Caribou Gear Tarp

Meat Field Care

Wow, awesome post. That just saved a bunch of research for novices just like me. Back east we generally have quick access to home or atleast a cooler and ice. I just appreciate somebody sharing stuff like this. It sure does take away a serious concern when you havent had to deal with situations like this. Western do it yourself hunts are intimidating because of lack of experience with situations just like this. Thanks!!!!!

This has to be one of the most detailed post I have read in awhile. It is all very sound advise. I have been using the Havalon for a few years now as well and have mixed feelings about it. I never before thought of buying a commercial grade boning knife. Sounds like a perfect stocking stuffer idea for the wife.

I carry a boning knife, but use my hunting knife for cutting the hide, How does your Forchner knife hold up?

Very informative thread from obviously an experienced guy based on personal experience and learning from mistakes, provides a great short cut for the less experienced hunters.

I have a Forchner 5, brilliant knives that sharpen up in an instant, the Havalon is also great, but you can cut yourself without even knowing it, based on personal experience!
People don't realise you can completely dress/bone out a deer with just a knife, no saw required.

Sacks i have very little experience with as they aren't necessary where i live, but for a quick fix at home just to keep the flies off i hang my big deer in the garage with a quilt cover tied over it, not for long though as bacteria grows at any temperature above 7c.

Cheers

Richard

Great post - I agree with making it a sticky.

I use a Forschner boning knife with a slightly backswept blade, carried i a plastic knife safe.

Allied Kenco sales is a good source for knives and other butcher supplies, at

http://www.alliedkenco.com/

Thanks.

I have a Forchner 5, brilliant knives that sharpen up in an instant, the Havalon is also great, but you can cut yourself without even knowing it, based on personal experience

I'll second that on the Havalon, wonderful knife, but be careful!

Really good info, Bambi. I have pretty much the same ideas as you. If possible, I will hang the meat over a water source and put a tarp over it to keep it shaded. Evaporation reduces temperatures even further, making a water source (preferably a small stream) a place of the coolest temps usually found.

I need to try the Forchner knife.

I have used TAG bags in the past and found them to be a good product. I have since started using Caribou Game Bags and like them even more. All the attributes you mention about synthetic versus cotton are spot on, at least from my experience.

Thanks for sharing. I encourage all who get to do a lot of this kind of field meat care to think about their process and see if you have anything to add to the excellent level of detail Bambi has provided. All members will benefit.

Has anybody ever taken a small plastic drop cloth to aid in keeping the meat clean? I've thought about getting an 8x8' piece or so and could use it to set meat on to keep it out of the grass/dirt. Once done with it you could just pack it out and throw it in the garbage.

Has anybody ever taken a small plastic drop cloth to aid in keeping the meat clean? I've thought about getting an 8x8' piece or so and could use it to set meat on to keep it out of the grass/dirt. Once done with it you could just pack it out and throw it in the garbage.

I use the space blankets for this if I end up in an area with lots of dirt.

I carry one anyway in my emergency kit and they only cost a couple bucks so I'll just lay it out, throw some rocks on the corners and use it as a staging area when taking the meat off the carcass before bagging it.

The only real drawback is that it tears fairly easy and depending on the weather it can stick to the meat so you have to fight that when you are picking up a quarter and trying to put it in a bag.

I pack some painters plastic to lay out on the ground when I bone out. I use some sticks/logs to hold plastic down.

When breaking animal down (gutless) I peel the hide back and use it as a working spot as bag quarters/meat.

I archery hunt and most of the time I am solo. Initially when I bag the quarters, I leave the bone in. Why? #1-It is easier to use the foot as a handle to hang the quarters. #2- It saves me time. As noted above, I am trying to get the meat back to the truck as quickly as possible. The quicker I can get the quarters hanging, the sooner it can develop the crust. I make return trip with frame and plastic to bone out.

As I am hopping meat back to the truck, I will hang the truck meat up at night to cool. In the morning before I head back to kill site/meat pole, I will put meat bags into a cooler or an old sleeping bag to retain the overnight cooling. When I get back to truck at night, repeat..

This thread should be pinned. Thanks Bambi!

meat care

I my backpack I store two large thin mil thickness garbage bags. These bags are cut in half and placed on the ground near where I intend on skinning the deer / elk. . This helps in keeping the meat clean

Great Post. It amazes me how many people leave the hide on all night and the next day when its warm out, then complain amount gamey taste. It's above 20 degrees I usually remove the hide right away, never had any meat that I thought tasted gamey.

This is an awesome thread!!! I learned some stuff. I noticed a lot of y'all talking about using the gutless method. That brings up a question that Ive been wondering about. If it is so important to get the meat cooled, and we know its important, wouldn't it help he cooling process a lot to gut it and open the chest up?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back