Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pronghorn Bipod

accubond

I am looking for feedback on the most ideal bipod for central WY antelope. I looked at the Magpul 6.3"-10.3" and the Harris Model 25S. Both were nice but I liked the compact size of the Magpul but it had me wondering if 10.3" is tall enough for practical hunting purposes? Any feedback would be great as I have never ran a bipod on any of my rigs.

It depends a bit. If you have the opportunity to shoot prone it is a good size. If you'll be sitting I like the ones that go to like 27"ish, but those get cumbersome on the rifle. For pronghorn, I have settled on using a 6-9" bipod and then if I'm sitting I'll shoot off the yoke on my Mystery Ranch pack (thanks for the tip, Randy!). I even taped a little piece of foam to it to make it a little softer. Whichever you get, the pivoting head versions are really helpful.

I haven’t used a Magpul but the Harris is solid. I picked up a Hatch last season for hunting from the ground. I went that route because all I need is a two inch rail mounted on my rifles and it will swap between them and I’m not stuck trying to shoot free handed with a bipod stuck on the rifle. There’s a ton of adjustability with it too

I have used a harris 13.5" - 27" for quite a few years now for antelope hunting. Works great. Short enough to shoot prone and long enough to shoot sitting.
The particular Harris I looked at was 12.5" to 26" I believe. I thought the 12.5" would possibly be too high to shoot prone but it sounds like it could work? If not I guess I could always eat until it did:unsure:.

I'd get the Harris S-25C. As already noted, you want something tall enough to shoot over sage, with a swivel for uneven terrain. My brother learned the hard way the importance of having a taller bipod, and I learned the hard way the importance of having a swivel. The S-25C can still be made short enough to shoot prone, particularly if you lay your pack flat and lay the gun across your pack with the tripod legs resting on the ground, and tall enough to shoot over sage. I've done both with my S-25C. Just be sure you practice under both conditions.

I'd get the Harris S-25C. As already noted, you want something tall enough to shoot over sage, with a swivel for uneven terrain. My brother learned the hard way the importance of having a taller bipod, and I learned the hard way the importance of having a swivel. The S-25C can still be made short enough to shoot prone, particularly if you lay your pack flat and lay the gun across your pack with the tripod legs resting on the ground, and tall enough to shoot over sage. I've done both with my S-25C. Just be sure you practice under both conditions.
This exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!

I carry both when hunting, attatch whichever suits the terrain I'm in, put the other one I my pack in case it's needed. That being said, I've always only used the shorter bipod.

I've had a Harris 9-13 inch bipod on my rifle for probably 25 years or so and I can honestly say I've used it to shoot at game only a handful of times.
Usually it's because the brush is too tall and I end up using my pack as a rest.

don't screw around with this one, get the Harris Bipod 100%. I leave mine on my gun for Sheep in the mountains as well, screw the weight, its worth its weight in gold for a much steadier shot. Next time you have a friend shooting off a pack, take a look at how much their barrel moves, its un-real!!!! night and day difference.

Harris is heavier and longer but worth every ounce.

I
I have used a harris 13.5" - 27" for quite a few years now for antelope hunting. Works great. Short enough to shoot prone and long enough to shoot sitting.

This is what I have used for years as well.
Absolutely....make sure you get the pivot model for slopes. Eastern Wy and Montana definitely. As stated, heavy is good.

Back