Randy’s FB Hacked?

I think FB is happy to lose hunting sites. Good riddance FB, at least for any kind of business. A few friends and family is what it is was designed for, and still its best use.

Now FB is very weak in the area of user account security. They do not enforce password security and never forces you to change passwords periodically like they should. You are entirely on your own. In my experience, they are extremely poor at responding to hacking reports even worse than what AOL was. AOL you could at least call someone and talk to a real human. With Facebook, that is near impossible.

You get the level of security you pay for when using "free" services. Like they say, "YOU are the product, NOT the customer".

I went through the steps to “report” several of the bogus posts per Randy’s request. Facebook sure makes it easy to unfollow or block someone, and doesn’t allow to report a hijacked account as one of their options.

All actions taken on the posts (views, likes and comments) will create profiles for like audiences. They could even build in pixels and track your browsing activity to target you in the future.

Whenever you see your friends clicking on the stupid games like "find a word that starts with M" or "take this quiz for your spirit animal" you are just offered your data in volume.
Who would have thought this stuff would be worth money. By the way, your spirit animal is your father's middle initial + mother's maiden name.

They didn't have a meaningful way to report his fake posts, but I went to his page and reported it as a "fake page." Maybe that will help?

I went through the steps to “report” several of the bogus posts per Randy’s request. Facebook sure makes it easy to unfollow or block someone, and doesn’t allow to report a hijacked account as one of their options.
I thought that was stupid too. You'd think the other option would at least let you type something in.

I deleted my account years ago, one of the most freeing thing I have done. Probably would have gone back to a flip phone too if it wasn't for Onx.
Switched to a flip phone four years ago, don't miss the smartphone at all. The Onx GPS chip works great, not as user-friendly as the smartphone version but it does the job well enough.

I have been reporting your posts on that page as spam. I hope that draws Facebook‘s attention.

It is shocking that a day and a half later, someone with a blue checkmark, is still not in control of their business’s Facebook page.

The controversy over social media companies and what exactly they are isn’t new. But what a strange grey area that we utilize them for free, many peoples’ livelihoods depend on them or at the very least are tied to them, and yet they are not obligated to rectify something that could be incredibly detrimental in a reasonable amount of time.

Such a bummer.

The problem with reporting the page as spam is that the account gets flagged and eventually either neutered or outright killed. They don't go after the hackers, just the overall page.

So it's a coordinated attack to kill Randy's page by have everyone report the spam. It's nefarious, and takes advantage of the laziness of the Facebook administration.

The problem with reporting the page as spam is that the account gets flagged and eventually either neutered or outright killed. They don't go after the hackers, just the overall page.

So it's a coordinated attack to kill Randy's page by have everyone report the spam. It's nefarious, and takes advantage of the laziness of the Facebook administration.
Yep, the reply prompt is delete, unlike, unfollow, request review....rinse repeat

This is not ordinary hacking, nor ordinary moderation. No one makes money from hacking Randy's account, they do take him off Facebook and limit the reach of Randy's first amendment rights. Facebook doesn't care, if nothing else they are probably sympathetic to the antis.

This is exactly why the digital realm needs to be treated more as a public utility just like electricity, bridges, sewages systems and interstate highways. I probably disagree with about 90% of what the most famous twitter user used to say, but I got a little perturbed when he was banned from his way of communicating with the American people.

Yes, Randy's facebook is just facebook, ya it's not that big a deal, but it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back