Beyond Frustrated

Hunter4Life78

Many years ago a second shooting range was developed as there was only one public range in my county. The first range was located next to the county landfill and went out to 100 yards give or take a yard. This range had zero control and it turned into dump off old televisions, refrigerators, windows, etc. It was littered with busted glass, at times you felt you needed a tetanus shot just looking at the range. It was ultimately shut down and redeveloped. It was a still a flat range and a codes gate was put in you buy a membership and have access when it's not monitored. 20 miles away not a huge distance to drive. Put a cover over the benches. Really turned it around.

A second range was developed. This offered a .22 range with steel flippers, a pistol range with steel to shoot. An archery range, bring your own 3-D target. A covered hundred yard tunnel to get your rifle dialed in. A Hundred yard rifle range with the ability to shoot out to 410 on the hillside numerous steel plates and target stops out to the 410 distance. Bathroom facilities, all covered benches, video surveillance etc. Ten minutes from my house. $45 dollars for a family for the year. $2.00 range fee per person with membership $5.00 for non-member if accompanied by a member to get through the gate. Many happy memories there at this range with the old man and the kids.

I buy my membership I go to shoot on my day off. Get to the range and find big red sign on gate. RANGER CLOSED. Drive back to sporting good store ask how long range is closed. I get met with,"We were just told today that it closed indefinitely." OK, what happened now." This is the third time the range has been closed. Pistol range was closed after ar-15 pistols were shot at the pistol plates and were going everywhich way. Someone apparently felt the need to fire shotguns through the walls of the shooting area, and now .300 Win Mag rounds were found lodged in multipe walls of a house.

The range is backed by a hill offering ample safety for shooting. Berms are more than sufficient along the sides and run the full hundred yards for the rifle range. Near ads I can figure someone(s) in their infinite wisdom felt the need to shoot at the crest of the hill for the sheer enjoyment of it and managed to lob their rounds into the house and caused my fortress of solitude to be sent to possible death row for demolition.

Now we have to wait to see if we are going to be refunded our memberships and of course the meeting for this decision is closed.

Long post I know just needed to vent. New rifle, new setup, need to see what rifle likes ammo wise, and am now looking at having to drive an hour+ since the first range is only open is being used for special events thus summer. Never will understand what goes through people's minds. GRRRRRR!!!! And that's nicest thing that has come outta my mouth since my range got shut down.

Yea it’s the gun control nuts and anti hunters here that show up on state land in numerous places …trash the place and leave garbage all shot up, shotgun shell casings all over, broken clays. Shot up bottles, cans, TVs and things like targets stapled to mattresses. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think some self introspection is in order fellas. We have way too many flat out useless slobs in our ranks.

Up here in Alaska, I've seen a couple gravel pits closed permanently due to slob shooter.

I shoot at a gravel pit 10 minutes away from my house. I shoot every Monday.
I take my pickup with an empty bed and load it with propane cylinders, freezers, TVs, broken bottles, pallets,etc
from the weekend slob shooters. I figure it is tax for my shooting at the gravel pit.

It seems that once it's clean, some slob shooters get the message.
I also posted a warning sign, gravel pit will be closed unless shooters take home any targets they bring.

There have been numerous parcels of DNR land closed to public shooting where I live. The county enacted no shooting ordinances (except for lawful hunting) because of:

1. People shooting trees until they fell over
2. Litter
3. More litter
4. Errant bullets

Shutting down public and private ranges is a new strategy for the anti-2A crowd. Attack the ranges for safety reasons and then sue them into oblivion for liability. Forewarned. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
Did you read the OP? Sounds like a bunch of jackass bubbas that shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm are the problem.

BHA has literally picked up 4 tons of crap hauled out and left by target shooters on BLM land near Laramie. I'm sure it's back to being a goddamn mess again. People are pigs and for whatever reason target shooters are some of the absolute worse.

We had a local open shooting area called Rose Valley get shut down due to trash too. We saw people dumping appliances and they weren’t even shooters. Then later people do shoot the TVs and washing machines. Definitely a bad situation.

Yea it’s the gun control nuts and anti hunters here that show up on state land in numerous places …trash the place and leave garbage all shot up, shotgun shell casings all over, broken clays. Shot up bottles, cans, TVs and things like targets stapled to mattresses. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think some self introspection is in order fellas. We have way too many flat out useless slobs in our ranks.
As a hunter look for sign as to what “category” of people are leaving trash. Left behind empties of keystone light, coors or miller could suggest drinkers materially different in ideology than those who drink craft IPA, bud light lime, or hard seltzers…

If the empties are PBR or bottles of Fireball then who knows.

As a hunter look for sign as to what “category” of people are leaving trash. Left behind empties of keystone light, coors or miller could suggest drinkers materially different in ideology than those who drink craft IPA, bud light lime, or hard seltzers…

I did find some vortek optics boxes and Velveeta cheese wrappers... lol

In all seriousness this just sucks. I don't know that even having the range manned would help. I'd offer on my days off if it kept it open.

I remember one time we had 10 teddy bears hanging from our fence by mini nooses. The bodies shot off and heads all barely hanging on. That was pretty special to find. Along with 2 pickup loads of tires cans and trash. The next couple weeks it was pallets, a shopping cart and mattresses. Id love to catch them SOBS.

I agree with @BuzzH on that. Some target shooters are absolutely unfknreal.

I have a neighbor a couple miles away that claims to be some kind of hot shit target shooter. He has old appliances, TV's, computers, bottles, you name it on a piece of HIS OWN PROPERTY!! It's a terrible eyesore 50yds out his back door. He thinks nothing of it. It's not like he's some low rent POS either. He's a retired professional.

I have never understood the mentality of shooting the random odds and ends that people shoot on public land. Never have I had an old appliance/TV/couch etc, and thought, “man I ought to shoot this up!”.

I’ve shot tannerite maybe 2 times in my life, and even that left me with a bit of regret in how stupid it was.

I have never understood the mentality of shooting the random odds and ends that people shoot on public land. Never have I had an old appliance/TV/couch etc, and thought, “man I ought to shoot this up!”.

I’ve shot tannerite maybe 2 times in my life, and even that left me with a bit of regret in how stupid it was.
Why did shooting tannerite bother you? I just bought a 10# batch, 1# packages, for concussion blasting squirrel nests.

I've seen similar BS at the past two ranges where I've been a member; in Maryland and NM. The range in MD went out to 100 yards for rifle and had two pistol ranges. It was set up with "no sky" barriers where a round could not leave without hitting structure. People would shoot the structures with shotguns and shoot other parts of the structure where it was clearly intentional. Myself and other regulars could never understand why someone would purposely destroy infrastructure and endanger our continued operation. There is not way a person could have shot the infrastructure without intending to do so.

At my current range in Albuquerque vandals will screw down the swivel seats to where you cannot unseat them to raise the height (ha ha, that's real funny stuff). They shoot through the job Johnny bathrooms which is a little unnerving when you're inside the unit and hope no one uses it as a target. We've given up on leaving brooms, dustpans, or any other items out for common use. Aholes will show up and start cursing and using vulgarities despite younger children being present. People suck.

If I found a bunch of empty bud light cans then I'd assume it's a hangout for slobs leading alternate lifestyles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back