Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

7mm-08 Reduced Loads

Brian in Montana

Youth hunt is coming up. I have 2 that are going to participate this year. My daughter is 14 and has hunted a little with a .243, but I let her shoot the 7mm-08 last week. The ammo I had was a 139gn Hornady Interbond on top of 46.4gn of Ramshot Big Game. It's very accurate and pushing 2950fps. But it does kick a bit and she was not a fan.

So I decided to try something reduced enough she won't mind shooting. I have some Varget on hand which has always seemed very stable across bullet weights and charge loads, also had an unopened box of 139gn Hornady BTSPs. I pulled out the Hornady manual and just started at the bottom recommended charge weight and started shooting some 3-shot strings. Everything I shot was easily Minute of Deer, but this one was the stand out.

IMG20220917085452.jpg

34.1gn of Varget. Seems weird to shoot that low of a charge, but looks good. Really no group was bad. And recoil was very mild. Now to confirm the group, let daughter send a few and see if we have a winner.

I was gonna reccomend IMR 4895.
It's what i use with 120gr Ballistic Tips in 7X57 Mauser for my daughter.

But it appears you obtained some unobtainium. ;)

So,I read an article in Handloader Magazine in which the author said that IMR-4895 can be used for the reduced recoil loads listed for H-4895. I have contacted Hodgdon to confirm, but the auhtor said the information was from Hodgdon.

Handloader Feb/Mar 2017 Volume: 52​

Reduced Rifle Loads​

Powder Options That Are Often Overlooked

feature By: John Barsness | February, 17

So,I read an article in Handloader Magazine in which the author said that IMR-4895 can be used for the reduced recoil loads listed for H-4895. I have contacted Hodgdon to confirm, but the author said the information was from Hodgdon.

Handloader Feb/Mar 2017 Volume: 52​

Reduced Rifle Loads​

Powder Options That Are Often Overlooked

feature By: John Barsness | February, 17

Well, called up Hodgdon. Let me say first, they are awesome!

1) The article in Handloader Magazine that stated IMR-4895 can also be used at the 60% load of H-4895 is false. They need to do a redaction.
2) Found what I needed in A-5744 and that powder is in stock.
3) The 41 grain Varget load I was asking about can be used with any 130 grain SP.
4) All load data provided is for copper jacketed lead bullets.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back