Place to retire

Just curious why you chose interior AK that far north vs south of the Alaska range (Willow/Talkeetna/the Kenai)? I'm a couple years behind you but ultimately plan to do the same thing in 2-3 years.
Much less crowded than the Kenai.
Closer to a major airport and hospital compared to Willow/Talkeetna
Warmer summers, drier climate compared to either.

C17loadclear-------just something to consider

If you are absolutely positive you both want "whatever" for the remainder of your days---(home in mountains, small town, farm,) That is what you should do and dont worry about "what if" in ten years or twenty years. Actually if the small town you buy in today grows to a point that you get more for whatever you bought later. That is o.k. too. Plus, dont worry so much about the crowds, that might happen, in the future, because at some point you wont be leaving the house much anyway .

Also you might want to "expand your horizons", consider that "less might be more", as well as "time apart"

Time apart. You and your wife might prefer to do different things at different times of the year and that is o.k. So dont be afraid to look at two different retirement locations

Less is more. You could consider a smaller home in one location and a townhouse or condo in another location. This town house could also be rented out to vacationers when your not there. Maybe you like to fish the ocean AND hunt the mountains but your wife prefers just one location ( or even better if she also likes to do both ) Alaska during hunting season and Florida during the winter ( as an example ) There are a LOT of variables that become available to you.

Expand your horizons . I have done a lot of traveling and if I was doing it all over today. I would have a place in Costa Rico or Panama AND a place in the states. The place in the states would fit what I wanted to do when in the states--hunt--and, what I wanted to hunt in the States. i.e. Birds or Goats ---Kansas or Alaska. These central America locations have good health care, beautiful scenery, warm, low cost of living, safe, activities ( like fishing ) and close to Argentina for big game hunting and doves.

or Portugal is another location where expat enclaves exist and the country has good health care, it is safe, low cost of living, and from Portugal you can explore France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, etc Hunt, fish, explore and enjoy new cultures and make new friends. Remember you are only there part of the year, at least originally, but who knows as you get older you may settle on one place and sell the other.

or a home in the west and a sail boat in Florida large enough to live on for a couple of months each year while you sail to all the islands in the Caribbean.

Best of luck to you and your wife. It will be fun just "planning" your retirement. But dont get "old" to soon. The years adding up you can not stop, but stay young mentally, dont be afraid to think outside the box

Move to New Zealand! most of the country is public land, free hunting, game everywhere, great people, warm summers and cold winters.

I'd love to do it myself.

We actually looked into it... apparently NR Aliens can’t purchase property anymore, also we’d have to take a 70+ % pay cut.

This is what my grandparents did April, except they made a family thing out of it. They ask their children where they wanted to retire and it was planned around activities that the family enjoy now and in the future. "They" the family has a place in Alaska, Texas, S.Carolina, as well as a boat. The boat is an old boat they fixed up that they can sail to Bermuda and fish from as well. The Texas ranch is a working ranch, but everything else is geared around doing things they want to do, not yard or house work. They have small homes but several off them, plus a float plane and sail boat. They went for toys to play with in retirement Which is used by all family members.:) They are currenting thinking about selling the place in S. Carolina and buying in The Bahamas, Belize or maybe Costa Rico. The west side of Costa Rico I hope. The east side is damn HOTo_O

We considered having 2 places but my wife really wants a horse or 2 Plus dogs and cats and who knows what else...😁

The Air Force was kind enough to get my traveling bone taken care so we are more home bodies in that regard.

I guess seeing my home town grow to a point where it is a completely different town has me a little scared of moving to an area that is booming.

I really appreciate all of the comments..

Take time in the middle of winter and spend some time in the area your interested in. In the area where I live it seems that people come here in the summer and fall in love with it and move here. Then after a couple of winters for some reason they move.
When my wife and I moved to Laramie, we did so the first week of January. I am firmly convinced there is no worse time to see southern Wyoming than January, unless it's maybe February. The entire drive from Evanston to Laramie I was wondering "WTF did we do"? After an adjustment period to the wind, we loved it.

Great points on winter life. We know that we are trading a brutal summer for a cold winter...For example, it is noon right now and 105 heat index...it just sucks.

At least with the cold you can bundle up. I am more worried about the endless cloudy days..That is one thing about the south...The sun is usually out in force.

For folks who are looking at sunny south central Wyoming, remember that it’s not quite the same in winter as it is in the summer. This is a 6 foot fence in my back yard.
View attachment 148696

Anyplace that has something to keep away the flies is a plus to me. Cold weather is the only thing preventing some areas from being completely overrun. Thinking Minot, North Dakota in the dead of winter.

We actually looked into it... apparently NR Aliens can’t purchase property anymore, also we’d have to take a 70+ % pay cut.

I was going to correct you but thought I should double check and by golly you are right. Only people from Australia and Singapore can buy property there.

Just move to my state in Aus, you can hunt deer all year round and when you need a change, NZ is a four hour flight away. Better wages here too

I'm in Montana. Born, raised and all that. I'm not leaving, even after retirement. Everything I love to do is right here. Close. River, lake and I can be in the largest Wilderness area in the lower 48 in a couple hours. Priorities I guess. mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back