Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Range finder help

Gunner46

Can somebody give me an honest review of a workable rangefinder, that won't drain the bank. Honestly, I'm about cashed out for this upcoming Wy Lope hunt, but I would like to toss in rangefinder, if there is one that can be reliable out to say 400 yds MAX. Beyond that, I'm not taking a shot.

I've hunted swamps, tangles, gullies, and the tight stuff. NO clue past 200 yds point and shoot.

This is just my take on rangefinders. I like for them to be able to pick up a pronghorn at about 7-800 if I can hold it steady enough. The reason being if I can range them at 700 and then range a rock at 400 I know that when I get to that rock I am in range. On my first trip out to eastern Wyoming we had 3 different more affordable rangefinders and they could only pick up at around 300 give or take. They often took too long to get a measurement. I went ahead a stepped up to a leica crf 1200 that I got used on ebay. It did everything I wanted. It has an auto mode that you hold the botton down and it keeps flashing ranges. This is important in sage on pronhorn because there is so much stuff to interfere with the laser beam. You can hold it semi steady and the range that consistently the same is the animal, not the rock behind it etc. The other thing nice on the leica is the narrow beam. This helps with divergence caused by all the sage and grass over the flat ground. Kind of like a flashlight on a table. It gives quicker results under these conditions. Lastly I don't like to many gizmos so I like that the leica lense just has a small sight window without a bunch of cluttered stuff.

The leicas are a little more pricey but are the cheapest of the higher end rangfinders like zeiss and swaro. Camofire has had them on sale and ebay usually has them also. I think if you want a cheaper rangfinder go with the nikon or bushnell they did ok for us out there up to around 300. Sorry leupold, but I had a leupold that was there top model at the time and had trouble with it picking up past 300 and I didn't like how large the sight window was or how cluttered the lense was. Good luck.

I'm in same boat Gunner.
The old Bushnell scout 450 just won't cut it.
I got a Vortex Ranger 1000,but it is so small it bounces too much without a rest for most applications.
I can read out too 800,if I get out of truck and rest it on the roof....forget walking and pulling it up for quick read without a brace,fine for the range or measuring close. Not the needed view of 400 or so for me. I did like the red led image of numbers.
Now I can't find it after last years hunt,so if I don't....

I bought a Vortex Ranger 1000 two years ago and have been very happy with it. It will easily range 600 to 700yds on game animals and I have ranged past 1000 on reflective objects

Camofire had been having the crf 1000 for $479, about 120 off. Ebay has some on as well as their lrf rangfinder which is just as good but bulkier. Some of those are used for $150. They are worth the money. Long range hunting had some good threads when I was looking the other year that helps to explain the divergence stuff.

I want a Leica someday. For now I have a leupold TBR rx1000 and it works great. My vote would be for the leupold or vortex. Should be able to find a good used one for a decent price.

Leica. Anything else is just wasting your money. Leupold is at the very bottom of the barrel IMHO.

I hunted 7 years with a Nikon Monarch 800 and it was a nice rangefinder for my intended purposes, very simple and quick readouts. I recently purchased a Manufacturer Refurbished Bushnell 1300 g-force for a little over $200 and have been very happy with it. Quite a few bells and whistles, but once you figure them out it is very handy. So far I have got readings out to about 900 on trees/rocks. As VAspeedgoat mentioned having the extra range is nice so you can range different objects and know where you need to get to for an appropriate shot. With that said, everything I have read points to Leica being the best bang for the buck.

This is just my take on rangefinders. I like for them to be able to pick up a pronghorn at about 7-800 if I can hold it steady enough. The reason being if I can range them at 700 and then range a rock at 400 I know that when I get to that rock I am in range.

Good advice here. I also have the Ranger 1000 and I've gotten 815 on big flat rocks in good lighting conditions.

A more reliable range with it is 15 yards to 600 yards though. So it will still work for archery. Antelope have been tough for me with any rangefinder because of the topography and their size. Looks like $325 plus shipping on ebay. Good warranty and good clarity. Has the angle compensation and I really like the small size.

I haven't tried a lot of others except the Leica 1600 and a Nikon. Was not impressed at all with the Nikon.

The Vortex works great for me, ranges 400 with no problem.

I guess this is where we get different ideas on what is junk and what is not. I was very unhappy with my leupold as I could only get about 450 out of it.

Not saying vortex is junk, just doesn't fit my needs. same with leupold.

Look for some superseeded models, for example when Leica produced the 1200 I picked up a 900 for about $250.

Don't overlook golfing models as well. They may be located in a store with a larger coupon/discount option.

The Vortex Ranger 1000 is a great option. I'm on my second one (I recommend using the included lanyard or otherwise strapping it to yourself/your pack) for a few reasons. The rubberized coating is great in the elements, the included belt/pocket clip helps to keep it at the ready, the tripod mount is a nice touch, and it's really simple to operate. The VIP warranty is worth the price of admission too.

The downsides are that it lacks any sort of holdover calculations/readout/reticle and it can sometimes be slow to acquire distances. However, I've gotten 900+yd readings on reflective targets and 500+ on deer sized game. I haven't had an opportunity to test it much beyond that, but I have seen reports that 700 yards is not unheard of on deer/elk/etc. The other downside is that if you drop it, the green color blends in very nicely with sagebrush and grass :mad:. Maybe I'll find it when I'm back in WY in the fall.

I've had several bushnell and they were functional out to 300 yards or so. I got a Nikon too that was about the same. I finally upgraded to a Leica and concur with every point VAspeedgoat makes above. They are worth the extra $$. All that said, if you just looking for the cheapest option, bushnell would probably serve you well

I bought a Vortex Ranger 1000 two years ago and have been very happy with it. It will easily range 600 to 700yds on game animals and I have ranged past 1000 on reflective objects

this!!! i have ranged rocks and large objects over 1100 yards with mine when mounted on my spotting tripod. and warranty is the best even on electronics they will replace/repair but that thing is built solid, i have had mine for 3 years and my only complaint is i didn't buy it sooner. i still need to sell my old Nikon 440 rangefinder anyone???

C

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back