Porcupine Lope

sweetnectar

I happened upon this antelope that was lame in its rear leg and limping my way. After I shot him I could see he had had a bad fight with a porcupine. I know with cattle that quills in the face eventually cause the animal to stop eating and die, or go blind if they get near the eyes. The quills keep working their way in and it becomes game over unless you find them and pull the quills. I also saw that the back part of his rear hoof was tore off and stunk...athlete's hoof??? So I ended up shooting my first antelope buck ever and was able to do it at 15 yards. After the whole incident I got the feeling that this buck simply wanted me to put him out of his misery. I guess if it takes a suicidal handicap buck to get me to shoot something it sure worked. Seems like there is always a new adventure when you least expect it. This one sure got me smiling.
1001111050a.jpg

More quills
1001111053a.jpg

Quills in his front leg.
1001111053.jpg

Congrats on your first pronghorn buck! He's good lookin'! Sometimes you just have to take 'em any way you can get 'em!

Now THAT has got to be the coolest circumstances for an animal I've seen taken. I've never seen that before...antelope and porcupine in a battle. Very cool and congrats!!!

Given where I have encountered most porkies (unless at night, always in deep brushy cover), I find it odd that an antelope would get quilled in the normal course of life.

Makes me wonder if he got a little rutted-up was hassling the porky.

That looks like a really nice buck. Any other pics of him?
Congrats, gotta take a gift animal like that when it comes along.

Guy I work with shot a raggie elk a week or so ago that had some quills in his nose too, not as many as that poor fella though, and they had worked their way in a lot deeper. Wouldn't even want to imagine the feeling, nice goat by the way congrats! Like seeing some success I've had a hard time with them with the bow this year!

We encountered a small muley buck a few years ago with quills in his face much worse than that guy... never could get a shot at him with our archery equipment - but saw him several days in a row.. could easily tell he wasn't himself.

Congrats on the nice lope !!

Dang that looks painful. I think you ended his misery with the nasty hoof and the acupuncture in the nose area. Congrats. I guess that means we won't be hiding together behind a decoy trying to get one. Shucks

Gotta wonder what that lope was doing or thinking when it messed with ol porky

Great job on your first lope, and a really unique one.I'm liking the story and results.

Congrats! nice buck.
I put one down a few years ago that had a broadhead stuck between the bones in the front leg. Yours looks to be in much nicer shape than that one was...but hey, you gotta do what's right, and you did. WTG!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back