MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Poll: What do you think about the Space Force?

I'm not reading ^^^
T.T. is somewhat the same as before..but I think its possible there has been some electro- shock therapy, hence the new T.T.

Or a clever imposter.

Considering that a large percentage of not-too-distant future conflicts will be fought remotely with drones, robots, etc., worrying about what small arms space force operators will have in basic training is a little myopic. We will still need a few grunts, but we will need a heck of lot more nerds programming, deploying, and piloting remote-controlled weapon systems.

If you don't believe me, you haven't been paying attention to the war in Ukraine.
I was an Army truck mechanic in the 20th century. That black box (PCB) on the firewall of a diesel truck was marvelous and mysterious enough for me then. I was in Germany with a truck that did not even have a cab heater in 1995!

I'm not reading ^^^
T.T. is somewhat the same as before..but I think its possible there has been some electro- shock therapy, hence the new T.T.

Or a clever imposter.
I'm posting military stuff here because military-dot-com closed down their discussions boards and other gun/hunting sites banned me for being overkill on soldier talk. It would be nice if there was a prime social media outlet where American soldiers and Vets could "talk shop". They could discuss the Army today or the Army in the good old days. Gun people and hunting people tend to have a close tie with military culture and sometimes the law enforcement community. In America today, the vast majority of new recruits into our military service are hailing from Red states and I figure most of the hunting/gun camp hails from there too. One of the reasons I joined the Army was my fascination with weapons.

I was somewhat of a gun buff even back in the 1980's. I found out many of the soldiers did have much of a passion for guns, however. I have also learned over the years that most people don't join the police force or military because they are gun buffs. Firearms aficionados. In the Army, an M16 does get to be quite a pain to carry over hill and dale after a while. Very rarely does a soldier not on a range or battlefield have any live ammo with BULLETS to shoot. I would pull guard duty in the field all alone in the dark with nothing but blanks to shoot if some wild animal attacked me out of the woods. I felt that stupid mil-spec AR rather useless weight to me in scary places without real bullets. One time I was reading a Guns and Ammo magazine in the barracks and another soldier (one that sounded like he was from California or some big metropolis, certainly not one with a burly good-ol-boy drawl) asked me in a disgusted tone why I was reading all about that gun stuff.

Last edited:
I'm posting military stuff here because militray.com closed down their discussions boards and other gun/hunting sites banned me for being overkill on soldier talk. It would be nice if there was a prime social media outlet where American soldiers and Vets could "talk shop". Gun people and hunting people tend to have a close tie with militray culture and sometimes the law enforcement community. In America today, the vast majority of new recruits into our militray service are hailing from Red states and I figure most of the hunting/gun camp hails from there too.
🤔

I liked it much better when the Air Force was under the Army. AF cargo plane crews treat Army soldiers on board like fresh convicts in the joint. I know. I was an American Army soldier who had the misfortune to be onboard an AF cargo plane in 1991.
On my last deployment with an unnamed JSOC unit we would fly on the AF JSOC birds (mostly 130s) 2-3 times a week around AFG. On one flight to Mez we had to evacuate the birds (we were waiting to taxi) because some RET#$D at Nellis CRASHED a drone right in front of us on the runway spilling a bunch of fuel. We all ( a few of us support guys and a BUNCH of operators) get off the bird and are waiting in mid Summer on the tarmac. The AF crew had a 150 qt cooler full of ice and water and after about an hour one of the bearded ones start for a water from the cooler. The f^&king crew chief steps in front of the cooler and says "Air crew only"........Op gets about half an inch from his nose and quietly says "Like YOU are gonna stop any of us" and belly laughs. We all slowly walk one by one to the cooler pulling water and death staring the pogue......good times!!!

Considering that a large percentage of not-too-distant future conflicts will be fought remotely with drones, robots, etc., worrying about what small arms space force operators will have in basic training is a little myopic. We will still need a few grunts, but we will need a heck of lot more nerds programming, deploying, and piloting remote-controlled weapon systems.

If you don't believe me, you haven't been paying attention to the war in Ukraine.
The problem is, even now, those nerds with no stomach for violence are causing a problem. Throughout the last set of conflicts you would be astounded and sickened at the number or UAV remote operators (many at Nellis in NV) have come down with "PTSD" from watching a tv screen, have gotten medical discharges/retirements and are now getting large payouts because their lil tummies got upset playing video games. Even without an emphasis on small arms, a structure and tough basic military training does a lot to develop folks with discipline, order and some sort of spine.

Hell, just trying to get the AF UAV pogues to drop CAS from a drone is a damn 5-10 minute process because they have to go through a "checklist" while actual combatants are getting shot at.......

Barney Fife????
I was thinking of Smokey Bear, Mr. Wolf or Mr. Tom Cougar.

Well, not these Smokey Bears. That's why they did not sport the big bad round brown hats at the rifle range.

"Being here has GAVEN me a whole new perspective on being a drill sergeant...."

Some of the worst grammar is heard in the military, particularly the "DA" Army. You can't spell Dumb Ass without DA.

Last edited:
Space force; where the smart people go who want to serve in the military.

I'm posting military stuff here because military-dot-com closed down their discussions boards and other gun/hunting sites banned me for being overkill on soldier talk. It would be nice if there was a prime social media outlet where American soldiers and Vets could "talk shop". They could discuss the Army today or the Army in the good old days. Gun people and hunting people tend to have a close tie with military culture and sometimes the law enforcement community. In America today, the vast majority of new recruits into our military service are hailing from Red states and I figure most of the hunting/gun camp hails from there too. One of the reasons I joined the Army was my fascination with weapons.

I was somewhat of a gun buff even back in the 1980's. I found out many of the soldiers did have much of a passion for guns, however. I have also learned over the years that most people don't join the police force or military because they are gun buffs. Firearms aficionados. In the Army, an M16 does get to be quite a pain to carry over hill and dale after a while. Very rarely does a soldier not on a range or battlefield have any live ammo with BULLETS to shoot. I would pull guard duty in the field all alone in the dark with nothing but blanks to shoot if some wild animal attacked me out of the woods. I felt that stupid mil-spec AR rather useless weight to me in scary places without real bullets. One time I was reading a Guns and Ammo magazine in the barracks and another soldier (one that sounded like he was from California or some big metropolis, certainly not one with a burly good-ol-boy drawl) asked me in a disgusted tone why I was reading all about that gun stuff.
So if you intended to be some hardened killer of wild animals. Why mechanic versus infantry?

The problem is, even now, those nerds with no stomach for violence are causing a problem. Throughout the last set of conflicts you would be astounded and sickened at the number or UAV remote operators (many at Nellis in NV) have come down with "PTSD" from watching a tv screen, have gotten medical discharges/retirements and are now getting large payouts because their lil tummies got upset playing video games. Even without an emphasis on small arms, a structure and tough basic military training does a lot to develop folks with discipline, order and some sort of spine.

Hell, just trying to get the AF UAV pogues to drop CAS from a drone is a damn 5-10 minute process because they have to go through a "checklist" while actual combatants are getting shot at.......
I think it is very human to have mental/emotional problems killing people who will never be able to fight back.

We just have to make it like Enders Game - make our remote controllers think they are playing a game.

So would you assess that a guy behind a sniper rifle also shouldn't be affected by PTSD from taking life. Unless someone has personally poked someone in the eye with a sharp stick, I am not very interested on their opinions about what that entails...

Might want to give this a read…

I'm a civilian that works as a contractor for the Space Force. Despite what you think about the newish delineation between the branches (AF/SF) - the memes, the Steve Carrell flop on Netflix - the area that I work in specifically is absolutely critical to us all which is 'maintaining the catalog' - ensuring that we track all the crap that Elon and others are constantly sending into LEO. The monitoring of Space (LEO/GEO) again, is absolutely critical to us as humans. *inhale* having a working communication network, weather, the safety of any humans on the ISS or otherwise. The people that I work for on the government side are some of the smartest people I have ever had the privilege to design for. The math that they do on napkins around orbital mechanics, the immensity of the jobs that they do - all on archaic systems - it's impressive as hell.

If you have any question of if this shit really matters or not... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

~Written from a cabin in the middle of nowhere on Starlink internet, which is made possible because of the smart as hell people at the USSF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back