Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Undetermined Death

Redmt

None of you guys actually know me and I've never met any of you that I know of but we've all shared a story or two. This is a short story about an old time friend of mine that was killed nearly 2 weeks ago. I don't remember exactly when we met but we became best of friends and could rely on each other for literally anything. We ran sleeper team together for a couple years and I compared it to sitting in a very small room 24 hours a day, 7 days a week probably 50 weeks out of the year. We knew each other, trusted each other, loved and hated each other. Kinda like an old married couple that didn't quite get along. Anyway, Bart was killed Wednesday before last riding his Harley 2:15 in the morning. That's not a real surprise that he would be riding that late. The real surprise is his death has been officially listed as undetermined with no autopsy before cremation. I hadn't seen him for several years but wish I'd had one more chance to argue and fight with him. RIP Bart.

None of you guys actually know me and I've never met any of you that I know of but we've all shared a story or two. This is a short story about an old time friend of mine that was killed nearly 2 weeks ago. I don't remember exactly when we met but we became best of friends and could rely on each other for literally anything. We ran sleeper team together for a couple years and I compared it to sitting in a very small room 24 hours a day, 7 days a week probably 50 weeks out of the year. We knew each other, trusted each other, loved and hated each other. Kinda like an old married couple that didn't quite get along. Anyway, Bart was killed Wednesday before last riding his Harley 2:15 in the morning. That's not a real surprise that he would be riding that late. The real surprise is his death has been officially listed as undetermined with no autopsy before cremation. I hadn't seen him for several years but wish I'd had one more chance to argue and fight with him. RIP Bart.
Yeah, I've got a hand full of these too. They'll pop up on a hunt or fishing trip. You just have to talk to them privately and not often. Then the occasional miracle might happen if you're fortunate.

Sorry for your loss. I find it very odd that no autopsy would be performed, especially in an undetermined cause of death and not knowing if it was medical issue related. RIP, Bart !

Yeah, I've got a hand full of these too. They'll pop up on a hunt or fishing trip. You just have to talk to them privately and not often. Then the occasional miracle might happen if you're fortunate.
Had a friend that was poisoned by his wife and her secret girlfriend. Weird part was that they were old people. They threw his stuff out after the next day cremation. No autopsy, I contacted the authorities. Nothing came about, he was cremated! He crawled around in his house for 3 days and his wife never dialed 911. He was a Pioneer of fishing and hunting. Always missed too.

Yup. My mistake. I had a “WTF are you talking about ??“ with rkstillhuntin 🤷‍♂️

I've had friends pass from single occupant auto and bike crashes. A millisecond decision/distraction is all it takes on a motorcycle. Distraction, lack of concentration, health event...
I rode for over 2 decades, rarely after dark.

Sorry for your friend.

Why do you think they would do an autopsy on a motor vehicle crash?
The bike was hardly damaged. There's usually a cause of death other than undetermined especially when there was very little trauma. My guess knowing him like I did was that it was a heart attack or stroke. In 65 years of riding it was only the second time he went down and the first time he was hit from the side by an idiot. Bart was a VERY experienced rider. In younger days he would put Harley's through the ringer for one of the more famous Bay Area bike builders.

Didn't take it as crude at all. CHP said no obvious injuries, nothing broken. When a body is splattered or mangled it not hard to tell cause of death. When there's a dead old fart laying near a mildly damaged bike, it kinda makes you wonder what happened to him. As far as the family not wanting an autopsy, it's possible that his kids may have chimed in but I doubt it. His wife was a nut case.

Yes, severe trauma to the body in a m/c crash leaves little to guess the cause of death. In some cases where a helmet is not worn, severe head trauma is readily visible and apparent, so that too leads to knowing a likely cause of death.

If there's no suspicion of foul play, an autopsy doesn't really do much. It sounds like he either had a medical issue prior to the crash or he died in the crash. Either way, he's gone and no autopsy result is going to change that. Do you want them cutting his body open, cutting his head open, etc. to satisfy everyone's curiosity? I say cherish the memories.

QQ

If there's no suspicion of foul play, an autopsy doesn't really do much. It sounds like he either had a medical issue prior to the crash or he died in the crash. Either way, he's gone and no autopsy result is going to change that. Do you want them cutting his body open, cutting his head open, etc. to satisfy everyone's curiosity? I say cherish the memories.

QQ
I agree mostly, sort of. It's a little bit of closure to know why instead of a whoops, yeah he died but we don't have any idea how.

Back