Yeti GOBOX Collection

R Guided & Private Land< Really Hunting ?????

Bowedark

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I beleieve that hunting with Guides is not really Hunting!!!!!!!
Have a wake call and leading you all, day is not hunting!!!!!!!
It's just shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look over their!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Private Land Hunting for the most part is, we only have a few people that hunt here, or we've been raising this one over here, let me shake the FEED pan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scoring Guided & Private Land harvested animals should not be allowed Boone Crockett or Pope & Young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or should they be a club that only excepts Non-Guided Public Land animals ONLY?????????????????

Bowedark

Using a scoped rifle, where the animal doesn't even know you're around when its shot, is that hunting? Bare foot, maybe with a rock, now, there's some real hunting. haha SCI and TGR record where the animal is from, so if its private land with a guide, it says that. If its public land, with no guide, it says that, pretty neat. They record the others too, its all hunting.

I think it is all hunting. Fenced, guided or DIY, as long as it is an ethical shot, and within the bounds of the law, it is all hunting. Each of us may have our own thoughts on what we consider hunting, but what I belive in and what someone else belives in are two different things. Just because you may not think of a guided hunt as hunting, the person that can not or does not have the opportunity to be in the hills to see where the game is, does not make them any less of a hunter than the person who does.

Should they be Guide & Private Land animals in their own class of Boone and Crocket and P&Y. Or a class just for Non-Guided Public Land animals.

IMO, hunters that draw super duper trophy tags and then kill a big azzed critter on it didn't become a super hunter overnight... reguardless of private or public lands... The animals in those trophy areas tend to be a little "slower" typically, due to much lower pressure, and the percentage of trophy animals is probably 10 fold over general units... so IMO its not really hunting either. Kind of like them guys in UT or AZ or MT or.. that draw the super bull tags, they smoke a monster and then are the great white hunter... yet in their garage is a shoe box with two spike racks and a rag horn nailed to the wall... ;)

Is getting access through private land to hunt public land that see's very little pressure "hunting", its basically private land as well?

Hunting is hunting, and if you think seeing your name in lights means you're some type of "Legend" then so be it... A vast majority of the recent entryies, say in the last 15 years had to pull some sort of string, or draw some sort of super tag to get their name in lights. Be it private land access, drawing a good tag or... IMO I think they should do away with the "books" all together...

Published scoring is a big reason there is so much guided/private land hunting. Its become a very effective marketing tool in an in demand commoddity, be it fair chase or captive game.

There are still quite a few hunters who could care less about measuring their d*cks in public. :cool:

I do alot of hunting on private land around here and it is no better than any of the public land really. Sure there may be a little less pressure, but most landowners I know that let people hunt are hunting it hard themselves and allow most people that ask access. That and alot of animals will move onto private chunks to avoid pressure so by then they are spooky as can be and basically in shut down mode activity wise.

Bowedark -
Ever hunted private land, or been on a guided hunt ?

I'll bet not, because your little tirade sounds like the voice of someone who knows darned little about it. Basically .... YOU ARE NUTS ! :D

There are still quite a few hunters who could care less about measuring their d*cks in public. :cool:[/QUOTE]

That quote is priceless. A tape measure doesn't belong in my pack. And the only one doing the measuring better be female, and using her .....oops.

Almost got carried away there......... ;)

Cheers ,
Roadtrip

I think of the record books as recording what a good animal is, where they are, who guided for them, who the outfitter was, its a good thing to have records like that. It could be a public hunt without an official guide and the guy was taken to the good area by friends. The quality of the hunt is different than the quality of the animal.

The books are mostly the quality of the animal, not the hunt, its a fact. The way I see it. Those world record stories B&C and P&Y put in, then you can tell what kind of hunt it was some, but that's just a few of the animals in those books. Record books are fun and useful, there's no doubt about it. Trophy Game Records of the World has more of what you're talking about Bowedark.

success is in the eye of the beholder. I have been on 3 elk hunts and have killed 2. public land, no guide just dumb a$$ luck. now, i havn't hired a guide because of money and my luck. but if i haven't killed one yet, i might save my money for a guided hunt and be just as proud of that animal taken. i have been bear (party away from wife and kidds) hunting here in ny and have yet to see a bear. and we do hunt for them too. next year, i am going to be sitting in a guides treestand, watching his baits to try and shoot MY bear.

i agree about what should be in the books. animals shot inside of a high fence (under any condition) should not be compared to animals shot in the wild (under any conditions. Guide or not, a 400 inch elk should be in the books.

A guided or private land hunt, like a DYI public land huntis what you make of it. Their are pleanty of guides who, for the right money, will walk you up to an almost tame bull and get you as many shots as you need. Their are also pleanty who will work you harder, push you farther, and take you places you have never been, because they know, better than you, that that is what it takes.
Lumping all outfitters/guides togather is like saying all restaurant meals are the same.
Try ordering a U.S.D.A. prime, dry aged steak at McDonalds.

The outfitter that I have used in the past has always given me the opportunity to get away from the crowd and then it was more upon me that it was the guide, was it hunting? You bet your butt it was hunting, hard work and very fullfilling. When an animal is down I don't sit on my ass and wait to be told when to saddle up. Heck, the last Elk I killed I showed the guide the no gut method of packing out, I get alot out of my hunts. My $.02, John

if you want to try real hunting, you can come down to canada and hunt. real tuff all the animals and big ones to.the year before last i was elk hunting and did a cow elk call and thought one stepped out be hind me. to my surprise it was a cougar stalking me.fired a bullet beside his head to scare him off(after i tryed by makeing noise and looking big) but just kept comeing at me slowly. never been in this situation before, didn't want to shoot him ellegally(my lucky i would get fined for protecting myself).so i picked up a huge rock and hit him in the ribs,(he was about 20 feet away) then turned and ran about 40yrd. so started to walk backwards, and turned so i could look were i was going so i wouldn't trip, cause had the safety off. as i turned there was another 1 right behind me. he took off right away(no idea he was there).the other one followed me back down. finally got to my truck. had to change my underwear(lol not quite but close). so i call the fish and wildlife the next day, he said"the only way you can shoot them legally without a tag is if there leaping at you"!!! ya right im dead in that case, could have been dead as it was! next time not even thinking, killing them right away!! we see alot out here, seen 6 wolves last year, got wildhorses out here. and in the winter around feb we have this place were hundreds of elk come and winter. pretty neat to see.

Bowedark,
evidently you think guided hunts are easy. I think you should stop watching "Overfed Redneck hunting" shows on OLN. The pot-bellied Bubbas are giving you a bad impression....Guides are like lawyers, insofar as, what you are really paying them for is their knowledge, of the area and the animals habit patterns. The best guides tell their clients up front that there are no guarantees.

no ,no nothing against guided hunts. just don't think you need them here, unless your going to a differnt province, plus i can not afford them if i plan on hunting all season!! lol. and come down, im not sure if my heads up and feet are down or the other way!! i think were all equal! hey!

Back