State Land in Jackson, WY headed for auction

I don't know all of the intricacies of this type of stuff, but this is exactly where my mind went as well. I have no idea what kind of power a land board has in terms of being able to purchase, but it seems to me that getting $80 mil for 640 acres could be used to purchase a ton of land elsewhere in the state that could be opened up to the public and generate considerably more revenue than the current 640 acres.
Not if your State has a "no net gain law" in State land holdings and we're currently in a situation where the State has land in excess of the cap.

Like I said, tons of great ideas but implementing them isn't as easy as typing on a hunting board.

Just sayin'...

Not if your State has a "no net gain law" in State land holdings and we're currently in a situation where the State has land in excess of the cap.

Like I said, tons of great ideas but implementing them isn't as easy as typing on a hunting board.

Just sayin'...
Sounds like a horrible law? To what reason and benefit was that created?

I would argue that actually having this thread and talking about it along with bringing up ideas actually does help because it does assist in spreading the word and educating those here about what is going on. Its a first step.

I would argue that actually having this thread and talking about it along with bringing up ideas actually does help because it does assist in spreading the word and educating those here about what is going on. Its a first step.
Just a guess but I’d bet it was created because legislators don’t like public land and really enjoy private property and tax revenue

I don’t know wyomings situation with funding education but in Idaho I’m not sure it would matter how much revenue is actually generated, the legislature would still find ways to poorly fund education and continually shift the burden to local school districts to hammer people with levies. That and it helps keep the population dumb and easily controlled

Lots of horrible laws, changing them takes action, and more than typing on a hunting board.

You either make things happen, watch what happens, or wonder WTF happened.

When were you actually planning on making something happen?

Lots of horrible laws, changing them takes action, and more than typing on a hunting board.

Now if you tell me what to do. Like most I'm sure, I have no clue where to even begin.

write a letter - make a call
Sure, I can look up the land board commissioners as a start. Look up all of the WY state senators and reps and write them. I'm not there yet though because I don't know what to even write. Right now, I would probably write them and copy and paste my posts from here and pretty much be advocating that they sell the land. They will respond (if they do at all) just like Buzz and say that while it would be great to look at it that, that's not how it works. Ok, now what?

A well known real estate tactic to convince a neighbor to pay more for land than they should is to threaten an auction that would bring in an undesirable entity. Probably what the land board is trying to do to the feds.

If the state actually sells they'll piss the money away quickly and have nothing left to show for it. Given the location of the property it will likely appreciate in value faster than any investment they could possibly make with the proceeds. What's the rush?

Unlikely Wyoming really needs another wealthy celebrity or athlete buying more property.

With the scent of money in the air politicians lose their minds. Screw the wild places and wild things - go for the gold!

You tha man Buzz, always appreciate your posts.

2EEB9ED0-94E4-41AF-872F-05FB5AF0C554.jpeg

Just sayin'...
Like I said, I have no idea about any of the intricacies of these types of things. All I was saying is that it's where my mind went. We all know that governments, boards, legislatures, etc. very rarely ever can or will do what seems to make the most sense. It seems from what you said that this is a 'can' issue with the current legislation.

it's interesting how different the politics of each state can affect things like state land.

in colorado the public is pounding on the door with hammers demanding CPW take all of the property they buy or lease on wintering range and other incredible habitat for the purpose of preserving that habitat and creating access for hunters and anglers be opened to the floodgates of mt bikers and trail runners with no seasonal restriction. randy's recent podcasts opened my eyes to how much of a "beneficiary versus stakeholder" issue that is or, well, that it shouldn't be an issue becasue of that.

every where you look it seems like we're teetering on losing everything. the red states it seems like it's the animals and land and in the blue states its the ability to hunt at all that's eroding. the pro's of a more blue state on an issue like state land still comes with problems.

Call it a short term “win” for public lands.
An exchange or sale with the NPS would seem like the best resolution if they’re dead set on selling IMO. It won’t be $80million, but it’ll still be a huge chunk of change for the State Schools, and future kids will still have a place to visit versus a bunch of “ranchettes”.

The hypocrisy of the osli and land board is staggering.

They claim to have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize the monetary gain with the land sale in question, ok great.

But, they refuse to reappraise Columbus Peak property in that 2 year old exchange that is clearly way undervalued with an old appraisal.

I guess when the exchange benefits a private individual who contributed to a few local campaigns, fiduciary responsibility to school kids is less of a priority.

It's ridiculous and such a blatant example of making up the rules as they go along.

And @Oak has it right, classic case of why the states should never be trusted in regard to federal lands transferring to States.
Corrupt Federal Politicians or Corrupt State Officials. Both doofuses. Republican or Dumbocrat, it doesn't matter. Remember when your congressman used to have town hall meetings? Gone 20 years ago. They don't care what we have to say. So, Nicki Haley isn't corrupt as shit? She did a good job as Governor of SC???? Go drive I-95 around a holiday. You say, well those are Federal roads. LOLOLOLOLOL.

If only we could raise this much ire over the 1.8 million acres of STL that's off limits in Colorado.
I can't remember what podcast it was that Randy talked about this on, but he basically gave us tips on releasing that land. I'll have to look that up and post it here. But I think the gist of it was that if they want to benefit residents, keep it safe and make money off it (as they have to), releasing it to hunters is a super easy way to do so with fees from hunters (I think NR, but don't quote me there yet)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back