Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Portable Shed, Poor Man's Wall Tent??

TexAg09

Hey guys, I'm still a few years off from really needing a wall tent or anything like that, but I've always got my eye out for cheaper items that work but might not be branded for hunting. I saw one of these portable or temporary sheds for pretty cheap, and was wondering if it might work as a poor man's wall tent? I know I'd need to figure something out if I wanted to use a wood stove, but I might just use a propane heater. Maybe a condensation issue? Other than that what do you think?

I considered it.. my concern was that the plastic walls wouldn't hold heat nearly as well as canvas.

I would think that the condensation issues could be mostly solved by keeping the flaps slightly open.

If I already had one available I'd at least give it a try, but I don't think I'd spend any real money on one.

I've seen them in road camps, but I think the drawbacks would outweigh the cost savings.

I'd say a multi year hunting group that pooled money for groceries and travel expenses could pad the contribution kitty enough to purchase a tent stove combo. Creative financing to buy once, cry once.

There are lots of different options for shelters. Wall tents are nice, but are really a PITA for most hunts, IMO. They're big, bulky, and heavy, and its a setup once per hunt type deal. Breakdown/setup is a couple hour affair.

I would look at a smaller/lighter tent and put a stove jack in it. Cabela's and the like have tents that work well for that application, or look for a tipi. Another option is a ice fishing hut. I see a number of them up here during hunting season. They dont' breath well though, and mine gets super moist inside when ice fishing and using a propane heater. I would expect it to be dripping after a night of sleeping in it with propane heat.

I wouldn't use propane because when it burns it gives off water vapor, wood is much better for drying things out, and keeping things a bit dryer.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still a few years worth of points from needing one, so I haven't looked into renting one.

WTH is this ^^ P.H. ? an attack on all A&M fans? what does this have to do with a question about HUNTING tents?

There are lots of different options for shelters. Wall tents are nice, but are really a PITA for most hunts, IMO. They're big, bulky, and heavy, and its a setup once per hunt type deal. Breakdown/setup is a couple hour affair.

I would look at a smaller/lighter tent and put a stove jack in it. Cabela's and the like have tents that work well for that application, or look for a tipi. Another option is a ice fishing hut. I see a number of them up here during hunting season. They dont' breath well though, and mine gets super moist inside when ice fishing and using a propane heater. I would expect it to be dripping after a night of sleeping in it with propane heat.

I wouldn't use propane because when it burns it gives off water vapor, wood is much better for drying things out, and keeping things a bit dryer.
Every time I think I have my mind made up about a big purchase, someone who's experience/opinion I respect makes me question my decision... ;) I thought I was set on a wall tent, but now I'll be rethinking that. I love the weight/packed size of the tipis that are on the market, but will also be using cots in the future and their sloped walls make that a bit more of an issue. Back to the drawing board! :D

Every time I think I have my mind made up about a big purchase, someone who's experience/opinion I respect makes me question my decision... ;) I thought I was set on a wall tent, but now I'll be rethinking that. I love the weight/packed size of the tipis that are on the market, but will also be using cots in the future and their sloped walls make that a bit more of an issue. Back to the drawing board! :D

I got a Kodiak Canvas, 10x14 a couple years back after contemplating a wall tent. I'm glad I did, because it's so much easier to transport/erect/take down than I imagine a large wall tent to be.

That said, I've had 4 guys in it and there's hardly room to turn around without bumping into each other. I'm thinking that there probably is no one perfect base camp tent for all situations, and I'll probably buy a wall tent down the road for times I prioritize more space/comfort over ease of use.

WTH is this ^^ P.H. ? an attack on all A&M fans? what does this have to do with a question about HUNTING tents?

I guess you may not have spent time around the aTm folks but it's common proactive to give them a hard time for being aggies. Much like people in Montana and Wyoming give Utah and Colorado folks a hard time. They pretty much ask for it.

What does you post have to do with tents?

I had no idea that giving Aggies a hard time was frowned upon here as you seem outraged by aggie jokes. LOL

Here are some more if you can handle it.
http://www.top10best.org/2014/10/best-aggie-jokes.html

Last edited:
I got a Kodiak Canvas, 10x14 a couple years back after contemplating a wall tent. I'm glad I did, because it's so much easier to transport/erect/take down than I imagine a large wall tent to be.

That said, I've had 4 guys in it and there's hardly room to turn around without bumping into each other. I'm thinking that there probably is no one perfect base camp tent for all situations, and I'll probably buy a wall tent down the road for times I prioritize more space/comfort over ease of use.
I think I could get lots of use out of that tent. As the boys grow, and now that I have a cot, I could see running out of space if I use a stove...

Pretty offensive and I am not a Aggie. There are good jokes and these crossed the line.

Oh yea. What part of the aggie joke offended you?

A Texas A&M tailgate awning used for a 4 season tent?
Mentioning an experience with an overweight aggie making a scene at Curt Gowdy last year?
Or the urban dictionary definition of ATM used as a derogtory name for an aTm aggie?

I have never seen an aggie get this upset over an aggie joke. Crazy that a hunter from New Mexico and Iowa are this offended by aggie jokes.

Do you people never talk smack among college sports fans? It's quite common unless you are just one of those people who gets offended easily which there are lot of these days on the interwebz.

Lighten up francis

"An attack on all aTm fans!" LOL

To to answer the OP, hopefully he was not offended as I suspect anyone using TexAG in their name has heard a few aggie jokes. I doubt in the end you will save much but it does not take much to make a shelter. If you really want to save money use a tarp.

But I could definitely see one of these being comfortable. 20x30 would probably work for the whole crew.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aleko-He...MIjoL8zu3N4AIVkCCtBh0ZYwsfEAQYBCABEgI_fvD_BwE

I have kicked around the idea of using an ice fishing hut.

I have friends that use an easy up with the wall kit. They run a buddy heater in there and do alright, but Arkansas doesn't get that cold. Heavy wind would also be problematic I imagine.

There is a group that sets up deer camp in the National Forest that has one of the tents they set up for events or sell fireworks out of. It is red and white striped, everyone calls it the circus tent camp.

Much like people in Montana and Wyoming give Utah and Colorado folks a hard time. They pretty much ask for it.

You do? Maybe if you were any good at it we'd notice! By the way, your "Top 10" Aggie jokes link has 20 jokes on the list, are you a Longhorn by any chance?

Last edited:
To the OP, I think you ought to skip the shed and use something actually designed for camping. The shed may seems like a great cheap option, but I'd bet you'll end up with more issues than you bargained for in making it work in the field.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back