PEAX Equipment

Quit messing with my trail cams bear

Doublecluck

I’m pretty new to the trail cam game. Set this one about two weeks ago 3 miles in on a water hole that isn’t on a map or google earth. It’s at 8400 ft in a area that had about 300 head of elk in it this time last season. Had planned to stay the weekend in the area but the smoke moved in terrible by mid day yesterday and we bailed off the mountain. Ha, nothing like breathing ash at 8-9k lol, yuk!.This camera was found at the base of the tree and initially we thought maybe we didn’t pull the strap tight enough. Thought we had 2800 pictures of cattle and trees moving, one spike, but after reviewing today at the computer I found the culprit. Seems MR yogi decided to pull it down from the back side.

Up until this point it was pretty uneventful, just moo cows.
C57BF0A5-91F9-498B-9D01-37039436CCBE.jpeg

Images 439-449 Are blurry with the camera pointing all different directions like it’s being moved.

Image 450 the culprit appears to be standing right on top of it.

45DA05B2-6DCB-4E7A-B712-F3C74D7B2E0F.jpeg

The camera comes to rest on the ground but still pointing across the trail. With a pine branch in the view. The next day a cow walks by which is good for size comparison.

3B68EB18-9470-4071-B566-804757A5F763.jpeg

And on the 30th the one responsible appears to cross the trail again. Looks pretty big with a nice hump. Yikes!
1B7ED6A2-4751-4E51-9985-9646F266D96B.jpeg

Not much elk, heard wolves both nights we were there also. Did see about 5 moose including two bulls. Also if this is your water hole, sorry but not much around the last two weeks.

Last edited:
The elk out here in Roosevelt country can’t not mess with ours all the time they will have their mouth on it their nose it they’ll be licking it it

Yea on two of the other cams I put out the elk were licking them at night. All of the cams over water showed the elk using it at night which I also found interesting.

I’m pretty new to the trail cam game. Set this one about two weeks ago 3 miles in on a water hole that isn’t on a map or google earth. It’s at 8400 ft in a area that had about 300 head of elk in it this time last season. Had planned to stay the weekend in the area but the smoke moved in terrible by mid day yesterday and we bailed off the mountain. Ha, nothing like breathing ash at 8-9k lol, yuk!.This camera was found at the base of the tree and initially we thought maybe we didn’t pull the strap tight enough. Thought we had 2800 pictures of cattle and trees moving, one spike, but after reviewing today at the computer I found the culprit. Seems MR yogi decided to pull it down from the back side.

Up until this point it was pretty uneventful, just moo cows.
View attachment 193571

Images 439-449 Are blurry with the camera pointing all different directions like it’s being moved.

Image 450 the culprit appears to be standing right on top of it.

View attachment 193572

The camera comes to rest on the ground but still pointing across the trail. With a pine branch in the view. The next day a cow walks by which is good for size comparison.

View attachment 193573

And on the 30th the one responsible appears to cross the trail again. Looks pretty big with a nice hump. Yikes!
View attachment 193574

Not much elk, heard wolves both nights we were there also. Did see about 5 moose including two bulls. Also if this is your water hole, sorry but not much around the last two weeks.
not sure I'd like to share a water hole with that guy, nice pics.

Ha, I have the same problem. I have one trail camera on my property that the bears keep going after. I am not sure why they like that one camera but they keep trying to take it off the tree. There are a couple more with a 100 yards and that is the only one they hit.

It if nice when I see a picture of me walking past the camera then 5-10 min later yogi and boo boo are following me down the trail.

I put four cameras out early this summer and left them for three weeks. The first night a bear tore one open and ate a battery. At least I never found the battery so I assume he ate it. The second night a bear hit two of the other cameras. One was left hanging @#)(# eyed but still taking pictures and the other was on the ground face up taking over nine hundred pictures of the trees waving in the breeze before the bear came back and turned it over on its face. The forth camera was left alone and it took a picture of a doe and a cow elk before it just died, never to work again.

Yea on two of the other cams I put out the elk were licking them at night. All of the cams over water showed the elk using it at night which I also found interesting.
Elk are pretty nocturnal. They will feed all night in alfalfa fields.

Take a couple of screw in steps and hang it higher.
This helps but it's not a cure all. I've had the darn bear climb 10-15 feet high and screw mine up. Just pulled 2 cams and had 16k pics in 2 months. Think about 15,900 were of a blowing branch after the bears discovered them again. I may try using latex gloves next time and scent killer. IDK

On my bear baits seems like bears always rip them down even in wood boxes with screws sticking out. I find they need to do it a few times to get out of their system then they leave them alone

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back