Yeti GOBOX Collection

Question about road conditions in the Flattops

So quick update on the road & rental car process.

I ended up getting the "or similar" instead of the Wrangler I reserved. It just so happened that I found out I got the State Vehicle of Colorado, a white 4-Runner ;). It had 30,000 miles on it and the factory cheapo bridgstones had all 30k on them. They were bald, out of alignment, and worn unevenly. It didn't really bother me driving down Coffee Pot as I remember thinking "This GRAVEL road is a lot better than a lot of the paved roads in Michigan". But when I got to the last 6 mile stretch beyond Deep Lake where they stop grading the road my nerves got wound a little tight with those badly worn, original tires. It wasn't so much that I even needed four-wheel drive or a high clearance vehicle. Rather, it was the ROCKS that had me clenched up. I was super worried about blowing out a tire with no cell service and hoping I wouldn't have to InReach my wife to try to convey the message to the rental company that I needed a new tire.
But overall, the trip went well and the roads were a breeze. Thanks all for the pointers and help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_160428997_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220829_160428997_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220827_093946348_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220827_093946348_HDR.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
I know just where you are talking about. Great country in there. Did you drop all the way down to the wilderness boundary?
I did. I ended up going about 6 miles in along one of the trails. It's some beautiful county. It's also some HUGE country. For the week before archery opener, I only ran into 1 other person scouting for 1st rifle and 1 outfitter. Both great people. It looks like it's going to be a great spot for OTC work!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back