Prayers for SYTES

Quick update. Mentally feelin awesome. Physically feelin good touggest workouts by far!

I'll fill in more when I return. Nothing down... I could really care less... just lovin it!

That's putting things in perspective for me, glad to see you're getting out and enjoying it!

Your determination and thankfully your progress have made this the best thread on the site. Thanks for updating us and good luck to you, just being there is an amazing accomplishment!

Charles, you're making my rotator surgery from 5 weeks ago seem more like a stubbed toe --- so cool to see your progress through the past months!!! Onward and upward ...

This is so AWESOME!!!! Thanks for making my day brighter brother with your post at hunt camp, and quick review of your tremendous recovery and progress! GOOD WORK. GOD BLESS. GET A BIG ONE SYTES!

Now that is REALLY going to speed up the healing process!

Glad to see you're out and about and getting some mountain air through the lungs.

Hope the hunting gods shine upon you, you certainly deserve it!

Thanks for the comments! Always a boost to read your posts! Everyone here has been instrumental in my recovery - when it hits the fan... my wife or I or both of us read this thread and it gives us that extra edge to cut through the clutter.

Good time for a pic... I became pretty darn excited when I saw this... Figured I was close to a hunt talker's honey hole! Haha! :W:

picture.php

This was my first trip away from the Missoula area since the accident - and a great getaway it was! My brother, the one whom I believe was the first to respond to this thread on my behalf, vowed to fly up from Colorado if I was walking by hunting season.

Initially, we planned to cycle in however the snow forecast stumped that thought. We opted to set up base camp with all the creature comforts and bring my wife's ATV with us to venture to start points and the ole, "get bucked off, get back in the saddle".

picture.php

First trek was a hike up steep terrain then about 2+ miles bordering some private property boundary. The hike up was pretty tough though very rewarding. Usually wears me a bit in good condition. down hill, was much more challenging!

picture.php

As said in the past, select pictures do not show the falls, trips, loss of balance, etc. I fell once on that hill going up and once in the game trail area trying to step over some downed trees...

picture.php

The next day we went to a closed road initially intended to cycle (not a stitch of snow), and did a 5-6 mile trek. Mostly road some hill ups and downs. I had not seen wolf tracks in this area in the past, though there they were... looked like a 3 or 4 pack. Scat and all. Maybe a day old. No where near the normal elk tracks at main crossing areas. My thought was the opening season hunt and the wolves had the elk moving elsewhere.

After this trek, or actually the last mile returning, my legs were shot - j-e-l-l-o shot!
Saturday eve and Sunday we enjoyed camp. A bit of fishing and just appreciating the opportunity to return to this setting.

Hunt wise, I really was not the most silent cat in the woods... nor had I an opportunity to pre scout the area... Trying to think of other excuses to share though in the end - it was a fantastic trip! Without pre scouting and my noise, I felt the odds would be tougher. Would it have been great to drop one? Sure! However, just to get out there, breath the mtn air, get back on the saddle, stand tall and mostly feeling humbly thankful to no end for my recovery has me feeling pretty darn great!

Wish I had a trophy / hero shot to share though in the end the hero's have been the fantastic rehab teams and my fantastic wife! I am currently in a day therapy program Mon, Wed, Fri 2 PT 1 OT session each day at Community Medical. Meds have and still are dramatically reducing, the sessions are getting tougher (I dig it!) and I finish the end of this month, returning to light duty mid December with the hope I may return to full duty the start / mid February... We will see. My personal rehab is not done though with the direction and guidance thus far, I'll continue kicking myself! I would love to share names of my doctors, PT, OT, Nurses, Assistants as everyone has made this venture one I will walk away mentally sharper an physically better then everyone ever expected considering being alive, quadriplegic, two neck surgeries and the transition ups n downs. My work has been 100% supportive, sending down co-workers often and co-workers/friends coming down on their own... and my wife, without her - this trek would have been drastically much more challenging!

Anyhow, figure this is a good way to say thanks to YOU for the massive out pour of support, cards, gifts, visits... YOU have been an unexpected gift from above. Thank You, friends!

I fell down on a perfectly flat trail and trashed one knee and both elbows, but saved my rifle. Note to self: When you are looking around look ahead of you once in awhile.....
I am sure there WILL be more stories from you which will continue to amaze us and remind us that some of our stuff is trivial.

The tent looks great Sytes, glad to see everything came together. You climbing that hill looks like a hero shot to me after what you've been through.

I went to my buddies farm to zero my rifle this afternoon, as I was leaving I bumped into him as he was driving his quad out of the yard with a huge water drum on the back full of weed killer, crazy as it might seem I thought to myself that looks pretty 'iffy' knowing the steep terrain he drives on, but he has been my friend for over 20 years and knowing him as I do he would have told me to bugger off if I told him of my concerns, but off he went with his farm hand to the fields.
I walked in home 10 minutes later and my wife said he had just called on his cell, his farm hand was driving him to the emergency department (I have yet to find out why they didn't call the emergency service) he was driving uphill and the quad tipped up and rolled on him.
He asked us to ring his wife, a few hours later his wife arrived at my place, he has broken 6 ribs, collar bone broken in 2 places and also his elbow is badly injured.
But thankfully no lasting damage, he had a close shave, just like Sytes, take care out there chaps.

Richard

Poor chap, things got a little worse, in addition to the above his lung collapsed and his shoulder blade is also fractured, a lesson learnt me thinks.
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back