Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Prime rib

theory there is that the longer you can let it sit on the fridge wrapped in cheese cloth the more it the roast will lose moisture and intensify flavor. Cheese cloth helps prevent rind. It’s actually a little Alton brown trick!

He actually recommends 7 days. I mean it’s not dry aging, but it’s achieving some similar results to a little bit of dry aging. My plan is to just do two cause I think that all I’ll be able to manage given I’ll be cooking this at my parents house.

I think if you do go for seven probably shouldn’t season first, that’s just what my gut tells me for some reason

Put it on a wire rack with a cookie sheet under it also. I age all my meat in the fridge. Sometimes 2-3weeks in a vacuum sealed bag.

Put it on a wire rack with a cookie sheet under it also. I age all my meat in the fridge. Sometimes 2-3weeks in a vacuum sealed bag.
w/ or w/o seasoning rub? If w/o, do you leave it with the rub a day or few?
And the cookie sheet - if I understand, place the PR on the wire rack one level above the cookie sheet and the sheet is merely present to catch the drippings? This follows into my next Q - how best to make the Au Jus? Mix with the cookie sheet drippings?
My favorite horseradish mix is 1 part raw ground horseradish mixed w/ 2-3 part sour cream. Any other mix ideas? Yes, on rare occasions, when I need a nasal cleanse I'll take a bite or few w/ straight raw horseradish however, I find it takes away from the main dish, being the PR.

Any other mix ideas? Yes, on rare occasions, when I need a nasal cleanse I'll take a bite or few w/ straight raw horseradish however, I find it takes away from the main dish, being the PR.

you're obviously a horseradish guy, and i also like it. however, when it comes to prime rib or other steaks that often get a goopy topping, i find nothing beats a good blue cheese sauce

i've never made one myself, but it's something to think about if you wanna mix it up

i'd imagine all it takes is high quality crumbly blue cheese from the cheese counter, plenty of fresh garlic, cream, and butter. i'd add cayenne for a little zip

could even experiment with gorgonzola

oh man, i can hear @Big Fin cursing my name all the way up there in bozetown

w/ or w/o seasoning rub? If w/o, do you leave it with the rub a day or few?
And the cookie sheet - if I understand, place the PR on the wire rack one level above the cookie sheet and the sheet is merely present to catch the drippings? This follows into my next Q - how best to make the Au Jus? Mix with the cookie sheet drippings?
My favorite horseradish mix is 1 part raw ground horseradish mixed w/ 2-3 part sour cream. Any other mix ideas? Yes, on rare occasions, when I need a nasal cleanse I'll take a bite or few w/ straight raw horseradish however, I find it takes away from the main dish, being the PR.
I don’t season any of the meat when im aging it. I’ve tried it both ways and feel like if using salt in the seasoning it tends to really dry the meat out.
I season the meat when I take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit out a few hours before cooking.
If I’m using a wire rack it’s merely placed in the cookie sheet and meat on top of it.

I don’t season any of the meat when im aging it. I’ve tried it both ways and feel like if using salt in the seasoning it tends to really dry the meat out.
I season the meat when I take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit out a few hours before cooking.
If I’m using a wire rack it’s merely placed in the cookie sheet and meat on top of it.
Yes, I have also found letting the roast come to room temp is very beneficial.
Not much better than a good prime rib cooked to perfection in the smoker. :love:

theory there is that the longer you can let it sit on the fridge wrapped in cheese cloth the more it the roast will lose moisture and intensify flavor. Cheese cloth helps prevent rind. It’s actually a little Alton brown trick!

He actually recommends 7 days. I mean it’s not dry aging, but it’s achieving some similar results to a little bit of dry aging. My plan is to just do two cause I think that all I’ll be able to manage given I’ll be cooking this at my parents house.

I think if you do go for seven probably shouldn’t season first, that’s just what my gut tells me for some reason
Alton brown goes over it in that video posted in an earlier post.

I’m not a horseradish guy but we will definitely have some available. Thanks for the recipe!

How do you sear the ends? I thought that is why you put it in a 500 oven to start?
I let the meat come to room temperature and then get my biggest cast iron I have screaming hot. A little oil or bacon grease in the pan and hold the meat upright on its ends for a couple minutes each until there’s a nice sear. Last one we made, we did not do a 500 degree start.

I let the meat come to room temperature and then get my biggest cast iron I have screaming hot. A little oil or bacon grease in the pan and hold the meat upright on its ends for a couple minutes each until there’s a nice sear. Last one we made, we did not do a 500 degree start.
I originally planned on cooking the prime rib just like I do a whole venison backstrap, which is garlic salt and pepper, and a touch of cayenne pepper 12-18 hours before cooking. I melt butter along with chopped fresh herbs like basil, chive, rosemary and sear it in cast iron and then bake @ 325 until the internal temp was 120. But I couldn’t find any recipes for prime rib on the inter webs to back that idea. Thanks for posting this.

I season the prime rib the day before and let it rest in the fridge overnight. Put it on the smoker until the center hits 115-120 degrees, then let it rest 20 minutes or so and throw it into the oven at 500 degrees until the outside gets a nice crust, maybe 7-8 minutes or so. It's a hit, nobody else is allowed to cook the prime rib at Christmas anymore.

you're obviously a horseradish guy, and i also like it. however, when it comes to prime rib or other steaks that often get a goopy topping, i find nothing beats a good blue cheese sauce

i've never made one myself, but it's something to think about if you wanna mix it up

i'd imagine all it takes is high quality crumbly blue cheese from the cheese counter, plenty of fresh garlic, cream, and butter. i'd add cayenne for a little zip

could even experiment with gorgonzola

oh man, i can hear @Big Fin cursing my name all the way up there in bozetown
you are describing closely what I call a gorgonzola butter sauce I use for venison, duck, and beef. Pucky or not you can dunk a pine cone in that sauce and itll be fit to eat.

the rib roast my work gave me was too big - i suspected it was almost 15 pounds but hadn't weighed it until last night. at my parents house for christmas day dinner it's only going to be my wife and me, my brother, and them

hack saw, hammer, and a cleaver turned a 14.9 pounder into a more proper 7.7 pounder for that crew. now i can thaw what we want without unfreezing the whole thing

i'm not gonna attempt to transport the pellet grill to my parents. though, it almost kills me to cook this thing in an oven. but at least i still have half to cook for ourselves properly smoked 😁

IMG-7058.jpg

Costco has(d) their prime ribs available and we pulled a 6.5#. I shared this thread with my wife and she's off n running! Heh, cheese cloth and all :)
Amazing how much PR's cost! We paid 88$~!
Looking forward to that eve. Great thread - thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back