Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Question about road conditions in the Flattops

gwhunter

So I got a super cheap flight into denver for a scouting trip of an OTC Archery Zone so I'm heading that way this weekend for 4 days. I'm doing some scouting of some trailheads to park at and hike in for a couple of overnight campouts/scouting missions and had a question about some of the road conditions for anyone local to Dotsero/Gypsum/Meeker. I'm renting a Jeep Wrangler (or similar) at the airport and I'm worried the "or similar" is gonna end up being a Ford Edge or some other lowrider and I'm going to need to make alternative plans on the spot if I'm not aware of the road conditions. Anyone able to help me out?

As long as it doesn’t rain real hard you’ll be fine. If it rains no rental car tires are going to make it through that grease. The majority of roads are bumpy and slow but not horrible. Like I said though, watch the weather because most rental car companies have policies you can’t take cars off of maintained roads. And trying to explain why your stuck on the flat tops might not go over well.

Agreed I was up there 3 weeks ago and I was using alot of low range to avoid sliding into ditches on downhill and just generally a slow go. Overall they seem to do a decent job maintaining up in the area

All good advice. I was up there last November. Pretty hot dry fall. It’s all about moisture for the most part. Main roads were generally good. Bunch of the 2 tracks were really rough and greasy so much so they are utv/atv access. The travel management plan wasn’t being followed by a bunch of turds so lots of hikes in just to run into jeeps and vehicles on roads that should have been closed. Saw some people hunting from their sube’s or “man”cars. I would always rather have a pickup when venturing to the unknown but I suspect that may be cost prohibitive for you or not an option. Good luck

Did some scouting around Greeley back in 2000 or so with a rental. Got in there ok and then an unexpected snow blew in. Wasn't able to get back to pavement. Climbed up the nearby peak and got enough signal to call a friend who battled in with his F250 to get me.

Off road tow cost $500 or so. Driver hooked the rental up wrong and torqued the axle dragging it through the mud to the road. Drove all the way to DIA with that rental shaking like a dog sh!ttin' persimmon seeds. Turned it in with a smile and wave. Never heard a peep.

In retrospect, I'm lucky to have made it out at all. Be safe.

I am flying into Denver Friday and heading to WY for a scouting trip in the Snowies for a deer tag. I rented a Tacoma through Turo. Might be worth looking at Turo to see what is available for your trip.

Get the extra insurance if you are taking "off road" Beware- Some companies don't allow you to go off road. The red truck was a rental of a guy in our hunting party. The silver truck was also with us. They met on a blind corner coming in and out of camp. We called the rental company and said the rental truck was leaking fluid and wouldn't start. ;-) They sent a flatbed tow truck to drop off a new truck pick up the old one. $0.00 out of pocket on a totaled truck. The tow truck driver said it happens all the time. Yes everyone was OK.

Attachments

• Rental truck.jpg
    Rental truck.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Thanks everyone for the information! My Chase credit card also includes rental car insurance so I'm thinking that 'send it' is the correct answer!!! (I'll make sure to pack some JB weld)

For a specific road inquiry, has anyone driven Coffee Pot PAST Deep Lake this year after all the rain?

Special shout out to @BoulderBulls for those links you sent!

All good advice. I was up there last November. Pretty hot dry fall. It’s all about moisture for the most part. Main roads were generally good. Bunch of the 2 tracks were really rough and greasy so much so they are utv/atv access. The travel management plan wasn’t being followed by a bunch of turds so lots of hikes in just to run into jeeps and vehicles on roads that should have been closed. Saw some people hunting from their sube’s or “man”cars. I would always rather have a pickup when venturing to the unknown but I suspect that may be cost prohibitive for you or not an option. Good luck
I'll be driving my 1/2 ton out there in September to do the actual hunt. This is the scouting trip with the airline rental that I don't want to strand.

FS 610 along Derby Creek is a slow haul, but doable with a 2WD truck without extras when dry.

I am known to be tough on rentals.....Really tough. I also found out from the nice guys here that credit cards cover a lot of rental damages or deductible. The Credit card covered a 500.00 worth of damages I did to one SUV that the rental company noticed.... This pic was not that SUV, but just getting a car where I did not expect to have to go on a trip. rocks stacked nice to make for a softer landing on the other side

1661389694077.png

I am known to be tough on rentals.....Really tough. I also found out from the nice guys here that credit cards cover a lot of rental damages or deductible. The Credit card covered a 500.00 worth of damages I did to one SUV that the rental company noticed.... This pic was not that SUV, but just getting a car where I did not expect to have to go on a trip. rocks stacked nice to make for a softer landing on the other side

View attachment 235681
Heck yeah!!! I guess it won't matter what car I get with this example setting the precedent 😃. It was an extra $13 to upgrade from the economy sedan to the SUV. Now I'm thinking I should have gone with the Ford fusion!!! 🤣

Heck yeah!!! I guess it won't matter what car I get with this example setting the precedent 😃. It was an extra $13 to upgrade from the economy sedan to the SUV. Now I'm thinking I should have gone with the Ford fusion!!! 🤣
Yeah, get the SUV. The picture above was an honest unpredicted event where I was not expecting to need a truck. But in my younger years when I did my first western hunts in the 90's I was short on cash and flew to AZ for the over the counter mule deer archery hunts and man I remember a mazda I had that i had to stomp the floor board back down because you felt them heave up under your feet from rocks. I had to take a 2X4 and use it as a drift punch to pound the lower radiator support back down to be able to get the coolant fan off the exhaust manifold. I had some pretty bad butt sweat moments at the rental return place...

Yeah, get the SUV. The picture above was an honest unpredicted event where I was not expecting to need a truck. But in my younger years when I did my first western hunts in the 90's I was short on cash and flew to AZ for the over the counter mule deer archery hunts and man I remember a mazda I had that i had to stomp the floor board back down because you felt them heave up under your feet from rocks. I had to take a 2X4 and use it as a drift punch to pound the lower radiator support back down to be able to get the coolant fan off the exhaust manifold. I had some pretty bad butt sweat moments at the rental return place...
Wowza... @Oak was right!

Back