Yeti GOBOX Collection

Place to retire

Black hills Sd might fit the bill decent for you. Hits all your key items, also not humid like eastern SD. Also, SD is about as conservative as it gets, so that will work for you as well. Only downside is summer time it is hopping with tourism.
It's also being bought up by folks from Colofornia.

Go North from Priest River and look at Nordman Idaho. Awesome whitetail country that I hunt every year. If my wife could handle the cold, I would consider it.

It's also being bought up by folks from Colofornia.
When you have a single state that is the fifth largest economy in the world, would it surprise you?

California's economy has surpassed that of the United Kingdom to become the world's fifth largest, according to new federal data made public Friday. California's gross domestic product rose by $127 billion from 2016 to 2017, surpassing $2.7 trillion, the data said.May 4, 2018

When you have a single state that is the fifth largest economy in the world, would it surprise you?
I personally haven't physically seen CA buying up land everywhere else, but sure seems like everyone says that CA is buy up all the land and property, of the whole USA.... lol

I personally haven't physically seen CA buying up land everywhere else, but sure seems like everyone says that CA is buy up all the land and property, of the whole USA.... lol
With 12% of the population, and a net 200,000 people leaving last year, the CA exodus is real. People have figured out how to make money there but not live there.

With 12% of the population, and a net 200,000 people leaving last year, the CA exodus is real. People have figured out how to make money there but not live there.
I know I know, but I'm just saying it seems like every town is saying the same dang thing that CA is buying up everything. Maybe its like 1 or 2 people bought a nice house and word spreads and before long it becomes "CA is buying up all the houses here"

Realtors who deal in Black Hills SD properties advertise in Colorado. I have a realtor friend and he told me.

I’ve got 2 20+ acre tracts just south of I-80 between Bozeman and Livingston. Each provides access to sections of State Trust land that otherwise has no public access. One is in a more developed community with electric service and winter road maintenance. The other is off-grid with no winter road maintenance. Latter has a cabin on it (that needs some work), solar, well and septic in good working order. I don’t really need them both, so would consider selling one or the other. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can provide more details.

Flagstaff is nice. Prescott and surrounding area are nice. Utah seems nice for retiring Californians. Morgan, Heber, Camas all seem to fit your description. Logan area of ID/UT would also fit. I won't mention where I am currently looking for my retirement lot (12 years out).

Might be easier to narrow down the Med Center City and draw a one hour travel time circle around it.

In the NW "Mountains" that means:
Spokane, WA
Missoula, MT
Lewiston, ID
Boise, ID
Idaho Falls, ID

I think anywhere you look your Cost of Living (particularly housing) will be higher than your Sanford,NC.

Last edited:
That gif is funny...and unfortunately true and we are gonna be one of those people.

I appreciate the Arkansas ( great bass fishing) suggestion but it still gets as someone had said in the deer section...”balls sweat hot”.

I guess I better had low humidity to the list. We had narrowed it down to eastern Washington, panhandle Idaho, or extreme western Montana. We are conservative but live and let live kind of people.

If we were a little younger we would probably end up in Alaska but it is a little farther away than I want to be at this time.

If you want to see the meme above in full effect come to eastern WA.

Yep. Real estate has gone crazy in my MT town. Nothing to rent and for sale properties selling as quick as they can be listed with prices for both going through the roof.
Yeah, it is straight up bananas here right now. A few houses around me just went for over 500k, they weren't worth 400k 6 months ago.

Reactions: JEL
I want WY and She wants TX and both of are hard no’s on each other’s location. Flagstaff AZ and northern NM are on the table. But I am sure she will find a objectionable problem with anywhere I can get a elk tag. Lol

May the force be with you, you may need it.

flagstaff would be a hard pass for me. I love it, but it’s Way overcrowded. In winter They have a big issue with highways being packed with cars pulling over to see snow, we see it every year. It’s 2 hours from the 5th largest city in America, that only really has three major highways leading out of it, popular ones anyway, one of which heads straight through flagstaff. Payson, Prescott, etc. are nice. And not nearly as packed.

flagstaff would be a hard pass for me. I love it, but it’s Way overcrowded. In winter They have a big issue with highways being packed with cars pulling over to see snow, we see it every year. It’s 2 hours from the 5th largest city in America, that only really has three major highways leading out of it, popular ones anyway, one of which heads straight through flagstaff. Payson, Prescott, etc. are nice. And not nearly as packed.

Have you been to Payson on a Saturday recently? Dude if I was local I’d be out there breaking windows or something. It’s packed all the way to Rye basically every weekend from May to Sept.

We intended to retire to Saskatchewan. My relatives homesteaded there in the early 1900's. We have lots of friends and relatives in the province. We are not afraid of the long cold winters. The hunting, fishing, equestrian, and agriculture opportunities really appealed to us. Canada has a sort of point system for immigration applications. Without children, and a couple other high point items, we did not score high enough. I called Canadian Immigration and explained my government pension income, my wife's future government pension income, our health care that would cover us in Canada, our work history that included my time in Saskatchewan and Ontario working as Law Enforcement, and offered any number of references who were Saskatchewan residents. I was told we would never be accepted due to the lack of points on the score sheet. At about the same time, one of my Game Warden buddies in Saskatchewan, had just arrested an Chinese National for the second time on felony charges for trafficking walleyes. That guy was accepted and became a Canadian citizen :cautious:. We have no hard feelings, and still enjoy out time in Canada. Rules are rules.

Yeah, it is straight up bananas here right now. A few houses around me just went for over 500k, they weren't worth 400k 6 months ago.

My mom and I were chatting about how insane CO has become and how hard it is for my generation to get housing in our home towns. My parents bought their first house in CO 1986, $110,000 4 bed 2 bath, 1 acre, detached garage. Mom and I went on Zillow that house had just been sold for $760,000 last year. They had pictures up “Wllm that’s our kitchen, look you can see where I burned the counter still... and it’s the same carpet”.

So yeah no upgrades in 34 years, adjusted for inflation the price would only be $258,000.

My mom and I were chatting about how insane CO has become and how hard it is for my generation to get housing in our home towns. My parents bought their first house in CO 1986, $110,000 4 bed 2 bath, 1 acre, detached garage. Mom and I went on Zillow that house had just been sold for $760,000 last year. They had pictures up “Wllm that’s our kitchen, look you can see where I burned the counter still... and it’s the same carpet”.

So yeah no upgrades in 34 years, adjusted for inflation the price would only be $258,000.
Yup, we are about the same age I think, I'm really glad we bit the bullet and built our place in 2012. It was terrifying to spend 250k building a house with a kid on the way and a new job, but it worked out. I can't imagine being in that same boat now.
Houses have more than doubled in our area since the early 2000s. My folks moved here from eastern montana in 2002 and bought a house for 110,000, which I thought was insane coming from rural eastern montana. I would have done unspeakable things to buy a house for that price when we built.

Thanks for all of the replies... we are planning on moving next spring so hopefully we will find something before then.

If not I guess building is a possibility unless they are booked out for a year or two.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back