Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Pronghorn Decoys

Kiwi

A couple of years ago I used a decoy to archery hunt pronghorn. The decoy worked well and I got in bow range. Unfortunately I messed up a number of shots but I found the decoy a great way to hunt. I just need more practice!

So am looking to buy a decoy and get it shipped to New Zealand and practice a lot with it.

I used the decoy that had stakes at either end and was placed into the ground. I could get one of these but also was looking at the one that sits right on your bow.

What type and make of decoy do you use and recommend?

I have a montana 2 stake. It will absolutley piss off some bucks and can be fun when archery hunting. Theres no need to "practice" with it... if i had a mount on bow which i have seen but never tried would deffinately want to practice with it mounted.

I have a montana 2 stake. It will absolutley piss off some bucks and can be fun when archery hunting. Theres no need to "practice" with it... if i had a mount on bow which i have seen but never tried would deffinately want to practice with it mounted.
I use a Mel Dutton but they are hard to find now a days. I absolutely would practice with it or at least practice drawing while rising up from a kneeling position to shoot over the decoy. Love decoying during the heat of the rut.

I use a Mel Dutton but they are hard to find now a days. I absolutely would practice with it or at least practice drawing while rising up from a kneeling position to shoot over the decoy. Love decoying during the heat of the rut.
I dont do the hide behind, i usually set it up and sit off to side in a hide of some sort. When bucks come in there not looking at me, focused on that decoy. I will add i am a good sized guy so i would need a elk sized lope decoy to hide behind it...lol

Thanks for the replies!

I had a look at the Montana decoys and I think I used the Eichler Antelope decoy previously.

One thing I found with the set up was getting the stakes into the hard ground was difficult. But I see they sell a ‘quickstand’ which may help, anyone use these?

Thanks for the replies!

I had a look at the Montana decoys and I think I used the Eichler Antelope decoy previously.

One thing I found with the set up was getting the stakes into the hard ground was difficult. But I see they sell a ‘quickstand’ which may help, anyone use these?
I haven't used a quickstand but can't imagine it would be much good since it seems like the wind is always blowing on the prairie. I suppose it would work great on a rare calm day.

I have a Montana and they can and do work. Biggest issues I've had is getting the stakes in the ground so they hold up to wind. One day I successfully got the decoy up without being seen, moved off to a low spot and the lopes where coming, then all of a sudden they froze and turned around. Decoy stake gave out and it was flopping around!

I've also had decent luck holding it infront of me stalking, or even better use a second person

I have a Montana and they can and do work. Biggest issues I've had is getting the stakes in the ground so they hold up to wind. One day I successfully got the decoy up without being seen, moved off to a low spot and the lopes where coming, then all of a sudden they froze and turned around. Decoy stake gave out and it was flopping around!

I've also had decent luck holding it infront of me stalking, or even better use a second person
I’ve had similar problems. I haven’t tried setting up unseen and waiting for them to come in hidden to the side. Sounds like a good plan.

Like Bob said the Montana ones can be a pain or near impossible to stake into hard pan, throw in the wind and you're pissin in the wind.

Going from a stalk to a shot is difficult with the Montana decoy because you have to get the stake into the ground while the antelope are close or coming at a run. Luckily they seem pretty stupid/naïve compared to other big game. The decoy even worked riding a bike to close lots of distance quickly.

I’ve had good luck with the Montana decoy, I’ve also had luck using a buddy’s decoy he made out of 1/4” plywood and painted to look like an antelope, looks terrible but he’s killed multiple behind it and I’ve gotten super close using it!

I’ve had good luck with the Montana decoy, I’ve also had luck using a buddy’s decoy he made out of 1/4” plywood and painted to look like an antelope, looks terrible but he’s killed multiple behind it and I’ve gotten super close using it!
It’s that to help manage the wind I’m assuming?

It’s that to help manage the wind I’m assuming?
Yeah, that’s the only gripe I have with the Montana decoys…seems like it’s always windy in antelope country and the ground is too hard to shove the stakes in enough to keep it from flopping around and falling over. With the plywood decoy it’s better to have someone holding it but it at least won’t flop around in the wind

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back