Processing in CO

bushman13

Something I have been wondering about since moving out here. What is the standard for game processing in Colorado? Do you bring in a whole animal, gutted or quartered?

I've never had the opportunity to get an animal out whole... I typically only bring in meat to have it ground as I don't want to spend money paying someone to cut steaks. Seems like most of the animals I see hanging at the processor came in quartered in game bags (elk).

Also I've struggled to find a decent processor on the front range, the meat cleaver is ok... and convenient. I prefer to take my animals to take animals to Hotchkiss Meats, but that's obviously a long ways away. I haven't found a processor in the entire state that does even halfway decent brats/kielbasa... definitely miss living in Montana.

I went to Steve's Meat Market in Old Town Arvada and I felt like the awkward guy for having a quartered out and skinned animal. Seems like everybody else is just tossing gutted deer in the truck and driving straight over to the processor. But this might be due to it's popularity for east of 25 folks and nearness to front range foothills.

Steve's has good brats from my experience so far, but I haven't had a lot of meat processed so my experience with various meat processors is limited. They are quite the operation though, very very busy and lot's of animals coming in during drop off hours during hunting season. So much so it stressed me out. But sometimes gettin back into town late and having to go straight back to work just means you need a processor to do your dirty work from time to time.

I went to Steve's Meat Market in Old Town Arvada and I felt like the awkward guy for having a quartered out and skinned animal.

Their policies just aren't compatible for the way I hunt elk. First hand account of their product from friends has been good to fair.

For the record I called Hotchkiss one time as I was packing out and the owner let me drop off an animal at 10pm. Their customer service is just phenomenal.

Their policies just aren't compatible for the way I hunt elk. First hand account of their product from friends has been good to fair.

For the record I called Hotchkiss one time as I was packing out and the owner let me drop off an animal at 10pm. Their customer service is just phenomenal.

Yeah, I need to find a processor more like that. Steve's is very strict on their rules and with drop off and late charges if you don't pick up. But from what I witnessed when I went there it's understandable with the kind of volumes they are dealing with. I won't be going back most likely, not cause it was bad, but it was too stressful with simply witnessing the chaos and dealing with strict drop off and pick up times that don't jive well with anyone with a normal work week.

I brought a deer and a quartered elk to a processor in Medicine Bow back in 2014 and had them work it up while I hunted pronghorn. The lady at the counter looked at me like I was an idiot when I told her the elk was in quarters, "Why would you do that?!" I figured that's how they would have received most of them, apparently not. They did a good job, but man that was expensive.

Nowadays I just freeze my stuff with some dry ice and do all my processing at home.

I brought a deer and a quartered elk to a processor in Medicine Bow back in 2014 and had them work it up while I hunted pronghorn. The lady at the counter looked at me like I was an idiot when I told her the elk was in quarters, "Why would you do that?!" I figured that's how they would have received most of them, apparently not. They did a good job, but man that was expensive.

Nowadays I just freeze my stuff with some dry ice and do all my processing at home.

That's something I've been noticing more and more. Bringing quartered animals to the meat processor makes you a minority for two reasons I presume 1) most people who quarter in the field process themselves, and 2) it's a stark reminder of how few people hunt far enough away from a truck to necessitate quartering.

Yeah, I need to find a processor more like that. Steve's is very strict on their rules and with drop off and late charges if you don't pick up. But from what I witnessed when I went there it's understandable with the kind of volumes they are dealing with. I won't be going back most likely, not cause it was bad, but it was too stressful with simply witnessing the chaos and dealing with strict drop off and pick up times that don't jive well with anyone with a normal work week.

I work downtown and the meat cleaver was logistically the easy to work with... got a bull home (boned out) on Sat night, cut and wrapped all the steaks and roast Sunday, put my grind pile the freezer at home and then took it with me in a cooler when I went to work Monday, during my lunch break drove over and dropped it off...

That's something I've been noticing more and more. Bringing quartered animals to the meat processor makes you a minority for two reasons I presume 1) most people who quarter in the field process themselves, and 2) it's a stark reminder of how few people hunt far enough away from a truck to necessitate quartering.

Also I bet 90% of elk/ deer killed within 90min of Denver are done so on private land.

Speaking of private land, I have an ignorant question. Are private hunting leases available out here, in the same style as back east? Meaning can a few guys get together and lease a private chunk with year round access and hunt multiple species? Or is more ad hoc style for a single hunt for a specific species?

I work downtown and the meat cleaver was logistically the easy to work with... got a bull home (boned out) on Sat night, cut and wrapped all the steaks and roast Sunday, put my grind pile the freezer at home and then took it with me in a cooler when I went to work Monday, during my lunch break drove over and dropped it off...

Also I bet 90% of elk/ deer killed within 90min of Denver are done so on private land.

Speaking of private land, I have an ignorant question. Are private hunting leases available out here, in the same style as back east? Meaning can a few guys get together and lease a private chunk with year round access and hunt multiple species? Or is more ad hoc style for a single hunt for a specific species?

Yes, both private and state lands. I know people lease them, but don't personally know anyone that has ever done it. I have always been interested in a whitetail/waterfowl lease in eastern CO but have never pursued it...

That is an excellent thought. Land is so available out there, one would think it's a possibility. I would be down. Throw in pheasants as well.

Oddly enough when I first got out here I drew an easy to get antelope tag in Eastern Co. Come to find out there wasn't any public land in the unit. I ran an ad for 3 months in the local paper asking to trade hunting access for a trespass fee. Not a single response 😄

Yes, both private and state lands. I know people lease them, but don't personally know anyone that has ever done it. I have always been interested in a whitetail/waterfowl lease in eastern CO but have never pursued it...

I use a local processor in the area I hunt for my deer and antelope, he's the same butcher I take my cattle to. I bring my game in gutted, he'll cape if you are doing a shoulder mount. My cattle go to his slaughter guy first and he picks the halves up from slaughter. His jalapeno cheddar sausage is pretty dang good.

2 years ago I was on a time sensitive hunt for my daughter up in NW CO and we took her deer to H&H Processing in Meeker and they did a fine job and the price was reasonable for the quick turn around.

That is an excellent thought. Land is so available out there, one would think it's a possibility. I would be down. Throw in pheasants as well.

Oddly enough when I first got out here I drew an easy to get antelope tag in Eastern Co. Come to find out there wasn't any public land in the unit. I ran an ad for 3 months in the local paper asking to trade hunting access for a trespass fee. Not a single response 😄
Knock on any doors?

Limited experience with processors out there(1 deer)but don't a lot of them base price on the hanging weight of the carcass?

Limited experience with processors out there(1 deer)but don't a lot of them base price on the hanging weight of the carcass?
Yeah that's been my experience, to be a bit more specific in CO and MT (where I've used processors) they either charge a flat rate per animal (if brought in whole) + add charge for specialty, or if just meat is brought in they just charge you by the pound.

Perhaps they are worried about keeping quarters together, a whole carcass is easier for processors to keep track of individual animals .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back