1st Antelope Hunt - Check me

I see those SnS folks around the Ramkota during season and know a few people that have done the SnS pronghorn hunt from Casper. You will not need much (if any) gear other than your rifle, ammo, bipod, range finder, and binoculars. Camo clothing is not needed, but a pair of leather gloves and some tweezers might come in handy. Don't be surprised if your "guide" speaks with an Alabama accent and has a regular job in Alabama as a firefighter, but most of them seem like nice guys. I hear that one of the Alabama guys has moved to Casper a few years ago and now runs the pronghorn hunts. After a bit of driving, shooting, and photos you will be heading to Pat's for meat processing.

The guides will use the SCI method for estimating the hunters' trophies, so don't be too surprised if you put a tape on the horns later and are a bit disappointed by the B&C score. Ramkota has a nice included breakfast, and an OK restaurant for dinner.

Last edited:
I am heading out there about the same time, what area is your tag in? Here are a few things in addition to your list:
Leather gloves to prevent cactus from sticking in you when crawling?
Know where your rifle shoots (hold over) at various ranges out to your max distance.
Make sure you have one article of hunter orange (vest or hat)
Tag and Hunter Safety certificate
Phone Skope adapter for your spotting scope (allows you to attach your cell phone)

My 15 year old daughter shot a nice antelope buck 45 minutes after daylight on our first morning of DIY public land hunting last fall with a cheap Rem 700 .270 win that I bought when I was 16 and handed down to her, a Luepold VX2 3-9x40 scope, and no-name clothing and boots. She shot it at around 100yd, without a bipod, from kneeling position. Practice and shooting ability are far more important than gear, and if you have an outfitter then you really won’t even be responsible for finding the animals.

Just in case you missed it in earlier replies.....range finder. Wide open Wyoming spaces mess with your head unless you are used to it. And they mess with your head even if you are used to it. Trust your guide, but also verify your range yourself is not a bad plan.

Seriously, like your guess at a range and the effective actual range will be wildly variable if you are really from the lands of unending forests.
I agree 10000% the first time you hunt these little dudes, you'll likely guess they are farther away than they really are and shoot right over their back! :rolleyes:

I did my first hunt last year - which was an antelope hunt in Wellington, CO. Definitely more driving and spotting than I expected, but lots of fun nonetheless. And I agree with what others said - look over lots of bucks - I shot mine on the last day after passing on a bunch and was glad I did.

Just in case you missed it in earlier replies.....range finder. Wide open Wyoming spaces mess with your head unless you are used to it. And they mess with your head even if you are used to it. Trust your guide, but also verify your range yourself is not a bad plan.

Seriously, like your guess at a range and the effective actual range will be wildly variable if you are really from the lands of unending forests.
@badkarma6 Glad you went and had success. I hope you were able to soak in all that Wyoming has to offer. SOOOOO different from VA.

420 yards is a long poke. Glad it worked out for you.

Did you get yourself a good rangefinder?? :D

Gloves won't help you when laying pro e and you have to slide a bit. Cactus in your hip and thigh are not fun, don't expect sympathy from your guide, or wife, I speak from experience
Been there done that. Cacti=finding out who your friends are

I got my goat. 2 shots at 420 yards. My buddy I was hunting with got his at 75 yards. Good animal. Took a day and half of looking at antelopes before deciding to take the one i shot. Was a good time. The SNS Outfitters operation was good. Guide was very good.

Congrats! And how did the beer taste?

A bipos is a great addition for prone shooting, but chances are you'll be shooting from a sitting or kneeling position. Either be sure you take a tall bipod or shooting sticks to steady your rifle.
I would also make it a habit of siting in my rifle at 3" high at 100 yards rather than 2". Can't do any harm and it increases you point blank range by almost 100 yards.

I’d also add durable gloves for the crawl and a hunters tarp for shade and keeping the meat off the ground. I think everyone should have a hunters tarp. So many things it can be used for.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back