Please delete my password

Folks come and go. Whether or not you feel there are more members and threads that are a detriment to hunting than are useful to it, is irrelevant to you publicly proclaiming you want your password deleted. Too bad you couldn’t see that.

This “community” exists and is maintained due to capital and time given by .0001% of its members. HuntTalk is a great place that I am grateful for.

Right here^

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem...

Sarcasm aside, Tim has done a hell of a lot for sportsmen and women. His passion and commitment to the resource are second to none. I will miss him.
He definitely had a wealth of knowledge I noticed in my short time here.

I no longer believe that the number of (active) true, useful public land/hunting advocate members outnumber the folks whose posts are a detriment to us all.
This forum would be less valuable if it served only as an echo chamber to reinforce your own opinions or beliefs. If you have exceeded your capacity for learning and for hearing ideas and that differ from your own, then you would likely be better served by a carefully selected list of "friends" on Facebook who will give you the atta-boy slap on the back (y) when you expound on the virtues of being a good conservationist. I have had my own quitting moments in the past, and have even unpacked them on the forum. But I've learned that we do make a difference, through the PMs I've received asking how to get more involved, from the people I've met in agency meetings that have mentioned postings on Hunttalk, and from the ruler raps on my knuckles I've received from people who I had no idea read this forum. And I often find value in reading opposing opinions, if for no other reason than to adjust my game plan accordingly.

I can understand the feeling that one's time and efforts are better served in a more focused manner, but this place serves as an incredible medium to broadcast conservation messages and I am grateful to Randy for sharing the platform for that purpose.
Folks come and go. Whether or not you feel there are more members and threads that are a detriment to hunting than are useful to it, is irrelevant to you publicly proclaiming you want your password deleted. Too bad you couldn’t see that.

This “community” exists and is maintained due to capital and time given by .0001% of its members.
A lot of truth here.

When the going gets tough, the "tough" quit...

I'm not surprised to see you go, and honestly surprised you lasted as long as you did considering how strong your opinions were and how easily your feelers got hurt by differing opinions.
For some odd reason your post caused me to remember this favorite joke:

There once was a monastery that was very strict. Following a vow of silence, no one was allowed to speak at all. But there was one exception to this rule. Every ten years, the monks were permitted to speak just two words. On the anniversary of his first ten years at the monastery, a monk was called to the office of the head monk. "It has been ten years," said the head monk. "What are the two words you would like to speak?"
"Bed... hard..." said the monk.
"I see," replied the head monk.
Ten years later, the monk returned to the head monk's office. "It has been ten more years," said the head monk. "What are the two words you would like to speak?"
"Food... stinks..." said the monk.
Yet another ten years passed and the monk once again met with the head monk who asked, "What are your two words now, after these ten years?"
"I... quit!" said the monk.

"Well, I can't say I am surprised," replied the head monk. "All you ever did was complain."

This forum would be less valuable if it served only as an echo chamber to reinforce your own opinions or beliefs. If you have exceeded your capacity for learning and for hearing ideas and that differ from your own, then you would likely be better served by a carefully selected list of "friends" on Facebook who will give you the atta-boy slap on the back (y) when you expound on the virtues of being a good conservationist. I have had my own quitting moments in the past, and have even unpacked them on the forum. But I've learned that we do make a difference, through the PMs I've received asking how to get more involved, from can't the people I've met in agency meetings that have mentioned postings on Hunttalk, and from the ruler raps on my knuckles I've received from people who I had no idea read this forum. And I often find value in reading opposing opinions, if for no other reason than to adjust my game plan accordingly.

I can understand the feeling that one's time and efforts are better served in a more focused manner, but this place serves as an incredible medium to broadcast conservation messages and I am grateful to Randy for sharing the platform for that purpose.

A lot of truth here.
Ditto what Terry said....I don't always "agree to disagree" but rather try to see what it is I might actually be missing out in fully understanding. Life gets a bit boring if everyone just parrots whats already out there IMHO.

I like HT better than other forums I have tried. Lots of good knowledgeable people here. However I do see his point. There are some people on here that seem to be against hunting and firearms in general.

For some odd reason your post caused me to remember this favorite joke:

There once was a monastery that was very strict. Following a vow of silence, no one was allowed to speak at all. But there was one exception to this rule. Every ten years, the monks were permitted to speak just two words. On the anniversary of his first ten years at the monastery, a monk was called to the office of the head monk. "It has been ten years," said the head monk. "What are the two words you would like to speak?"
"Bed... hard..." said the monk.
Ten years later, the monk returned to the head monk's office. "It has been ten more years," said the head monk. "What are the two words you would like to speak?"
"Food... stinks..." said the monk.
Yet another ten years passed and the monk once again met with the head monk who asked, "What are your two words now, after these ten years?"
"I... quit!" said the monk.

"Well, I can't say I am surprised," replied the head monk. "All you ever did was complain."
I love that one! I've used it many times.

I like HT better than other forums I have tried. Lots of good knowledgeable people here. However I do see his point. There are some people on here that seem to be against hunting and firearms in general.
I read this forum quite a bit though I haven’t posted much. I’m pretty much a right wing, conservative lleaning 2A guy and, like your statement above, I used to have an assumption that most hunters are too. But that is not always the case. One thing about hunting and the outdoors in general is it is a topic that can unite and let folks find some common ground (like sports used to be). One sure way to not win people to your cause is to tell them they’re views are invalid/dumb/ignorant and you will no longer talk to them. This forum is great and blessed with folks that get along and generally help each other out. I read a quote the other day that said “ Being offended by something on the internet is like choosing to step in dogsh&t instead of walking around it”. Sound advice.

Maybe I am tracking the wrong threads but I haven’t ever seen a single anti-hunting post on HT. And while folks vigorously disagree on how to manage the complex gun control political issue I haven’t seen a single anti-firearms post either.

But to OPs point there are members who support a public land transfer model ala “Utah”. But they seem to be an obvious minority voice - but OP was not one to take disagreement kindly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back