Place to retire

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

I know to some this might be like giving up your secret hunting spot but here goes.

My wife and I had originally planned on northern Idaho ( Priest River) as our retirement spot. Well this area is a very popular area right now. Homes are selling fast and I get it as it is a beautiful place and the people are great.

The problem for us is we want to live in a small mountain town and I am afraid that in 10 years that area is going to really grow.

Our wish list is to be within an hour of a decent sized town with medical services, within a hour of a lake to fish, and on the grid for power.

We are ok with winter conditions similar to priest river but don’t really want to get any colder.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

That gif is funny...and unfortunately true and we are gonna be one of those people.

I appreciate the Arkansas ( great bass fishing) suggestion but it still gets as someone had said in the deer section...”balls sweat hot”.

I guess I better had low humidity to the list. We had narrowed it down to eastern Washington, panhandle Idaho, or extreme western Montana. We are conservative but live and let live kind of people.

If we were a little younger we would probably end up in Alaska but it is a little farther away than I want to be at this time.

Mountain Home, Arkansas.
Outstanding fishing and lake recreation
Low cost of living
Plenty of public land hunting
Hook up camper and be in the Rockies in a day
When I lived in SW Iowa, I met a lot of folks who moved there to retire for the quiet rural life and very low COL. 2nd choice for many of them was AR for the same reasons.

That gif is funny...and unfortunately true and we are gonna be one of those people.

I appreciate the Arkansas ( great bass fishing) suggestion but it still gets as someone had said in the deer section...”balls sweat hot”.

I guess I better had low humidity to the list. We had narrowed it down to eastern Washington, panhandle Idaho, or extreme western Montana. We are conservative but live and let live kind of people.

If we were a little younger we would probably end up in Alaska but it is a little farther away than I want to be at this time.
Black hills Sd might fit the bill decent for you. Hits all your key items, also not humid like eastern SD. Also, SD is about as conservative as it gets, so that will work for you as well. Only downside is summer time it is hopping with tourism.

Locally prices of houses has risen substantially. One house down the street wasn't even for sale and a couple walked up (pick their state of residency) on vacation and offered cash. The owners were moving this weekend. Coworker's wife is a realtor and she confirmed that lately this is more frequent than we know.

Reactions: JEL
You might look at Ione/Metalline Falls WA, Chewelah if you want a little bigger and closer to Spokane, or Troy Mt, little further out, but if I was going one or other with no roots in WA I'd go MT.

How many years do you have until retirement? The places that look good now (especially if they look good to everyone else), may not be so attractive 10 years from now when they are overrun with transplants.

BTW, I moved west from Raleigh. You will NOT miss the humidity!

I want WY and She wants TX and both of are hard no’s on each other’s location. Flagstaff AZ and northern NM are on the table. But I am sure she will find a objectionable problem with anywhere I can get a elk tag. Lol

May the force be with you, you may need it.

Last edited:
Here in WY we have a real estate friend (ok she found our house for us!), she is SLAMMED with people wanting to move to the area, belief is COVID city folks saw the light and want to go rural.

Locally prices of houses has risen substantially. One house down the street wasn't even for sale and a couple walked up (pick their state of residency) on vacation and offered cash. The owners were moving this weekend. Coworker's wife is a realtor and she confirmed that lately this is more frequent than we know.
Yep. Real estate has gone crazy in my MT town. Nothing to rent and for sale properties selling as quick as they can be listed with prices for both going through the roof.

Priest River is far enough away from the major growth that I think you’ll be okay. It may take a bit to find the home/property you’re after, but I wouldn’t give up on the area.

Black hills Sd might fit the bill decent for you. Hits all your key items, also not humid like eastern SD. Also, SD is about as conservative as it gets, so that will work for you as well. Only downside is summer time it is hopping with tourism.
Love the "Hills", was raised in Custer/Rapid City. You are correct summer tourism is crazy! Probably to cold there during the winter though.

Yep. Real estate has gone crazy in my MT town. Nothing to rent and for sale properties selling as quick as they can be listed with prices for both going through the roof.

Same here. The realtor that sold us our house two years ago called us the other day asking if we were interested in selling because they are desperate for listings to meet demand. Really? Here?

Unfortunately, small mountain towns are where everyone wants to be. Any town with the qualities you are looking for is probably not going to put you in any situation much different than Priest River. There’s a reason those are the fastest growing areas in most western states, and COVID has just made it worse.

In Arizona, you could look at Heber-Overgaard. Payson is growing fast. Flagstaff seems crowded to me. In Utah, you could look at Mantua, Paradise or Henefer. In Idaho, look at St. Anthony/Ashton/Driggs.

Another vote for the Black Hills. Just vacationed there last week (I'm one that contributed to the crazy summer tourism) and it seems to check most of your boxes.

I think there are enough little communities around there that you can find yourself nearby with access to all the lakes and mountains. Start poking back into the Panhandle a little further east and south.

I haven't researched it but I'd bet there is a premium for the MT zipcode.

Check out St. Maries ID . Right on the river that feeds into Coeur D'Alene. Little further to an interstate.

Alternately, Orofino, Most of the winter the highway is open, and you have a big reservoir to boat on.

Kettle Falls or anywhere along the Upper Columbia might meet your specs (and no State income tax in WA)

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back