, and get from there to taking a shot in an efficient manner, and making an accurate responsible shot. Then try it again after a couple of burpees like grant said. all of these drill will really help you understand your capabilities, and find ways to get better. There is a lot of value in bullseye shooting and "scenario" or field based shooting exercises, you need to do both.

CZ makes some great full sized rimfires, that are great analogs for your hunting rifle, and are very affordable. I have a CZ457 17HMR I got for $450, threw an older VX-2 I had on it, and it is a blast to shoot, performs out to ~200yds, and feels great.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-american/

Yeah, missed
Did you ever mention the caliber of your rifle?
Huh, just looked back and it doesn't look like it.
280 Ackley Improved.
I have a local gun guy doing a semi custom job on a Kimber 84M Montana- it isn't fully custom but decided I wanted to pony up and get something a little more fitted - I sold my two older rifles and upgraded a couple steps up. I'll have the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 on top.

He is bedding the barrel, polishing all the fit and finish points and I had him cut the barrel and add threads and a custom cap. Its going to be sweet. I'm waiting for the stock to come back from the Hydro Dipper - he offered to get it dipped so I'm hoping to get it back this month.

I am actually going down to Washington the end of March for a weekend and my buddy has a property out there and is a long range shooter - is consistently hitting a 10" plates at 1600 yards and has now hit 16" plates at 1750 yards.
I'm going to have him run me through out to 800 as long as my rifle is completed by then.

If you can find ammo, I think a rifle similar in form factor to your big game rifle in .223 is a better practice tool than the often much smaller and lighter zero recoil .22LR, but any practice off the bench is good practice.

One little drill I did with my son was to put 3 - 18" paper targets each at 100y, 200y and 300y (total of 9 targets). Then had my son take 5 shots at each distance from 3 positions - prone over a pack, from a knee off of sticks and standing offhand. After his 45 shots we collected the targets and measured the spread of the 5 shots on each. In any where all were within a 6" circumference around the bullseye we called that a "GO". Throughout the summer he would repeat the process but for only the distances - one further than the previous GO. For example he was a GO at 300 prone over a bag so when we were at a range with 400y option he did that, otherwise, he skipped that one. But he was a GO at 200y for kneeling with sticks so he would practice just 300y kneeling next time. That meant he only needed 15-30 rounds each time depending on if he did 5 each or 10 each. As the seaon neared we repeated the first full exercise on a day with a bit of a crosswind. His "GO" from that day set his max shot for the upcoming trip for various distances. He got out to 450 prone with bipods and that is how he took his first antelope buck at 415y. But he would have passed on that shot if he had to shoot from standing as his go for standing was more in the 150y range if I recall.

Last edited:
Back