Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Meat Field Care

Thanks guys! In the area I'm hunting making a little bench over a creek should not be a problem. That is some great advice! Now the trick is to get some meat to try it on;)

So I've never hung meat before. Its always skin, quarter, ice for 3-5 days then butcher. Along the way draining the water periodically. Every person I know does this exact process to a "T". I have never heard of deer spoiling this way. What bacteria are we trying to stop that I might be consuming? This is not me "trolling", its me being concerned. I always hear of people air cooling meat just not once it has made it to the truck where it can be put in an ice chest.

Guess we're kind of spoiled because really only early antelope is really too warm to hang meat most years. Our garage stays cool enough to age meat from about Sept. until it gets minus 20 outside.

Sorry if this has been answered already on this thread, but I'm pressed for time. Here in Indiana whitetail land, most of us field dress, but keep the skin on and animal whole. It's going to be upper 70's this weekend, and if I get lucky enough to kill a deer, I'm looking at 2 to 3 hours to drag the deer, and then drive to a processor (once again--pressed for time). I should be able to get an ice bag or 2 in the cavity in less than 2 hours. Should I expect meat spoilage in 2 hours at 75 degrees in the shade?

Sorry if this has been answered already on this thread, but I'm pressed for time. Here in Indiana whitetail land, most of us field dress, but keep the skin on and animal whole. It's going to be upper 70's this weekend, and if I get lucky enough to kill a deer, I'm looking at 2 to 3 hours to drag the deer, and then drive to a processor (once again--pressed for time). I should be able to get an ice bag or 2 in the cavity in less than 2 hours. Should I expect meat spoilage in 2 hours at 75 degrees in the shade?
You’ll be just fine.

thanks for the quick reply, and assurance. I usually don't hunt much when its this warm.
If you get cell service, you could check it in on your phone and skin/quarter it to go into the cooler. That's my plan if I tag one. Then again, I'll be doing my own processing.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back