Positive Public Land News

Always happy to hear about more land being put into public trust. I stopped hunting/fishing this area because of the number of griz encounters. Elk seem to be on the rise, which is good of course. And if you are a flyguy and not fished the Blackfoot, then you need to add it to your list.

BHR,

I would prefer to have you explain the role that The Nature Conservancy takes in these transactions.

You are the one that is the expert on these, you brought this feel-good story to us, you are the site's resident expert on all the good things Plum Creek Timber does.

Please get the rest of us up to speed.

Thanks.

My only concern with BLM picking up property in this area is any potential for domestic sheep grazing. There is a struggling wild sheep herd in the area. I will include this in my comments to the BLM.

BHR,

I would prefer to have you explain the role that The Nature Conservancy takes in these transactions.

You are the one that is the expert on these, you brought this feel-good story to us, you are the site's resident expert on all the good things Plum Creek Timber does.

Please get the rest of us up to speed.

Thanks.

It's complicated. They bought around 117,000 acres of Plum Creek Land on short notice 2 years ago, with little idea what to do with it. They are now trying to do what's best for them, the land, and the communities around this land. Good public meeting at Lubrecht last Monday night. I will post a link to meeting minutes.

Why would this go to BLM and not the Forest Service?

1: It links up with existing BLM properties

2: People that work at the local BLM are engaged

3: Local people involved with the process prefer the BLM over the USFS.

Right now it's only a early stage proposal. Lot's of things need to happen to make it a reality.

Why would this go to BLM and not the Forest Service?

RobG,

I think BHR is right, and for the record, I'm pretty familiar with that area.

I think it does make sense for the BLM to control some of that area. The Southeast portion in particular. That area has a lot of low elevation and south facing slopes off Game Ridge and borders Ninemile prairie. Lots of grazing administration, and the trees that are left on Game Ridge will not be harvested for a long time on those south slopes.

The Gold Creek country, that's a different story there. Not sure why, other than the reasons given by BHR, that would be of much interest to the BLM. By Montana standards, that country is a tree factory, which, IMO is better administered by the FS.

If this happens, it will be interesting to see what the BLM does with the existing travel plan, in particular Gold Creek, Burnt Fork, Angel Creek, Sunflower Mtn, Game Ridge, Black Mountain, Belmont Creek, etc. etc.

There aren't many acres of that country that I haven't set foot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back