Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Plains game--need help choosing one more animal

Europe

My granddaughter is allowed to choose 6 animals ( none of the big 5 )

Her 7mm-08 is enough for 5 of her choices --Oryx, Eland, Kudu, Zebra and Sable---but not for the Hippo, which she wanted to hunt, so she will not hunt the Hippo. ( or Croc ) She does not want to hunt the Giraffe or Ostrich, but was considering a "Cat" Serval, Caracal, Cheetah. I could not help but smile knowing how many cat haters there are on the forum, lead by Hunting Wife (-: Anyway, I said no to the cat thought, so that's out.

What would be your 6th animal and remember none of the dangerous 7, Giraffe, Ostrich or any of the "cats" ?

Thanks guys I always appreciate and enjoy your input

Last edited:
Waterbuck, rhône, nyala, reedbuck, impala and warthog in that order of preference for a 6th (noting that oryx and gembok are the same animal).

hard choice! If it were me, I'd be happy with any of the following, Lechwe, springbok, bushbuck, warthog, wildebeast. If pushed into a corner though, I think I would go wildebeast as they are a quintessential African trophy.

I'd loose the zebra and add nyala and bushbuck. She would have a pretty cool size progression of spiral horns.

:):):)

If I ever have the opportunity to hunt the first five mentioned, I will not argue about whatever the 6th one is, it will be o.k. with me.

April, when you say her 7mm-08 is enough. Is .284 the minimum ( or above the minimum) for those animals or is it determined by Joules ?

:):):)

If I ever have the opportunity to hunt the first five mentioned, I will not argue about whatever the 6th one is, it will be o.k. with me.

April, when you say her 7mm-08 is enough. Is .284 the minimum ( or above the minimum) for those animals or is it determined by Joules ?

With a stout bullet like a 140grain TTSX it will do fine. It is the ballistic twin of the famous 7x57 which has take plains game for over a hundred years. The eland would be the only one on the big side, but a good double lung will get the job done. On our trip we only had one shot over 200yds due to heavy underbrush so a 7mm08 still has plenty of pop. Our .308 shooting 150grain TTSX dropped a similar list of plains game with no problem.

I'd loose the zebra and add nyala and bushbuck. She would have a pretty cool size progression of spiral horns.
That would be cool. But I have to say, the zebra hide is going to be my favorite memento of my trip (and I didn’t even have it on my original list).

That's a great list. I would add Impala or wildebeast. Maybe there is a certain species that is causing some local issues, like overgrazing, that could be a consideration to assist with conservation efforts.

thanks guys, your the best --she will be reading these, thank you

mule creek, from your lips to her ears LOL I am also anti zebra.

Vikingsguy----I may not let her read your last post LOL LOL

Mtnhunter--excellent idea!

Randi, the .284 is not a law but a recommendation. The law for the animals she has chosen to hunt is a minimum of 2700 Joule's. Some of the animals now being suggested as the 6th animal could be hunted legally with 1350 joule's ( Impala, Warthog, type animals ) but she will use her 7mm-08 for all hunts/animals. Also Randi, the laws are different in each country. oops I forgot, to hunt the Hippo you need 5400 Joule's

Last edited:
I hear warthogs are fun, and make a cool looking mount.

I have to agree with Greyman. Not only are warthogs fun to hunt, they are fun to watch, you can pick through them while watching them to find just the right one. Hanging out around a waterhole - if that is how you might go about hunting this particular species (I did), will allow her to see and watch a lot of other animals too (I saw an Aardwolf and some really cool birds, among other things).

I have a full skull mount over my office desk on campus. This is way cooler than just the tusks or a shoulder mount, and I WISH I had been smart enough to have the hide tanned flat.

Definitely a warthog for me. I can't even imagine going to Africa and not hunting warthogs. And they are super super tasty too.

My granddaughter is allowed to choose 6 animals ( none of the big 5 )

Her 7mm-08 is enough for 5 of her choices --Oryx, Eland, Kudu, Zebra and Sable---but not for the Hippo, which she wanted to hunt, so she will not hunt the Hippo. ( or Croc ) She does not want to hunt the Giraffe or Ostrich, but was considering a "Cat" Serval, Caracal, Cheetah. I could not help but smile knowing how many cat haters there are on the forum, lead by Hunting Wife (-: Anyway, I said no to the cat thought, so that's out.

What would be your 6th animal and remember none of the dangerous 7, Giraffe, Ostrich or any of the "cats" ?

Thanks guys I always appreciate and enjoy your input
Can I be your grandson and choose 5...... ....i'll bring my own gear and gun. Haha.
I'd take the cheetah, can't go wrong with the warthog though.

I vote for the wildebeest, I didn't plan on harvesting one till I saw them in person. Warthogs are pretty cool looking though, I brought back two. One skull for my son and the other in a should mount. The 7mm-08 will work just fine, I used a 7x57 on all my plains game and they were dispatched quickly even the kudu.

As a Kenyan (in a big part of my heart, just not my passport country) I don't see any of the various hartebeest species listed in any suggestions above, but perhaps they are more East African than southern. And in that vein, were I adding to the list, nyala are intriguing to me as they don't live in "my" country.

The nice thing about a plains game hunt "menu" is that there may be many offerings on the concession that your granddaughter is hunting, and many of those species may not be indigenous to the area. While she may announce her intent to attempt a specific list of species, I imagine that there will be surprises of opportunity that were not anticipated.

I hope you might get her permission and feel like sharing with the HuntTalk crew the story of her adventure.

Kansasdad, I will without a doubt and thank you for the informative post. Excellent info, thank you sir

vaspeedgoar, not out on the actual hunt each day

Eyjonas---the down side is I am one more fall from a wheelchair---so there could be a down side LOL

Hunting wife thanks for clearing that up. LOL

Rzrbck918 Years ago we hunted Africa with a friend from Scotland. who claimed he liked hunting baboons because they reminded him this ex wife---

Thank you all, your contribution to the thread is appreciated, waterbuck, nyala, and warthog have been suggested----- a lot

Back