Prime rib

Gellar

I’ve been tasked with cooking a prime rib for Christmas. Prime rib always intrigues me I think because it is such an expensive cut. So, Give me your best recipe and techniques.

my organization gifts us prime ribs at christmas. this is my first christmas season working for them and i'm quite happy about it.

i may be cooking it for the family this christmas, but that means i'd have to get the pellet grill in the truck to take to my parents.

either way, when i cook it, i plan to keep it relatively simple. give it a good healthy salty and spicy rub all around the outside and let it sit in the fridge in cheese cloth or simply covered for like 2 days.

then i'm gonna pellet grill it at 225 until it hits an internal temp of like 115. then i'm gonna crank the pellet grill to like 450 until the outside starts to brown up

though, i'm toying with the idea of pellet grilling it until it hits an internal of like 105-110, and then slicing individual steaks off it and searing those real quick in butter for everyone

I run with course salt, pepper, rosemary. Leave in fridge overnight, uncovered to dry. Smoke to 125degress. Usually takes 3-4 hours in my smoker. Let rest. Slice.

Serve with horseradish sauce.

1 cup greek yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
Horse radish to taste. I usually use the baby food jar size of zatarans
Course black pepper to taste
2-3 minced cloves of garlic

Good luck!

Key caveat to all of the below. DO NOT overcook prime rib. It dries out and toughens up. Prime rib should always be cooked to rare or medium rare.

Ingredients

1 4-bone prime rib, bones and excess fat removed and reserved
4 teaspoons kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
4 cloves garlic, unpeeled, smashed
4 ounces arugula (optional)
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (optional)

Directions

1. Liberally season the prime rib with the salt and some pepper and refrigerate overnight.
  2. An hour before cooking, remove the roast from the refrigerator to allow it to come to room temperature.
  3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  4. Put the reserved ribs in a roasting pan bowed-side up (the ribs will be acting as the roasting rack). Scatter any fat and meat trimmings in the pan around the bones. Roast the bones and trimmings for about 30 minutes, or until the fat starts to render.
  5. Remove the pan from the oven, put the rosemary sprigs on top of the bones, then top with the prime rib. Put the smashed garlic in the bottom of the pan with the trimmings. Baste the beef with the fat drippings and return the pan to the oven.
  6. Cook for 30 minutes and then baste the roast again.
  7. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and cook until the meat is medium rare (an internal temperature of 125 degrees F to 130 degrees F), about 1 hour, 15 minutes, basting the roast every 30 minutes until it is done. Keep in mind that the roast will continue to cook while resting.
  8. Remove the roast from the oven and put it on a cutting board to rest, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Slice the prime rib to the desired thickness and garnish with the arugula and olive oil.
I recommend using a meat thermometer when cooking prime rib and cook until internal temp is between 120 degrees for rare and 125 to 130 for medium rare. Do not cook past medium rare for prime rib. Pellet grills work for this, just watch the internal temps close.

Bambistew's post #10 Once you get the timing down this works great with any size roast

This recipe has worked well for me..........

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Garlic butter
1 cup butter
4 cloves minced garlic
~1TBS each rosemary & Tyme (fresh, finely chopped)
1Tsp Salt
1Tsp black pepper

Let butter soften a bit then mix all ingredients above thoroughly. Completely coat prime in the butter mix. Place on a rack over a baking sheet. Bake ~5 1/2 mins per pound and round up to the next minute. Turn off oven and leave roast for 2 hours. DO NOT open the oven during this time. Turns out medium rare. The drippings from the baking sheet make a great sauce with a splash of Lambrusco.

Last edited:
Remember anything less than 3 ribs is a steak. I typically make a 5-6 rib roast. I rub mine in Olive oil, cover it in fresh garlic and porterhouse steak and rub seasoning

I get it at stater bros meat department in CA (essentially Rosemary,garlic,salt,pepper etc) among other places I’m sure.

Let it come to room temperature, drop her in the oven at 500 for 20 mins then lower it to 325 for 11-15 per lb till it reaches 125. Pull it out and let it rest 15-20 mins. Little aujus and some cut horseradish.. no secrets, no mysteries. Keep it simple.

Last edited:
Searing is highly recommended. Not in my recipe I posted but should be. Sear the prime rib before you start cooking. Pays off big time.

I found this last night and am leaning towards trying it this year. I did one last year with a different recipe that was more of a fast cook on the traeger that turned out good, but this one looks like it definitely has potential.

Fresh minced garlic rubbed on the outside of a prime rib roast should never be overlooked.

I've had great luck with roasting prime rib for 5 min per lb at 500 degrees, then shutting off the oven and letting it sit for 2 hours. You got to trust the process and not open the oven. Comes out perfect medium rare every time. Have done with with 4-8 lb roasts, and never had a problem.

The rubs I use vary from time-to-time, but the process has stayed the same.

I found this last night and am leaning towards trying it this year. I did one last year with a different recipe that was more of a fast cook on the traeger that turned out good, but this one looks like it definitely has potential.
That looks amazing!

Cut meat off bones save bones salt heavy all sides and put back on bones in fridge for day up to three. Sit on counter for 4-5 hours before cooking. Take 1/3 bottle of Dijon mustard and 1/2 to 2/3 tube of chopped basil and mix. Apply over entire roast. Tie bones back in place. Start in preheated oven at 400 for 20 min and turn off oven and leave shut till temp probe reads 115-117. Pull and tent with foil for at least 20 min.

and let it sit in the fridge in cheese cloth or simply covered for like 2 days.
I love when my wife finds our Costco with prime rib! One of those moments I enter my house and instantly I salivate over the awesome smell flowing from the kitchen! Oh man... I'll need to toss that hint her way today as my dribble is a bit, eh, out of control at the moment merely thinking about that smell followed by taste.

Question about this - why? Does it really settle the rub flavor deeper than w/o 2 days? and the cheesecloth, I've heard of though never used... what benefit does this provide?

I love when my wife finds our Costco with prime rib! One of those moments I enter my house and instantly I salivate over the awesome smell flowing from the kitchen! Oh man... I'll need to toss that hint her way today as my dribble is a bit, eh, out of control at the moment merely thinking about that smell followed by taste.

Question about this - why? Does it really settle the rub flavor deeper than w/o 2 days? and the cheesecloth, I've heard of though never used... what benefit does this provide?

theory there is that the longer you can let it sit on the fridge wrapped in cheese cloth the more it the roast will lose moisture and intensify flavor. Cheese cloth helps prevent rind. It’s actually a little Alton brown trick!

He actually recommends 7 days. I mean it’s not dry aging, but it’s achieving some similar results to a little bit of dry aging. My plan is to just do two cause I think that all I’ll be able to manage given I’ll be cooking this at my parents house.

I think if you do go for seven probably shouldn’t season first, that’s just what my gut tells me for some reason

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back