Puffy? Synthetic, warm, not crazy expensive?

I went over and handled an EB Downlight a bit ago. A real nice jacket for the money, but I have to say I doubt it has the loft that I think you’re looking for as a belay style jacket. Honestly the Grumman is borderline to me as well for just plain sitting for hours in October and later. They spec close to some others in fill weight/power, but I think those narrow baffles limit loft a fair bit. There is some research to that effect at BPL if I recall. Have not owned either, only handled both and owned a bunch of others so take for what it's worth.
Similarly I went over and checked out Arcteryxand Patagonia in person.

Definitely liked the thorium, seemed like it would be like a good option. Ran a little small, I'd size up.
Nuclei SV... really liked it and what I'm leaning towards.

Tried on the Alpha... holy smokes... not sure I could get it in my pack but man if I was going to sit on a hill looking at sheep in November... like wearing a 0degree bag.

DAS... warm but a bizarre cut IMHO. Didn't like the face fabric.
Macro... no way it's warm enough

Random question.

When do dealers get in more product? As in, there are dozens of coats that REI should have but they don't, I assume it's because they just don't have any in stock. I have a rather large gift card that is burning a whole in my pocket, I'm currently checking almost everyday, but there's only ever less, not more to choose from. Also REI sucks and doesn't really carry anything of any real value anymore...

Similarly I went over and checked out Arcteryxand Patagonia in person.

Definitely liked the thorium, seemed like it would be like a good option. Ran a little small, I'd size up.
Nuclei SV... really liked it and what I'm leaning towards.

Tried on the Alpha... holy smokes... not sure I could get it in my pack but man if I was going to sit on a hill looking at sheep in November... like wearing a 0degree bag.

DAS... warm but a bizarre cut IMHO. Didn't like the face fabric.
Macro... no way it's warm enough
I'd put all of the jackets on neffa's list as a distinct notch colder than the ones you are looking at...DAS do have a ridiculous fit for some reason, the BD pelay parka is better...I usually use a Patagonia Fitzroy for that temp range, maybe a little warmer than the snythetic options? I have one of those and a grade 7, you're for sure not getting cold in the grade 7 either, about on par with the alpha but minus the Goretex.

Random question.

When do dealers get in more product? As in, there are dozens of coats that REI should have but they don't, I assume it's because they just don't have any in stock. I have a rather large gift card that is burning a whole in my pocket, I'm currently checking almost everyday, but there's only ever less, not more to choose from. Also REI sucks and doesn't really carry anything of any real value anymore...
Nothing is in stock anywhere...

I'm good for now so I'm waiting till April-May I think.

Nothing is in stock anywhere...

I'm good for now so I'm waiting till April-May I think.
Just after I asked that question I hoped onto that boogyman Facebook and sent a message to Feathered Friends, they'll have their Helios in-stock next week per their response. I wish REI had answers like that (or that quality of apparel).

Random question.

My (educated) guess is that you're out of luck for the season. Fall/Winter apparel arrives in June/July to the Distribution centers, arrives in store Aug/September. January, the industry starts shipping spring/summer goods.

So I created a little spreadsheet earlier this year to help me decide. Unfortunately I'm still bound by indecision. But I think I'm leaning toward feathered friends Eos.
View attachment 204899
On the cheaper side, that Montbell Upland is I think a really good deal and actually comes in nice earth tones.
I finally made a decision. I went with Feathered Friends, but the Helios instead of the Eos. Holy gdamn hell is this thing hot! I'm bordering on heat stroke as I peck this out... because, well, my inner 12 yr old is so excited about it I haven't taken it off since I got it... I even have the hood on.

FWIW, I made the decision to go with the Eddie Bauer jacket. It's cheaper and bad things happen to my stuff around here. It's not a warm as I might like, but it is definitely easily packable, still quite warm, and it allows a certain amount of flexibility. I have a couple of REI lighter weight puffies that can be worn either under or over the EB jacket. I did this while sitting on a hillside waiting for deer in single digit weather and was quite toasty. So, I'll go multi-jacketed if need be, but I'll also be able to leave one or the other at home as conditions warrant.

Then only real downside to this set-up is that it is down, not a fancy synthetic that would be more water resilient and resistant. One company that I neglected to check out is Simms. They have some pretty spiffy stuff and might have a really nice puffy (though probably not in my prefered price category).

This was a super helpful thread for me, and I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll be warm for some years to come and that will be especially important if we move Up North in the next year.

I think @wllm1313 said he was looking for something similar too. What did you decide, Will?

FWIW, I made the decision to go with the Eddie Bauer jacket. It's cheaper and bad things happen to my stuff around here. It's not a warm as I might like, but it is definitely easily packable, still quite warm, and it allows a certain amount of flexibility. I have a couple of REI lighter weight puffies that can be worn either under or over the EB jacket. I did this while sitting on a hillside waiting for deer in single digit weather and was quite toasty. So, I'll go multi-jacketed if need be, but I'll also be able to leave one or the other at home as conditions warrant.

Then only real downside to this set-up is that it is down, not a fancy synthetic that would be more water resilient and resistant. One company that I neglected to check out is Simms. They have some pretty spiffy stuff and might have a really nice puffy (though probably not in my prefered price category).

This was a super helpful thread for me, and I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll be warm for some years to come and that will be especially important if we move Up North in the next year.

I think @wllm1313 said he was looking for something similar too. What did you decide, Will?
Every place I've checked online + in person is sold out of essentially their entire inventory... so I'm going to wait till June or whenever the 2022 winter collections come out and buy then.

I finally made a decision. I went with Feathered Friends, but the Helios instead of the Eos. Holy gdamn hell is this thing hot! I'm bordering on heat stroke as I peck this out... because, well, my inner 12 yr old is so excited about it I haven't taken it off since I got it... I even have the hood on.
I bet it'll last you 15-20 years. Sweet jacket.

I discovered that down sweater does not fit under the SKE jacket. LOL It does under rainswede stuff.
Did find that doubling my base layer helped when it was 5 deg. And a use for Scentlock baselayer again. It was in bottom of bin. Thick stuff & warm. Very warm over 200 merino.

My big down parka does well under my waterfowl parka,old school & bulky. Bulletproof warm. Noisey,lol.

I bet it'll last you 15-20 years. Sweet jacket.
When my wife came home-and I was still wearing the coat, she said I looked like the marshmallow man from the GhostBusters, except it also looked like I had just ran a race with my sweaty red face.

It's so puffy, soooo puffy, and hot, and weighs nothing!

You will be very happy with it. My wife bought me one for Christmas, for my hunting pack. I have wore it skiing twice to test it out and it has performed great.

When my wife came home-and I was still wearing the coat, she said I looked like the marshmallow man from the GhostBusters, except it also looked like I had just ran a race with my sweaty red face.

It's so puffy, soooo puffy, and hot, and weighs nothing!
Heh. I did the same thing yesterday. I had ordered one of the Eddie Bauer CirrusLite puffy jackets. After getting stuck on a mail truck buried in the snow in Leavenworth for a week it finally made it to my doorstep. Wife came home and I was at my desk, hood up and all zipped in and cozy (sweaty).

Heh. I did the same thing yesterday. I had ordered one of the Eddie Bauer CirrusLite puffy jackets. After getting stuck on a mail truck buried in the snow in Leavenworth for a week it finally made it to my doorstep. Wife came home and I was at my desk, hood up and all zipped in and cozy (sweaty).
I was glad I decided to walk out our driveway yesterday. Last week UPS had driven down the driveway with chains, apparently this week this driver just wrapped the box in a plastic bag and left it in the snow bank. That's a ton of money just sitting there in the snow for any yahoo to swipe.

I'm not into the puffy down stuff because I sweat in it too much for my style of hunting (on the move). Stopped at Grand Forks Scheels on the way to Montana for ammo (which they had none) and bought a 4-in-1 waterfowl coat made by GameHide. My $300+ Cabelas coat of similar design was worn to rags. This one was only $159 so figured I didn't have much to lose. So far I'm very impressed. I've owned several makes of this style and every one is different. I hated the bomber style inside jacket of Cabelas coat. It kept climbing up my back. This one has drawstring bottom instead of pleats which works much better. This jacket also has handwarmer pockets behind the cargo pockets that are actually big enough for a grown man to get his hands into and out of ... even with gloves on. And the pockets even keep my hands warm because they're lined front AND back. Best part is I have three inside liner jackets from past coats that will zip inside. Right now I prefer the jacket from a Remington brand 4-in-1 I bought two years ago new at Goodwill store. It is well insulated and microfleece one one side. I turned the microfleece inside to keep sweat away and it zips inside this coat. The arms come off the Remington liner jacket to help with layering. I unzipped the arms, swapped sides, and zipped them back on so the sleek camo side is inside to make it easier to pull my arms through. For real cold situations I can remove the liner jacket and zip in a down vest my mom bought me years ago. Seems like all the outdoor clothing manufacturers in China get their zippers from the same outfit. Very handy.

So I created a little spreadsheet earlier this year to help me decide. Unfortunately I'm still bound by indecision. But I think I'm leaning toward feathered friends Eos.
View attachment 204899
On the cheaper side, that Montbell Upland is I think a really good deal and actually comes in nice earth tones.
Old thread, but you should add the first lite chamberlin to your spreadsheet. I know it's 800 fill power, but it weighs 25oz. I can vouch for it as really freaking warm tho. Big pockets and sweet hood.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back