Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Political/warranty calls broke the scale!

Sytes

Yes, I know the math of seven digits (MT 406) though what the hell? Every day it seems I add a few more "blocked" #'s.
Jokers and clowns... He we are, stuck in the middle... That and warranty calls - don't they charge for phone numbers or are they simply free?

I'd imagine this is due to calls/emails, etc for voicing thoughts about this and that though bloody hell!

Seems the bulk for myself are Nevada and "Home" State, MT.

The funniest is when I get calls from places like Poland where they apparently forgot to mask the number of origin to match up to something in the geographic vicinity of my cell’s area code to try and fool me into answering.

My last name is Norwegian, but it also happens to be a surname for a hundred thousand Chinese people. So many times a week, some bastard in China calls me - often with a 406 number.

The telemarketers and scammers must have some way to identify your location, and poach the prefix of another number when they pass their call through. I know because before I figured it out, some Chinese-speaking dirtbag from Butte, MT called me, but when I called it back just to see what would happen, some guy who definitely wasn't Chinese was like, "Dude, I did not call you", and I believed him.

My last name is Norwegian, but it also happens to be a surname for a hundred thousand Chinese people. So many times a week, some bastard in China calls me - often with a 406 number.

The telemarketers and scammers must have some way to identify your location, and poach the prefix of another number when they pass their call through. I know because before I figured it out, some Chinese-speaking dirtbag from Butte, MT called me, but when I called it back just to see what would happen, some guy who definitely wasn't Chinese was like, "Dude, I did not call you", and I believed him.
I think they call that "neighbor spoofing." Using the same area code, or even the next three digit locality prefix might make you more likely to pick up thinking its someone local. I get a ton of calls using my area code and the locality prefix thinking it'll work on me. Thing is, I have an older NYC area code* that's been nearly maxed out and is rarely given to new numbers (actually the first cell overlay area code ever used in US telecom). There's literally more than a million other people with the same area code. The neighbor thing doesn't really work with that one and makes it much easier for me to screen BS calls.

The Chinese calls are especially predatory. They'll leave messages in Mandarin telling someone that their family back home is in some kind of serious trouble and that they need to send money to the "embassy" to sort it out. I get a ton of these just 'cause they're spitballing NYC numbers thinking they might get a Chinese immigrant.

They also try this crap domestically on old folks. My grandfather got a call a few years back from someone posing as a bondsman or something, saying his grandson had been arrested in Memphis. I'd been out of cell range while it played out and had some concerned voicemails once I got back to civilization. Fortunately he didn't fall prey to the scam. But, I had to ask why he assumed that I was the grandchild who'd been arrested since they didn't specify a name. Ha!

*Having this area code does make it a real pain to get folks to pick up or have calls returned when trying to get type 2 block management access. D'oh!

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back