Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

7mm-08 Reduced Loads

Brian in Montana

Youth hunt is coming up. I have 2 that are going to participate this year. My daughter is 14 and has hunted a little with a .243, but I let her shoot the 7mm-08 last week. The ammo I had was a 139gn Hornady Interbond on top of 46.4gn of Ramshot Big Game. It's very accurate and pushing 2950fps. But it does kick a bit and she was not a fan.

So I decided to try something reduced enough she won't mind shooting. I have some Varget on hand which has always seemed very stable across bullet weights and charge loads, also had an unopened box of 139gn Hornady BTSPs. I pulled out the Hornady manual and just started at the bottom recommended charge weight and started shooting some 3-shot strings. Everything I shot was easily Minute of Deer, but this one was the stand out.

IMG20220917085452.jpg

34.1gn of Varget. Seems weird to shoot that low of a charge, but looks good. Really no group was bad. And recoil was very mild. Now to confirm the group, let daughter send a few and see if we have a winner.

I was gonna reccomend IMR 4895.
It's what i use with 120gr Ballistic Tips in 7X57 Mauser for my daughter.

But it appears you obtained some unobtainium. ;)

So,I read an article in Handloader Magazine in which the author said that IMR-4895 can be used for the reduced recoil loads listed for H-4895. I have contacted Hodgdon to confirm, but the auhtor said the information was from Hodgdon.

Handloader Feb/Mar 2017 Volume: 52​

Reduced Rifle Loads​

Powder Options That Are Often Overlooked

feature By: John Barsness | February, 17

So,I read an article in Handloader Magazine in which the author said that IMR-4895 can be used for the reduced recoil loads listed for H-4895. I have contacted Hodgdon to confirm, but the author said the information was from Hodgdon.

Handloader Feb/Mar 2017 Volume: 52​

Reduced Rifle Loads​

Powder Options That Are Often Overlooked

feature By: John Barsness | February, 17

Well, called up Hodgdon. Let me say first, they are awesome!

1) The article in Handloader Magazine that stated IMR-4895 can also be used at the 60% load of H-4895 is false. They need to do a redaction.
2) Found what I needed in A-5744 and that powder is in stock.
3) The 41 grain Varget load I was asking about can be used with any 130 grain SP.
4) All load data provided is for copper jacketed lead bullets.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back