Caribou Gear Tarp

Prime rib

Give this a shot; we use it on prime rib, French dips, anything that calls for au jus-
5 tablespoons beef drippings
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup red wine (Shiraz)
2 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

👍🏻

In 24 hours I went from 0 prime rib to having 3. My MIL was in charge of getting the prime rib, I am in charge of cooking it. She ordered 2 last week from the butcher and they were going to be ready today. On Sunday a guy that deer hunts with us brought by a 15lb frozen, partially cooked prime rib. The already frozen one is staying in the freezer and one of the fresh ones is going to join it. Both of the fresh ones were about 12 pounds but one is no-roll and one is choice.
1608687779519.jpeg

In 24 hours I went from 0 prime rib to having 3. My MIL was in charge of getting the prime rib, I am in charge of cooking it. She ordered 2 last week from the butcher and they were going to be ready today. On Sunday a guy that deer hunts with us brought by a 15lb frozen, partially cooked prime rib. The already frozen one is staying in the freezer and one of the fresh ones is going to join it. Both of the fresh ones were about 12 pounds but one is no-roll and one is choice.
View attachment 167303

That's an awesome problem to have! ;)

Tuesday: wrap in cheese cloth
Wednesday: season with kosher salt and pepper liberally on all sides.
Friday: remove from fridge at 6:30
10:30 warm oven to 500 while chopping garlic, thyme and rosemary
11:00 coat roast in evoo, kosher salt, and herbs; sear for 30 minutes ( smoke detector started going off at 10 minutes, we held out to 20 and pulled it!
11:20 into a 225 degree roaster pan. Roast was 46 degrees according to thermometer
2:00 roast reached 120 degrees
2:30 after resting for 30 minutes temp was 130.
1608937674058.jpeg
1608937755071.jpeg

notes:
- I would of liked to sear for the entire 30 minutes to get the crisp skin.
- it took longer then I thought to get to 120 to begin rest
- flavor was phenomenal.
-done ness was perfect to satisfy everyone medium on ends, rare in the middle
-it’s amazing how long it takes people to get up from their drink and conversation when you say dinner is ready.

Last edited:
Went with 450 oven for 10 min and then 325 for 1.5 hrs and then turned down to 200 and took out at 120. The roast was pre cut off bones and I didn't like how it cooked where cut. Dijon Mustard and herbs after a 24 hr salt.

Attachments

• 20201225_180925.jpg
    20201225_180925.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20201225_154454.jpg
    20201225_154454.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20201225_174438.jpg
    20201225_174438.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
roughly three hours in my parents oven at 225. then to the grill/cast iron for a sizzlin sear. my mom made a mushroom blue cheese sauce for it

i wish i went through the effort to bring my pellet grill along, but it was amazing regardless

IMG-7088.jpgIMG-7089.jpg

IMG-7091.jpgIMG-7097.jpg

Man you guys killed it on the prime rib today! Looks delicious. I forgot to take a pic but grilled some aged ribeyes today.

Dang, it! I knew I was forgetting something ... did not take a picture of mine. I am glad I see some blood on them prime ribs, WTG!

Get with the times. Not only should you post to Ht, but Facebook, IG, chat snap, tik tok, and whatever else is out there. 😂
I know right, no excuses! I ended up cooking a 7.5-pound medium and another 5-pound rare. Got too busy at the kitchen and tending with guest, I totally forgot to take pictures.

ADDED: I guess my son managed to take some pix, except on the medium only. Oh well, better than nothing. The meat is pre-age for 28 days at the butcher per my wife's request.

Prime rib 2.jpg
(Stuffed roasted fresh garlic and fresh rosemary between bottom ribs and prime. Plugged roasted fresh garlic and fresh rosemary on top. Drizzled with olive oil seasoned with salt and pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.

Prime rib 4.jpg

The other one was blue rare and had some blood juices goodness oozing out. :)

The wife ordered a 7 pounder that is going to be aged for 60-days. It is due in March, and I cannot wait to try it. It will definitely take pictures then.

Last edited:
Feenix… That looks fantastic! You mentioned a 28 day pre-aged. How is that done and what does this enhance? Photo wise - it looks absolutely amazing!

Feenix… That looks fantastic! You mentioned a 28 day pre-aged. How is that done and what does this enhance? Photo wise - it looks absolutely amazing!
As I understand it, you pick your meat, and they age it in their aging room, similar to the video below.

Last edited:
Always cook too much so make leftover philly rib roast subs. 1 pepper and onion cooked first little oil then just a little water. Once gone add few shakes Worcester and steak sauce and dollop of miracle whip keep warm. Heat meat 300. Put slab miracle whip on sub roll and then little bit Italian cheese. Put meat and onion pepper mix on top more cheese and put in oven for couple min to get warm and melt cheese.20201228_140307.jpg20201228_135040.jpg

Always cook too much so make leftover philly rib roast subs. 1 pepper and onion cooked first little oil then just a little water. Once gone add few shakes Worcester and steak sauce and dollop of miracle whip keep warm. Heat meat 300. Put slab miracle whip on sub roll and then little bit Italian cheese. Put meat and onion pepper mix on top more cheese and put in oven for couple min to get warm and melt cheese.View attachment 167941View attachment 167942
Yes, please!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back