Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dismal morning at the range......need help!

It's good at indicating where your problem lies, it's not for hunting. You can go through the process of elimination, or you can just randomly throw darts. Or listen to someone who doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Either way, good luck.

I didn't mean any disrespect but I don't think they make it for my 338. I'm up to any suggestions

If you don't want to try bedding the front (barrel), just put a couple layers of business cards, or maybe brass shims to apply some upward pressure (as opposed to free-floating). If the upward pressure leads to a good group instead of a random pattern, then you can bed the barrel.

I had read somewhere else about doing this. I had always heard free floating was king but then I read that thinner, sporter weight barrels had to much flex and that bedding the barrel would possibly help.

Everyone is pretty well spot on. It would seem it would have to be bedding, ammo, or just the recoil. I wouldn't bet it's the scope or rings personally. Could be though; you never know. As far as ammo goes, you never know what your gun is going to like. At the end of the day, 1.5 moa isn't terrible, but like you already know, not good enough for 400 or 500. You're being honest, counting flyers, and shooting more than 3 shot groups, which a lot of guys don't do. You'll get it figured out. Keep us updated. Will be interesting.

Thanks sir. I could separate 3 from the 5 shots and consider it sub moa but that one flier could be the shot at a trophy animal. I'll keep working with it

I'm going to rebed the action front and rear (factory is only around the recoil lug) and try again. I also have a practically new vx3i on another rifle I could try. I want do do one thing at a time so I can tell exactly what makes a difference if any

Be careful about doing alterations. Even though it's an improvement, it could void the warranty if not done by a gunsmith.

Be careful about doing alterations. Even though it's an improvement, it could void the warranty if not done by a gunsmith.

Very true, but the rifle is almost 30 years old, and isn't shooting the greatest. Personally, I wouldn't care about the warranty at this point.

Shooting factory ammo, you may need to shoot far more than just two to find something your rifle likes. My .338 X-Bolt shoots Federal Vital Shok 210 gr Partitions and Hornady 200 gr SSTs equally well. I had go try a number of different manufacturers and bullet weights to find the two that work best. Either one of those loads will kill anything in North America as far out as I am capable of shooting.

Swap the scope out. I spent a lot of range time and ammo chasing the cause of larger groups. It’s very insidious when the scope goes bad. Took the Leupold off and put on an old Burris and groups were instantly better. Leupold will replace the erector system in your scope.

Swap the scope out. I spent a lot of range time and ammo chasing the cause of larger groups. It’s very insidious when the scope goes bad. Took the Leupold off and put on an old Burris and groups were instantly better. Leupold will replace the erector system in your scope.

In post #30, he stated he returned it to Leupold a few years back and they replaced the erector assembly. I guess it's possible there could be something wrong with it now after several years.

I saw that. His results mirror what I was seeing though. Mine lasted a little longer on a 6lb 338 Fed.

I saw that. His results mirror what I was seeing though. Mine lasted a little longer on a 6lb 338 Fed.

I rebedded the action last night. I may try another ammo. If it doesn't shoot any better I'll swap scopes next

Bedding the action was a good idea. The rifle is grouping OK so I don't suspect a scope issue. I think it just might not like the factory ammo your feeding it. I would go buy a box or 2 of other brand/bullets and see what happens.
Are you shooting off a bench? Bipod? Rear bag? Lead sled?

Bedding the action was a good idea. The rifle is grouping OK so I don't suspect a scope issue. I think it just might not like the factory ammo your feeding it. I would go buy a box or 2 of other brand/bullets and see what happens.
Are you shooting off a bench? Bipod? Rear bag? Lead sled?

Bipod and rear bag, prone. I did notice some forearm flex with the bipod attached. It was minimal, not enough to make it touch the barrel I don't think. I added a stiffener and filled the front of the stock to be sure. I plan on trying some federal loaded with accubonds if it doesn't group better after the bed job

Update on my rifle. I rebedded the action front and rear and added a stiffener inside the forearm. Also gave it a good cleaning. This is 7 shots at 200 with the Barnes Vort-x ammo. Right at 4 inches. Not horrible but ok I guess, right at 4 inches. Shot 4 rounds of hornady precision hunter and the group was so bad I wont even post it. Each shot with both groups broke cleanly. Guess I'll try a some Noslers. If it doesn't improve I may be rifle shopping. 15308393406456128462492959955881.jpg

I’d try a different scope first, then get the crown inspected before I started shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not terrible grouping. I'd recommend shooting separate groups though. Shoot a 3-5 shot group at one target. Let rifle cool. Shoot another group at another target and compare results.
Also trying a few other brands of ammo might be good. Gotta remember this is factory ammo in a factory barreled gun.

If your stuck on factory ammo, I’d be trying other brands like cahunter suggests. Factory ammo in factory barrel says a lot about expectations of accuracy. Also I’d shoot 3 shot groups when looking at different brands. I haven’t seen a 3 shot group get smaller by firing 2 more rounds into it from a factory gun. Just saying.

That's not terrible grouping. I'd recommend shooting separate groups though. Shoot a 3-5 shot group at one target. Let rifle cool. Shoot another group at another target and compare results.
Also trying a few other brands of ammo might be good. Gotta remember this is factory ammo in a factory barreled gun.

I let the gun cool equally between shots. I agree it's not terrible at 200. I plan on trying some accubonds maybe. I'd really like to see one MOA if possible

I haven’t seen a 3 shot group get smaller by firing 2 more rounds into it from a factory gun. Just saying.

I haven’t either, but I’ve seen the groups be a much more reliable indicator of what you can expect for accuracy.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back