MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2019 Montana Elk lessons learned... A first timer's story of extreme weather and things I wish I would've known.

BuckeyeRifleman, I wish to apologize to you and others for “hijacking” your post, and delving into the “forbidden” topic of bullet performance and/or construction. I have been reprimanded for my transgressions! memtb

BuckeyeRifleman, I wish to apologize to you and others for “hijacking” your post, and delving into the “forbidden” topic of bullet performance and/or construction. I have been reprimanded for my transgressions! memtb

No worries! Appreciate the apology, caliber/bullet was discussed in the OP, and though I didn’t mean for it to divulge into that discussion it’s only natural for it to get brought up.

Last edited:
One more thing...

Make sure your hunting partner is glassing the animal you intend to shoot. It is much easier to spot and verify hit or miss when you are the observer.

I assumed my partner would automatically get on the glass when I was getting ready to take a shot. He didn’t. That’s my fault for not specifying that prior to. Had he been and seen the impact, either hit or miss it would’ve helped greatly in making more informed decisions after not finding signs of a hit after the fact. Instead we were working off my broken memory of what I saw through that rifle scope, trying to recover from recoil and trying to pick out which one of those running cows had been my original intended target.

One more thing...

Make sure your hunting partner is glassing the animal you intend to shoot. It is much easier to spot and verify hit or miss when you are the observer.

I assumed my partner would automatically get on the glass when I was getting ready to take a shot. He didn’t. That’s my fault for not specifying that prior to. Had he been and seen the impact, either hit or miss it would’ve helped greatly in making more informed decisions after not finding signs of a hit after the fact. Instead we were working off my broken memory of what I saw through that rifle scope, trying to recover from recoil and trying to pick out which one of those running cows had been my original intended target.
Good point. A friend of mine shot a cow elk a few years ago. I was glassing a different one than he shot, and so I thought he may have missed. We quickly figured out we were looking at different elk though. Also no blood. Followed the direction the herd went and found the dead cow maybe 100 yards from where he shot it. He hit high, so I wonder if the chest cavity was just filling up with blood and thats why we didn't find any.

This is alot more detailed account of your hunt than you wrote up on another hunting site. I don’t think you would have gotten much guff if it read like this. I guess you knew what to say from the feedback you got over there.

This is alot more detailed account of your hunt than you wrote up on another hunting site. I don’t think you would have gotten much guff if it read like this. I guess you knew what to say from the feedback you got over there.

Yeah, I realize now there were some things that either could get easily misconstrued by how I worded them, as well as pertinent details I left out in an effort to be brief. (That site also has a 10,000 character limit per post)

Either way I wanted to share here as well, both sites have been helpful in getting me out elk hunting this year, and I guess the story highlights what I wish I had known a few months ago.

The perils of sharing hunts on social media. Expect it. mtmuley

BuckeyeRifleman, I thought that you gave a great and honest report as to the events you experienced. You gave a great education to anyone wanting to listen and learn. You made a few mistakes, you admitted them....we should all be thanking you for your related story. Your story shows what can happen when all of the planets “misalign” ....much through no fault of you own. It should be seen as guideline for “preparing for the worst and hoping for the best”! Your honesty may prevent someone from making a fatal mistake. I don’t know who or where you got negative feedback....but, many people will say things with a keyboard that they wouldn’t to your face!

I applaud you for relating your story! memtb

I stepped on some toes, and it was worked-out through PM’s! memtb

Wait, whutt?? Is it possible to do this on HuntTalk??? (sarcasm mode in full on mode ). I wished this was the way spats were handled more often.

To the OP, thanks for the cautionary adventure tale. Glad that you made it out without life or limb lost.

Thanks for your service to our country, for recounting your experience, and also for choosing to preserve your life for the sake of your family rather than try to be a macho hero.

Sounds like the animal was hit. If I can, I'll have my buddy hang back with the binos where I shot from while I approach where the animal stood before t was shot at. This is especially helpful for longer-range shots. They can tell you where the animal ran off to, as the terrain usually looks different from afar vs. up close.

Thanks for an excellent post. I have made similar mistakes over the years, in many cases more than once. What was amazing was going back and teasing out the mistakes and the lessons, then having the strength and humility to post it twice. Now to go back and read it again.

Well written and a great read!

Glad you guys are alright. Lessons learned. Good reminders here, as I know I have pushed it....

Go get em next time and thanks for your service.

Thank you for sharing the details of your hunt. We all make mistakes. By posting your adventure, you may very well have saved others some distress or even their lives.

Thanks for posting your story. I'm new to the idea of hunting out west and your post is helpful.

I am curious about the effectiveness of the ELDx in 6.5CM. I've seen so many anecdotal stories that support both sides. It would really be nice to understand what is really going on. I'm thinking that the heavier hitters are just more forgiving when having to go through heavy bone or awkward angles..... it just would be nice to have more data.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back