Caribou Gear

Dismal morning at the range......need help!

I'd swap out the scope and retest. After that you will have eliminated another variable. If nothing improves I'd either handload or move on to another rifle if you are looking for better results.

I wouldn’t get rid of the rifle without changing scopes first. If you’re going to go with 3 shot groups it’s worth your time to verify a “good group” wiith a few more rounds.

I wouldn’t get rid of the rifle without changing scopes first. If you’re going to go with 3 shot groups it’s worth your time to verify a “good group” wiith a few more rounds.

I probably will try another scope which means pulling one off of another rifle. Thanks for all the help and advice guys

3 shot group false alarm huh? Well, it isn't the first. I still think it's ammo. Maybe the gun a little too. I think if it was the scope, it would be spraying worse than that. Wouldn't be a bad idea to move on to another rifle/cartridge. I'd get something with less recoil personally.

I'm with you on the scope. It still does shoot a "group" just not as tight of one as I'd like. I'd like to stick with a magnum, however I may look for one with a brake.

This! Try another scope. Regardless of group size you stated you are noticing the zero moving somewhat. In my limited experience that's more of a scope issue than a rifle issue. While swapping scopes would be a very good time to check the base/ring screws again.

If you decide on a new rifle, I'd personally step down in cartridge size before I'd deal with a brake on a magnum.

I had the same thing happen. when I went to put a different scope on it I discovered the mounting base screws were loose. Even though I wiggled the scope and thought it was tight it was not. Re tightened the base, all is good. I always use lock tight but they came loose anyway, never had that happen before

Well this maybe my last update until I decide about another rifle. Swapped scopes this afternoon with a practically new vx3i and shot 2 groups. 1st was to get the gun on paper with some old reloads (not sure of the accuracy of these to begin with) and the second group with the Federal premium. I'd say its definitely zeroed and fine for deer sized game from 300 on in. I've consistently shot 2 moa groups with various types of 'premium' box ammo. I guess my choices are to try to handload or shop for rifles. Not even sure handloads would cut those groups in half, which is what I want.

Well guys it's been a while but I figured id post and update to this thread. I ended up working up some handloads with a buddy for my rifle to give it one more shot. The first charge weight we loaded yielded .75 moa groups which made me very happy. Velocity isnt super impressive at 2700 fps but with sub moa accuracy I think it will be more than enough with 225 gr. accubonds. The other crazy thing was that only a half grain change in powder charge changed accuracy DRAMATICALLY. Like from .75 to 2 inches. None the less I found a good load for the rifle I love and that has lots of sentimental value. Thanks again guys for all of the advice and help.20180822_175552.jpg

Have you ever considered switching shooters as in have your buddy shoot your gun and you shoot his?

Have you ever considered switching shooters as in have your buddy shoot your gun and you shoot his?

I haven't had anyone shoot mine but I can shoot my other rifles and my buddies rifles just fine. I'm getting great groups repeatedly with these handloads now

Some guns are just picky...a 225gr bullet doing 2700 is no slouch I think I would stick with that for the time being.

I'm with p_ham, sounds like you've got a picky eater on your hands. I have two rifles, both Savages, one in .308 and a 7mm Rem Mag. I've yet to find a production ammo that the .308 won't shoot within 1.5 MOA, and will shoot .5 MOA with my handloads. The 7mmRM on the other hand shoots lights out with my handloads (which took a lot of time and effort to find) and every off the shelf ammo I've tried get's a "meh" at best.

You've definitely found an accuracy node with your handloads. 2700 fps will absolutely get the job done, but is there room under the max load to hit another accuracy node? All other things being equal (accuracy and safety wise), I'll take more speed personally. If you can safely get more, then get more. If not, then you've still got a good shooting rifle that will do the job.

That’ll work, it just took awhile to get there but look at all the fun you had shooting and the experience you gained. Good luck hunting with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back