Wind reading and practice during a high wind day.

std7mag

I'm planning on a hunt in Wyoming this year.
Figured since you never know what the weather will be, I've started practicing more during high wind days here.
I set out a 6" diameter steel plate at 300 yards.
Shooting with variable winds ranging from 5-25mph.

Very telling on the effects the wind has on a bullet in these conditions.

Anyone else practice in the wind?

Figured since you never know what the weather will be, I've started practicing more during high wind days here.

Yes I practice in the wind, and 5-25 mph is a breeze here.

There are times sustained 45-55 mph isn't out of the question.

Lots of things to consider, wind angle/direction, speed, gusts, etc.

There is no science in shooting in the wind like there is with bullet drop, it's pure voodoo.

I've had bullets drift over 20 inches at 250-300 yards. There are many days in Wyoming I won't shoot at big game over 200 yards due to wind. It's irresponsible to do so, imo/e. Shooting in the wind confirms only one thing, best to get really close when the wind is honking.

You really have to experience the wind here to understand.

To caveat what @BuzzH said that wind is something else. Take plenty of chapstick and have some eye drops in the truck.

What appears a quick stalk turns into hours and by the time you get back your lips are cracked, your sunburnt, your eyes are snow burnt, and you’re out of water.

Wind lot different mountains. You claim to shooting BR and how did shoot in wind.

Luckily, the wind during my matches wasn't anywhere near what i've been shooting this week.

If i recall correctly, i think the worst wind i shot a match in was fairly steady ranging 5-10mph.

Definitely enough to throw off shots at 400 yards!

But this week.
Wind at bench 7mph by my meter.
But at 200 yards, tall grass flattening down in one direction and at 250 yards flattening down in the other direction.
Then switching and 20mph at bench from 7 o'clock, nothing at 200 yards, and wind did a 180° swap at 300.

Mountains, trees, buildings really had it swirling around!

I got lucky and hit 6" diameter steel plate 3 times out of 20 shots.

“Mph” your gun and you can shoot in the wind somewhat predictably. Adjust your wind speed till you get close to one tenth for every 100 yards. Run it with wind from 90 and 270 then average them together. I’d call this gun a 10 mph gun. Basically I know for every 10 mph of wind I’m one tenth per 100 all the way out to 800 then + two tenths.
IMG_1682.jpeg

IMG_1680.jpeg

I try to go to the range on the windiest days and usually practice on 6”@600 and 10”@1k. For me I’m trying to get first round impacts 100% of the time on 600 yard target in any wind and say 80% first round impacts on the 1k with 100% second round impacts on the 1k after adjusting for a miss. That’s the goal I’m setting for myself anyway.

There are some amazing wind shooters roaming around Montana and Wyoming. Im not one of them but pretty sure there are some in this site. Guys out there running 80-90% impacts on 100 rd matches in 10-20 mph winds.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back