PEAX Equipment

Price point = good scopes

DamascusSteel

At what point do you get good scopes? If 500$ is my budget should I buy or wait and save up for a better scope around 1000$ is there a significant difference 200 and 500 and 1000?

What kind of scope are you looking at, and what are your uses? You can buy a very functional and reliable hunting scope for your budget, but if you want a precision target scope with fancy reticles and dials you will probably be disappointed.

If you can afford more, you will often get what you pay for, but you have to know what you want first.

I'm 58 and have only gotten into "good glass" withing the last six or seven years.
I've replaced a lot of other brands' less expensive scopes, but my VX-1 and VX-II Leupold's are good enough that I've just not ever needed to replace them.
I've thrown away enough $200 scopes to have bought a $1000 scope.

My Leupold VX-R is comparable to my brothers Swaro Z3 in low light. I think there's a bigger difference in a cheap to mid range scope than a mid to high end one.

Low light is my measure, lost a stag once when I had poor glass. Could see him with the naked eye but was a blur in the grey dawn before sun rose in heavy bush. a VX-R or similar is a good compromise on quality and price.

SWFA 6x42 is the best deal on the market at $300, even less during black Friday sales. For $600, you can upgrade a little to the SWFA 3-9×42 (my current favorite scope).

The SWFAs are as mechanically sound as far as tracking/zero retention as any scope out there. The 3-9 is optically equal or better than most of the alpha glass I have compared it to in low light tests I have done.

If you prefer a SFP scope, I have been really pleased with a Tract Toric 2-10×42. I have used the scope 3 years. The tracking is dead on. And has held zero reliability. The optics are superb as well. All reviews I have read by other owners echo the same sentiment. I believe these can be picked up for < $700.

I was traditionally a set and forget scope kind of guy, but got tired of scope failures, wandering zero, and inconsistent tracking leading to a box of shells at rifle sight in. I made the plunge to reputable dialers and immediately felt silly for not doing so 5 years earlier.

Good luck!

SWFA 6x42 is the best deal on the market at $300, even less during black Friday sales. For $600, you can upgrade a little to the SWFA 3-9×42 (my current favorite scope).

The SWFAs are as mechanically sound as far as tracking/zero retention as any scope out there. The 3-9 is optically equal or better than most of the alpha glass I have compared it to in low light tests I have done.

If you prefer a SFP scope, I have been really pleased with a Tract Toric 2-10×42. I have used the scope 3 years. The tracking is dead on. And has held zero reliability. The optics are superb as well. All reviews I have read by other owners echo the same sentiment. I believe these can be picked up for < $700.

I was traditionally a set and forget scope kind of guy, but got tired of scope failures, wandering zero, and inconsistent tracking leading to a box of shells at rifle sight in. I made the plunge to reputable dialers and immediately felt silly for not doing so 5 years earlier.

Good luck!
I don't disagree with these suggestions!

That said, both of these meet the criteria you've posted if the mag and objective size aren't a bother for you:

with what leupold, vortex and even nikon making nowadays you will be more than happy with any scope in that price range. I have a couple of the new leupold VX-freedom "budget" scopes and i have been more than happy with them, and they come well under your budget.

Back