Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

question about starting daughter off on rifle?

bjorns4

I posted on the women's forum but it doesn't get the volume. I have a nine year old daughter that I want to get shooting. I am planning on working her into either a lighter or medium caliber to start hunting. My question is what did you guys start off with at that age. She has shot 22's and a 12 ga with bird shot but it was too much for her even with me holding the shotgun. I don't want her to be recoil shy and dissuaded from shooting. I was thinking 243 or 7mm-08. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome. I think that you are on the right path. Either will work, but if she is only hunting deer, I would go with the .243. Also, you might consider the 6.5 Creedmore, as it has very mild recoil. Try to find a rifle that is short enough to fit her well and it will help with the recoil, also.

I know several youth hunters who use a .22-250 with 75 gr bullets for deer. But make sure a .224" bullet is legal where you are at for deer. My son shoots a .30-30 or a .250 Savage. He is 11.

.243 Rem Model 7. Heirloom quality with decent resale value if you wanna trade up eventually.

Hold off on the 12 ga. for a while. the 243 or 7mm-08 would be good . Get some low recoil loads. Make sure she has good hearing protection. Maybe get some .22 exploding targets and let her shoot them. That can really open their eyes and maybe get her more interested in shooting.

Ditch the 243/7mm and get her a 223. Contrary to popular belief, they will kill deer. Ammo is cheap for practice.

I went from .22 to 30-30. But I would recommend .22 (Ruger 1022?) to 5.56mm AR platform. As far as shotguns, I don't know what to say unless you want to climb the ladder.

You could back up, slow down and start with a muzzle loader. I think it helps understand what's going on.

I started my niece off with a 308. I do reload my one bullets, so I produced some low recoil rounds for her. she absolutely loves to shoot. I have found with here that the sound scares her more than the actual recoil though. So, make sure of good hearing protection.

I question the sanity of having a 9 year old girl start with anything besides an air rifle or .22. Create the shooting desire then feed it.

My 9 year old son killed his first deer this year with a 7mm08. We love it. He handles it no problem. I hunt with it too. Great caliber.

Hes just a little bugger and handles it great

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-01-12-16-25-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-01-12-16-25-51.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 131
I picked up a Remington stock and cut 2 inches off of it for my 8 year old. I have a 220 swift barrel and action in it with a 2-7x36 scout rifle scope mounted on it so she can see and get a good cheek weld without feeling to close. I use plugs and muffs together to limit the jump from the sound. I have a 243 that I can put in the stock and put the scope on and if that's not enough I've got a 308 and an '06 that have short stocks available. I decided until she is sure she wants a gun of her own it is cheaper to put a stock on guns I have.

I question the sanity of having a 9 year old girl start with anything besides an air rifle or .22. Create the shooting desire then feed it.

Yes you run the risk of doing damage that could be very difficult to reverse. Other posters have suggested carbine/youth rifles like the Model 7. I can't think of a worse gun for someone like that. Lots of muzzle blast and recoil.

I started my daughter with reloads of 100 grain plinkers and 12 grains of Unique ( in a 30-06). I then worked her up to reduced velocity hunting loads.

Once you make a kid gun shy it's a lot of work to overcome it.

I think adults over think this stuff a little too much. I went straight from 22lr to 30-06 because that's the only guns my Dad had(no recoil pad either). He was nice enough get me some light 125gr bullets. Yeah I was scared of it at first but I wanted to go hunting so that's what I had to do. I'm not trying to say that I'm a bad ass or anything, and I know that everyone is different. Being that the 12ga was too much for her but she still wants to shoot I don't think you'll have a "gun-shy" problem. Just because a kid can legally hunt at 9-10-13 whatever state you're in doesn't mean that they have to start at that age. I'm not saying that the OP is guilty of this behavior, I'm just making commentary on some other parents I have talked to. .243 in a youth gun, or a gun that fits properly is my opinion the best option.

First off, the OP stated that the girl had shot with .22s.

I agree with the fact that a lot of this stuff is overthought. I had two little girls come out to my range to shoot before deer season. The older one (high school freshman) shot a 30-06 that did not really even fit her. She did great with it and shot a deer later on. The other, a seventh grader, shot a .243 and did very well with that, too. These were the rifles that they had available and they made it work. It depends on the kid.

That being said, if you are going out to buy a rifle specifically for the kid, then you can definitely be a bit more picky, as to recoil and fit.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back