Price point = good scopes

VX-3i will fit the bill. I just got a few 4.5-14-40 CDS ZL2 Wimdplex scope in stock. You or anyone on hunt talk can PM me for a price well below manufacture allowed advertised price.
Thank you I will be in the market next year for another scope will definitely PM you then.

I would take a hard look at Arken optics, I bought thrie SH4 4-14x44 $349 for a mil FFP scope couldnt afford not to. I ended up replacing the the vortex HS-T 4-16x44 on my hunting rifle at the time. The zero stop is the best and easiest i have ever used, warranty was awsome and tracked perfect. Already ordered their new EP4 6-24x50 for $599 my 300wm build they make a great product. Not that others dont but this happens to be one where you get more than you pay for.

I think there's a bigger difference in a cheap to mid range scope than a mid to high end one.

This is very true. The step up from $200 to $500 in quality is bigger than the step up from $500 to $1,000. To be fair, from $500 to $1,000 gets you a lot but not so much quality of features and functionality, clarity at distance, variable range (say a 4, 5, or 6x range) which all are very good depending on your hunting style.

For example, a $500 Leupold may be a 4x12 where the $1,000 version is a 4x16 or even a 4x20. If you want the ability to shoot 200 yards to 1,000 yards that may matter.

The best way to pick out a scope is go to a local gun shop and test drive them. Any good shop owner will let you take the scopes outside of their shop and look through them at object far away. Take the scope and look into the direction of the sun. Is there a blinding glare? I've found its best to look at scopes right at dusk or dawn...prime hunting time. That sharp sun angle coming up can create some nasty glare and scopes are not all created equal here. Also, looking through the scopes in that twilight will really show you the difference in light that the scope gathers making it easier to see out of some scopes and damn near impossible for others.

My result this spring when I was in the market ended up being with a Vortex Viper PST. The gen II was basically the same scope with more bells and whistles and I couldn't justify the extra $500 for it. I haven't shot with it yet though so we will see once its field tested. Right now the scope is being Cerakoted and can't wait to see it when it returns :)

When I got my 6.5x06 done I looked for a scope to shoot paper with to 500yds. First scope I tried was a 4-16x Bushnell. Money was tight so got an inexpensive one. Found out the adjustment dials didn't work well at all. Took it back and got a 4 1/2-14x Nikon. $200 on sale and everything worked fine. Only thing I don't like is that BDC reticule, what a distraction. Sighted it in foe MPBR at an 8" target then ran the number's through my chronograph and got the number of inches up at 500yds. Tried it out and it worked fine. In fact even went back to zero fine. But actually the cross wires are just to thick for me! The one thing I don't like about that Nikon was I wanted that BDC taken out and Nikon refused to do it! Probably should have got a Leupold! I think that how much you pay for a scope on a hunting rifle is not so important as how well you like the scope you get. You don't like the scope, you don't like the scope and doesn't matter how well it might work. I am not convinced by spending more money you actually get something better. Then if I was a competative shooter I'd probably deny that! If $500 wasn't all that much to me, I would probably spend more on the scope. Don't really believe I'd get that much more but you tell someone your scope cost $500 and unless they have a $600 scope, your become their hero!

Some guy's talk about better glass in expensive scopes. I don't know that there is or isn't! Guess I'd have to look through one to tell if I could see the difference. Better glass on a lesser scope still equals a lesser scope! I'm not really sold on the idea that more money get's you that much better of a scope but it will get you a scope that cost's more. had an inexpensive Tasco World Class years ago that suited me just fine. Dials worked right every time but it was an ugly scope! After years of use I donated it to a kid for his 22 RF. Far as I know it's still working today. So would I say get a tasco? No, I think I might have gotten lucky and got a Wednesday scope! But I have a couple 2-7x Redfield's/Leupolds on rifles. Little over $150 each and I'd get another in a heart beat. Why? Because they just work for me. I have never shot comprtation other than RF and used scopes for hunting. I have never taken but one shot much beyond 200yds either other than one at 330 measured but just to say I did it. Used the 4 1/2-14 on 4 1/2x! One shot and one down. Then again if I was going to be serious about competitive target shooting, the rules would change for me. In that case I might get a more expensive scope, don't know right now and at this point in my life doubt I'll find out. My impression of competitive shooting is the best shooter's win! Ya just can't by quality shooting by paying a lot for equipment!

Last edited:
I would take a hard look at Arken optics, I bought thrie SH4 4-14x44 $349 for a mil FFP scope couldnt afford not to. I ended up replacing the the vortex HS-T 4-16x44 on my hunting rifle at the time. The zero stop is the best and easiest i have ever used, warranty was awsome and tracked perfect. Already ordered their new EP4 6-24x50 for $599 my 300wm build they make a great product. Not that others dont but this happens to be one where you get more than you pay for.
I wouldn't. Arken is like others that are stuck in the mindset everyone wants a stupid busy reticle most average hunters don't understand. I chewed Athlon out for the same reason and told them I can't sell their products without a simple duplex reticle

I find myself doubting the need for the high priced scopes for typical hunting so I don't buy them. As long as they are reliable they are good enough for me. I think the most expensive scope I own is about $350. Most are the bottom of the pile leupold Vx1 Fixed Leupold or Vari/VX 2s. I've yet to have an issue with one, or not have an opportunity to kill an animal because I didnt' spend $1000 on a scope. I don't shoot long range, and I don't target shoot, so really have no use for the rest. I think guys get way to tangled up in mental gymnastics when it comes to scopes used for hunting and the need to have the best of the best of something even when they look through it about 20 seconds a hunt. I'd rather spend the money other places on things that get used more. Binos/spotters/boots, etc. A scope isn't going to make or break a hunt unless it takes a dump.

the need to have the best of the best of something even when they look through it about 20 seconds a hunt
Except when it doesn't work for that 20 seconds. Basically that just means getting beyond that entry cheap level. I started hunting as a kid with 50 to 150 dollar scopes and had one fog up at shot time, dropped the gun 3 feet and had the scope lens crack landing on just dirt and had glare so back that while I could see the buck plain as day 200 yards away in the vortex binos, I couldn't even remotely find the buck in the sunlight using the cheap Bushnell.

Just get beyond that cheap line and get into the quality line at that 250 plus pricerange

Plenty of scopes made in Japan, USA and Europe in(and even below) the $500 range if you catch a sale or find a good dealer. If it was made in any of those places, it’s usually plenty good.

VX3 or VX3i 3.5-10x40 always seems like the right answer me for that use. im sure your vortex will work great for you.
Thank you for this advice. I noticed that Leupold also offers the CDS in the VX3i. What’s your experience getting your custom dial? I may be misunderstanding the description on the website so appreciate your thoughts and help in advance. I wonder if it’s as easy as it looks (and it looks super easy and use friendly).

I have a VX3i 3.5-10x40 on a .30-06 and have been very pleased with it. Crisp glass, but further than 350yds, could use more magnification.

I have a Viper 6.5-20x50 on a 7mm Rem Mag and it’s a wonderful piece of glass.

Both were in the $400-$500 range and have served me very well. Good luck and good huntin!

Thank you for this advice. I noticed that Leupold also offers the CDS in the VX3i. What’s your experience getting your custom dial? I may be misunderstanding the description on the website so appreciate your thoughts and help in advance. I wonder if it’s as easy as it looks (and it looks super easy and use friendly).
Cant help you on the cds dial info. Im set it and forget it. I have one vx3i 4.5-14x 40 with cds but its still in the box and not yet found its rifle. ended up with it in a trade deal.

I have 2 VX2 scopes on various rifles and I would trust them to 500 yards. I have a Leupold rifleman on my 7 mm mag and I'll see how that holds up. When I can grab a Leupold off of Amazon for like $250 I'm going to grab it. Once I feel I need to upgrade I'll contact schmalts for my needs. I just wish Theron made rifle scopes. Got on it, Pat :p

I have 2 VX2 scopes on various rifles and I would trust them to 500 yards. I have a Leupold rifleman on my 7 mm mag and I'll see how that holds up. When I can grab a Leupold off of Amazon for like $250 I'm going to grab it. Once I feel I need to upgrade I'll contact schmalts for my needs. I just wish Theron made rifle scopes. Got on it, Pat :p
Thank you for your post! It got me wondering about prices and I found the VX Freedom for $250 on Leupold’s amazon shop. Would you recommend this for a 270 for deer (hopefully elk someday) in Tennessee? aka 250 yards. Really appreciate your posts!!

Cant help you on the cds dial info. Im set it and forget it. I have one vx3i 4.5-14x 40 with cds but its still in the box and not yet found its rifle. ended up with it in a trade deal.
Thank you! If you ever try that 40mm scope with the CDS please let me know. It looks like such a great (though pricey) Leupold system. I really appreciate your reply!

I’ve been super happy with my Vortex Viper 4-16x44 LR mounted on a Tikka .264WM.

Viper is a great deal, functions excellent, great warranty, and the $500 price point is a bargain. I don’t buy cheap, but don’t buy expensive rifle scopes either. Binos however, spend the money, you look through binos for hours on a hunt, rifle scope, seconds or minutes at best.
I have the Viper HS 4x16x44 with a BDC and love it.....I have used it from +-50m to 390m so far on my Savage 110 in '06. The true test is actually looking through the glass. When I was at the store and compared the $300 scope to the Viper I was blown away. The Leupold's in the same price bracket will not disappoint either.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back