Plans for 2023

1) Apply for impossible elk tag and do that if drawn.

2) Otherwise use up egregious pile of antelope preference points I’ve been accumulating in CO. Any tag I want.

3) If #2, then try also for WY antelope tag(s).

4) Shoot a deer with recurve bow

5) Shoot a deer with a .58 percussion muzzleloader and round ball (since accomplished in Nov. 2022)

6) Spend less money on applications in general. I’ve already permanently abandoned Nevada, Arizona, WY (M/S/G), North Dakota, Kentucky. Probably no apps in Idaho in 23.

7) Sell some guns. Buy some guns.

Last edited:
In 2023 I don’t plan to do much hunting anywhere near my house. It seems I’m finding with small kids the hunts close to home don’t work as well as the ones out of town or out of state that I plan in advance. Something always comes up that derails the plans or I’m busy with family stuff when I would like to be hunting. Next year I’ll just focus more on planning to hunt far enough away that it’s not an issue.

ugh,

i'm even up early today trying to think about this, too many thoughts, need to work out a plan, cause i can't do all of them.

i want to:

- burn wyo pronghorn points (4)
- burn wyo elk points (6)
- colo rifle pronghorn
- colo limited entry bull
- colo early rifle high country mule deer and a bear tag
- late cow tag in colorado

i have enough points to get all of these tags. no way i can do all of these tags next with a 1 year old at home. maybe 2, maybe 3 depending on which ones i pursue.

i should really just burn all the wyoming points and let the colo pronghorn and colo elk tag wait. that's the smartest move. but i'm struggling hard to decide right now, budget will probably look a lot differnt next fall and staying in state might be prudent. lots of great stuff to do.

I have only three out of state trips planned next year.

Dove in Indiana over Labor Day weekend.
In the middle of September take my first bird hunting trip out west and my first try at dusky grouse. I've chosen Montana.
Annual grouse hunt to North Maine Woods in October.

In the middle of September take my first bird hunting trip out west and my first try at dusky grouse. I've chosen Montana.
Hey Birdbander, hopefully someone helps you out with a good starting point in MT. I found a PILE of them at a particular area in CO this year if you change your mind on destination and need an assist there. Flushed couple dozen on foot, no dog, in an hour or so, late Sept. This is a one time HT special offer for Birdbander and Birdbander only… so no other PM’s please. LOL. Terms are that you show better ability to keep a secret than I do!

Will hunt a couple days of archery whitetail with my son at home in MN.

Will hunt a week of the whitetail rut at home.

Plan to apply for archery elk in the Bighorn Mountains. Backup if I don't draw will be to burn my dad's WY antelope points. Backup to the backup is either an OTC elk tag or just hunting another week of archery whitetail at home.

I would like to draw the same elk tag I had this year but the odds are pretty low without at least one point.

I might finally go after pronghorn in WY but I’m on the fence about buying any points this year, time is running out.

Still trying to figure out us building a house on our land but materials haven’t gotten cheaper or more available. All my hunting depends on the house building really. All my extra money should going into savings not points and tags, yet here I am.

1. Alberta Moose hunt for my 40th
2. MT elk hunt with my twin brother for the same reason
3. Hope to chase grouse with the son

I started talking to my wife about it already and she just rolled her eyes… but she didn’t say no, so that’s good

Elk 9 pts
deer 10 pts
antelope 2 pts all Wyoming something is going to happen 🤣
oh yeah bunch of points in Colorado also, but probably burning Wyoming points first over the next two years.
always swing for fence NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back