Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Question on vld in 7-08

Doublecluck

So I have been in the process of building a load for the kids 7-08 for deer and lope. I am using the new IMR Enduron 4451 powder and 140 gr vld hunting bullets. Here is where I am at. Gun is rem 700 7-08

Powder starting-42.3-max 45.5.

SAAMI coal is 2.80

Bullet touches around 2.865

Started with 43.5 grs of powder and loaded the following

5@ 2.855
5@ 2.835
5@ 2.805
5@ 2.775
Never went to 2.745 because I thought it may be too short.

So the 2.775 set shot the best @ just over 1.5"
From there I worked up the powder charge in .3 gr increments to max with no pressure signs and the 45 gr charge was best @ .9 grouping. All this happened last year and I was pretty happy with it so we loaded up and went with it.

Fast forward to the other day where I was bored and started thinking maybe there was some more potential in this. Last night I went and loaded 5 @ 2.77 and today shot a .75 group. Still no pressure signs. So now for the question.

I am .030 less than recommended coal but .5 grs under IMR recommended max charge.

Can I safely continue in .003 increments shortening the bullet coal @ the 45grs?
At what point does a bullet become too short?
Could loading them short cause more "throat" wear (not sure if that is the right term)?

Last edited:
Are you saying that your coal is still under book recommendations, or are you saying that you are .030 over the recommended length? Either way, it looks to me like it is shooting as well as it needs to for a hunting rifle. I doubt that you will notice much difference in the throat erosion between loads. You should not see much of that with the 7-08 anyway, unless you plan on shooting thousands of rounds.

I'm not trying to be a smart@$$ by any means, shape, or fashion. but I have to just ask 'Why" ? It seems you are waaayyyy over tech-na-thinking this, when a simple load of Varget (42.0-43.0) and a 140 Nosler BT/AB should have you popping a quarter, or a dime, at the other end of a football field.

Just my $0.002. (no, that's not a typo)

Can I safely continue in .003 increments shortening the bullet coal @ the 45grs?
At what point does a bullet become too short?
Could loading them short cause more "throat" wear (not sure if that is the right term)?

1. Yes
2. When the bullet falls into the casing, it's too short
3. No

VLD's were very easy to load for in my 08 and my 7WSM. Start them square and jammed. Pick a powder and go put meat in the freezer.

1. Yes
3. No
I agree with these answers! However, unless you are tinkerer by nature, I'd just call it good and get the kids to practicing. I can't imagine there are too many kids that can out shoot a sub-inch rifle from field positions.

I'm not trying to be a smart@$$ by any means, shape, or fashion. but I have to just ask 'Why" ? It seems you are waaayyyy over tech-na-thinking this, when a simple load of Varget (42.0-43.0) and a 140 Nosler BT/AB should have you popping a quarter, or a dime, at the other end of a football field.

Just my $0.002. (no, that's not a typo)

Varget? That's like seeing a unicorn. I have a pretty good load in accubonds with imr 4350.

Thanks for the help

Arround me you cannot buy varget but for my 7/08 imr 4064 and reloader 15 is just as good.

1. Yes
3. No

Thanks, squashed it down another .060 and the group opened up so it's a done deal. I assumed pressure would increase at some point.

We use the accubonds for elk and anything inside 300, building this load for a little more range, mainly for lope.

We use the accubonds for elk and anything inside 300, building this load for a little more range, mainly for lope.

I don't get where you are trying to go with this. The Accubond will do everything for any reasonable range that you want. I would not even screw with a Berger, personally. You already have the best bullet made for hunting.

Buzz has killed elk with 140 Abs out past 600 yards in the 7-08.

I don't get where you are trying to go with this. The Accubond will do everything for any reasonable range that you want. I would not even screw with a Berger, personally. You already have the best bullet made for hunting.

Buzz has killed elk with 140 Abs out past 600 yards in the 7-08.

Ok, bad choice of words , does the berger not have a higher BC therefore retain more energy and be less effected by wind? I realize this difference may be trivial to some at say 600 yards which is the max distance we would shoot a animal. I don't doubt either of the bullets capabilities, I have taken game with both bullets with no problems. Accubonds are hard to find in 140 gr .284

I have only been reloading for 2 years and this is more of a hobby than anything.

Last edited:
The VLD is pure devastation on antelope and deer. On elk, they work but I've moved on to better things.

At what range/vel? I assume you are talking meat loss. I have heard this a lot just yet to experience, everything we have shot with them was very close or relatively far.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back