Caribou Gear Tarp

Pretty ridiculous hunter-assist story on my 2019 bull!

I didn't miss t

I didn't miss that. If it was quartered that much it wasn't a good shot for a bow. It would have taken a rifle to punch through the shoulder. The elk died, so that's good. I just think it was a chancy shot that couldn't hit more than one lung. Glad it turned out well.

Quartering to shots don't necessarily have to "punch through the shoulder". Without being there, I'm reluctant to proclaim it a chancy shot. Glad it turned out well myself.

I didn't miss t

I didn't miss that. If it was quartered that much it wasn't a good shot for a bow. It would have taken a rifle to punch through the shoulder. The elk died, so that's good. I just think it was a chancy shot that couldn't hit more than one lung. Glad it turned out well.
Wow, you sure make a lot of condescending assumptions for not being present and based off of one photo. Allow me to spell this out and clear it up for you buddy.

It was a steep hillside, and the bull was uphill from me, quartered towards me and definitely not quartered too much (I know when the angle gets too be too much for a shot, towards me or away). I hit him directly behind his front LEFT leg, centering through his left lung, catching the upper rear portion of his right lung, and exiting on the upward/backward angle. Zero gut penetration; after quartering via the gutless method we opened the gut cavity to grab the tenderlions, and this was confirmed.

Please feel free to continue disregarding my details and making pretentious judgmental comments based off of one photo.

Dead elk. Good job.

Found it and likely would have with just the two of you walking a grid pattern for a few hours, even without the 3rd person. That 3rd person saved you a lot of walking and nervousness.

As for shot angle curiosity, I assume the picture shows the exit point of the arrow so the entrance is hard to know from that picture as arrows can deflect at entry as well as deflect as navigate the ribs. There are a lot of shots I would absolutely take at under 10 yards with a strong bow that I would never take at 40 yards. Again, dead elk and nothing to indicate anything but a high odds shot was taken so good job on the hunt.

Dead elk. Good job.

Found it and likely would have with just the two of you walking a grid pattern for a few hours, even without the 3rd person. That 3rd person saved you a lot of walking and nervousness.

As for shot angle curiosity, I assume the picture shows the exit point of the arrow so the entrance is hard to know from that picture as arrows can deflect at entry as well as deflect as navigate the ribs. There are a lot of shots I would absolutely take at under 10 yards with a strong bow that I would never take at 40 yards. Again, dead elk and nothing to indicate anything but a high odds shot was taken so good job on the hunt.
Yep you're right on all accounts. We know the area like the back of our hands, but with the lack of blood, it would have taken a while. I am not a newbie to bowhunting and have shot deer, elk, and bear with my bow at all sorts of angles and inclines and declines. I had not the slightest doubt of the shot or the kill before or after taking it, and this was obviously confirmed. He only made it a couple hundred yards and was dead in a few minutes. I did not think I was going to need to defend any portion of this hunt, but I underestimated the internet.

Interesting negative on shot angle. I "gut punched" one at 23 yards three years ago. Hit it in the pocket at a perfect broadside cow. Arrow deflected into the hind quarter on the off side. left a small blood trail for a hundred yards. Not sure how it happened but did find the cow about 400 yards from shot and the only vital was liver. Stranger things have happened with bows. To the criticizer if you were not there best to keep things to yourself. To the shooter, an elk in the freezer is a great elk especially with a bow, nice job!

WTF is the point of your post? Just like being an @ss?

He does.

The gap in the trees above him is the only way to see into that little pocket; below me taking the photo is thick timber with lots of deadfall. And, his direction of travel was up the hill, further than I would have anticipated, so it would have been some time before we were above this spot looking back. Does that make sense?

Sometime you just have to take whatever shot there is. Not everyone has the luxury of waiting for the perfect shot opportunity. I'm sure elkstalker has never made a less than perfect shot.
You have no need to explain yourself to ElkStalker.

I rarely pass up a to good to be true moment while hunting. I have been skunked to many times to not capitalize on easy kills. Sometimes you just gotta take em as you get em.

Funny. That’s the backbone of a really good right-place-right-time story. Congrats.

Not all heros wear capes. Gives me hope for this world when I hear there are still awesome people in the woods helping others.

Congrats on your bull and a great story to go with it!

Gary

Congrats on the bull! Great story, thanks for sharing! I too am glad to hear stories of hunters helping hunters as that's the way it should be.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back