Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Pre Season Sheep Scouting...(Now with Pics :) )

Moosie

Grand poopa
T-bone came up from Nevada and We scouted for Sheep today... Although it was jsut on a Topo ;)

He was up for a Family reunion and We spent the better part of 3 hours going over stratagy and looking at topos and Gear list.

7 weeks and 1 day.........

[ 08-05-2004, 20:26: Message edited by: Moosie ]

Is he going to be able to go with you on the first run? I think that will really help. Hows the training? I saw your gear list and did not see coffee? Surely you aren't going into the middle fork caffeine free?

Originally posted by Ovis:
Did you bother to give him his fish?
CCCCcccchhhhhhhhhitttt !!!!! (Although he's still in town I'll track him down !!)

Elkhunter.. That sounds ALOT closer, Thanx

He is going with me on the First run... Training is Slow.. But I'm gonigto hit it hard (Thats a Comment I'll look back on saying , Why didn't I start earlier :eek: )

I'm a big pop Drinker and NO coffee drinker... I'm going Cold turkey on caffeine the Day I leave my truck :eek: Hope I make it. I know a good buddy get's Headaches.

You had some great discussions on gear, boots, guns, bullets etc. Give us a rundown on what gear etc you have decided to use, and why. That would be very interesting, and then we can compare it to your results when you return with the horns.

I will get the List out. I haven't finalized it yet but will be finalizing up the list Sunday with all the Equipmant and Weight and reason for items.

Bullets are still in the Air but thats the Least of my Worries. According to people here the Bullets I've used the last 5 years to Kill more Big game Animals then alot of hunters are apperently worthless and good for nothing..... So if I buy any other ones I should be good to go ;)

I'll look forward to the list, and I'll post my own BC stone sheep list monday as well.

Sheep are just the opposite end of the spectrum from Mtn goats. They are really easy to kill, so just about any bullet will work. If I were you I'd take ballistic tips so you won't be tempeted to pound one of those 350 middle fork bulls thats watching you glsss for sheep. Smoking a big wapiti can really mess up a good sheep hunt.

Well.. I finnaly Uploaded the Pictures... or 3 ofthem at least...

Here is us checking out our Home for the 8 nights... :

big_enuf.sized.jpg

And Here is Me on the Left.. T-bone and Warren on the Right cussing and Discussing the PLAN !!!!

maps_a.sized.jpg

Not sure what public school you went to, but 1 pic plus 1 pic would equal 2. Where is the 3td upload? I see you pointing at a relatively steep hill. You may want to pursue something less physical until you pull that gut out of your lap
Is that the same veggie tray you had sitting out the week prior?

Ovis,

Maybe we can just call Moosie the "Great White Hope".... That boy needs to get outside a bit, look how sick he looks compared to T-Bone...

I'm guessing T-Bone is gonna be carrying ol' Moosie out of the hills...... I just hope he makes it easy on himself, and quarters Moosie before trying to pack him out....

I figured this one wasn't as Good so I jsut posted the 2....

maps.sized.jpg

I'll keep my GUT, that way (I don't need to Pack much food in :D

That was the Same tray... Different food, Same tray.

Your boots look good, (that tree hugger gear is superior to hunting stuff for this kind of hunt) you got the food list down (still can't imagine heading into unit 27 with no coffee), your gun and bullets are proven, The gut is apparently staying until at least the third day in the woods, Now you just got to get the mental game down. YOur two mentors hav3 both hunted the unit, and they can tell you what its like to go for days on end and not see a ram. If you can handle that, you'll eventually nail a monster ram.

Ithica, If anyone knows the Logistics of trying to Scout were I'm gonig it should be you. It's 8 hour drive to the trail head, 1.5 day Pack in (16 miles of not so Friendly terrain) and then 1 day of scouting and then Returning you're burning 5 days for a 1 day Scouting trip. I'd rather save the Vacation days and spend nmore time in the hills when I can Pack a rifle

All that being said though, I'll have some Pictures Tursday NIght :D (If the plane flys close enough ;) )

I am wondering which Kifaru that is. IS it the longhunter or the siwash? If the longhunter is it the standard or the guide?

Also, what horsepower is the lawnmower?

Thanks.

While I'm totally ignorant when elevation hunting is concerned, I can't "ditto" enough on the use of topo's...........sure saves a lot of time, when you know routes you want to take before you even get there, and it allows for a back-up plan also......excellent tool.

Now where are those pics ??

Rocky,

The pack is a Longhunter Rendevouz (the largest pack). I like the pack a lot. It compacts down and stabilizes the smaller loads fine as well. It expands out another 16" on the top from what the picture shows.

Back