Preventing Knife Cuts in the Field

I need one of these. Seems I knick myself everytime I butcher antelope or deer. In the field I work fast because I want to get them in the cooler as quick as possible. Ideally, you never want to cut towards yourself or your extremities, but it never fails, I do.
I do this all the time as well. I know better. I have felt the consequences, and yet I still catch myself doing it because I'm in a hurry.

There are very inexpensive carving gloves that are kevlar I believe. Lighter and warmer than steel?

I like the idea of a glove on my off hand. I've cut myself plenty of times. Even if not requiring stitches (once), spending a week in the woods with a sore, mildly infected finger sort of sucks.

good thread. I think I will throw one of those gloves in my hunting pack's butch kit for next year.
Real good advice that I will be following!

So related feedback... my bear last week i tried a cheapy amazon cut resistant glove on my left hand (below)while skinning and working hide/skull next day. Just wanted to see if it impeaded hand ability/dexterity etc. I pulled a rubber glove also a xl over it and worked great and after a couple minutes didnt even notice had anything more than a latex glove on. While i didnt cut myself to test my only complaint or negative was my hand seemed to get cold quick. I do a lot of solo hunting so i should minimize risks when possible and as many scars as my fingers have i should probably have done this sooner!

Glove Station Ultra Durable Series Cut Resistant Gloves - High Performance Level 5 Protection, Food Grade, Hi-Viz Orange, X-Large Size, 1 Pair
Visit the Glove Station Store
4.5 out of 5 stars 2,312 ratings
Price: $6.99 & FREE Returns

I have found if I let my buddy who when asked got a knife responds "are the Kennedy's gun shy" do the cutting i dont accidently slice my hand. I have always wanted a glove but it was more for fish. Never thought about it for animals. Just worried how clean you could get it.

slow down, sharper knives and use the right knife for the specific job. Knives that hold an edge longer will have you in the long run it makes a difference.Perosnally if I am hunting by myself i short quarter everything. most cuts happen inside the while gutting.

Back