Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Porcupine hair

They used to advertise in the back of Fur Fish and Game magazine wanting to buy this and squirrel tails.
Years ago I used to sell to Crazy Crow Trading post the guard hairs and quills. How you get the quills out easy is take a piece of like two or three inch foam rubber about 6"x6" and lightly push on the quills until they are about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the black ends of them. Then push slightly upward as you take it away from the hide. Then you pick out the quills and take a cloth or paper towel and clean off the grease around them. You should do this for the guard hairs also to get the best price. Yes it is a pain in the butt to do this but you will be amazed at how much money you can get if you take the time to do this on a whole hide. In the early 1980's I could around $50.00 for doing this to a large porky...
OH, take out the back hams, if you want to skin it take out the back straps and front legs and cook them. It will amaze you how good they are, if they smell real harsh like pine let them sit overnight in a bowl of buttermilk if it's just light smelling roll in regular flour and fry. It is a very mild white meat. Many a mountain man would make a special attempt to get one for the fry pot..

Moscow Hide and Fur used to buy it. I tried to sell a bunch one time to a guy down south and either the post office or he ripped me off. It used to sell pretty good, but I do not remember how much he offered me for it.

Do people still buy squirrel tails? If so what do they sell for?

Back when I was in high school, (long ago) I use to send mine to Mepp's and they would send you some of their lures in trade. I'm not sure what they are worth for sure.

Wapiti, you can lay it on it's belly with legs splayed out and then on the side and just do like I posted for the quills. You just push the foam rubber into the quills, push forward and lift. It will take practice and you will learn fast how far to press down. Ha,ha.

I have since been told that they might have a stone in their stomachs like a deer does that is medicinal or good luck or something like that. This was from a very old buddy of mine and he seemed serious.

You'll get more for it if you avoid the middle men. I sell direct to a user. good unsorted hair 6 inches or longer runs $20-$25/oz, quills $3-5/oz

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back