Pretty neat

Lawnboy

Had an incredible weekend with a bunch of Boy Scouts from our church. One of the young men was in a tragic skiing activity with his troop a year ago that caused him to be paralyzed from the waist down. We have been planning a big multiday activity in Gravelly Range which included day hikes and then on the last day climbing a big local mtn. called Black Butte.
It's been a real challenge for this kid with the diagnosis that he wouldn't be able to move even his neck. He has slowly recovered to be able to move his arms and head but so far nothing below the waist. We took him on a horse for many of the hikes but that required guys on each side to keep him from falling forward and falling off the side.

This last day we were going to climb Black Butte but horses couldn't make it. We designed a lawn chair with poles and some straps to keep him in. The hike is a real scramble and has some pretty steep pitches with shale and boulders.
The boys were incredible and carried that guy to the top trading off with each other. After lots of slips and cut up legs we got Wesley to the top to share in this planned event. I'm pretty sure that he's the first paralyzed guy to sit on top of this mountain. Probably one of the most special experiences I've ever been part of. His dad was in tears as we sat on top and soaked in the special moment we had all been part of.. Bambistew I'm sure is real familiar with this area.

2013-07-13 001 001 (640x480).jpg

2013-07-13 001 002 (480x640).jpg

2013-07-13 001 003 (640x480).jpg
The road in the bottom is where we started
2013-07-13 001 004 (480x640).jpg

2013-07-13 001 005 (640x480).jpg
On top
2013-07-13 001 007 (480x640).jpg

Now that is cool. A lot about compassion for the situation of others is being absorbed by that group of young men. Thanks to all who would commit to doing something like that and making sure their friend got the same view they did.

What an awesome experience! That is going to make a lasting change in everyone involved. They may have been boys at the bottom of that butte, but they were all men by the summit. This is the kind of stuff that restores a guy's faith in mankind.

A Scout is
trustworthy,
loyal,
helpful,
friendly,
courteous,
kind,
obedient,
cheerful,
thrifty,
brave,
clean, and
reverent.
I salute you and the boys for your friendship and hard work

What a great effort for all involved.
Often moments like this can put everything back into perspective for those who think they are doing it tough when in actual fact they have a lot to be thankful for.

Very cool. Sounds like a great Scout troop. Looks like a great weekend.

Last edited:
Now THAT is a service project. Congratulations to all for the hard work and dedication.

Young men become men from things like this. And we become softer seeing things like this. I'm proud of your scout troop...fine men.

Great lesson for all the young men. I think they will remember this outing far into adulthood! Good job all that were involved!

Back